Questions about Ordering Online (specifically Biota)

Nutramar

PotatoPig

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve never ordered a fish online before and there are a couple I want to source that are CB and this seems the best way to go.

my questions are:

Is there a specific season it’s best to order fish? Winter seems riskier for cold exposure - or is that mitigated by good packing?

Does anyone know if Biota does free shipping at all?

/all within US, based in mid-Atlantic region.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

lapin

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weather that causes shipping delays is prob the main reason for dead fish. I would ask my LFS if they would order them for me

AS

Biota_Marine

Jake At Biota
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve never ordered a fish online before and there are a couple I want to source that are CB and this seems the best way to go.

my questions are:

Is there a specific season it’s best to order fish? Winter seems riskier for cold exposure - or is that mitigated by good packing?

Does anyone know if Biota does free shipping at all?

/all within US, based in mid-Atlantic region.
Hey PotatoPig,

We ship through all seasons throughout the year but if there is extreme weather that may cause delays in your package we may contact you to reschedule out of the saftey for the animals. We use 1.5" thick styros and either ice or heat packs to ensure consistent temperatures in your order. We also ship with pure oxygen and some water additives so they fish can survive a few extra days in case of delay.

Unfortunately, we don't have a free shipping threshold anymore as of a year ago, the rates on our website are directly from what we pay to UPS.

Kyleraymond31

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say don’t do it. I received my court jester from @Biota_Marine this morning DOA, basically ripped in two and all they are gonna do is give me $45 gift card and tell me when I’m ready to order again. Let me remind you shipping was $58.81 so I’d have to pay that again. Feel very taken advantage of cause none of this is my doing.

CoachRichardson

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say don’t do it. I received my court jester from @Biota_Marine this morning DOA, basically ripped in two and all they are gonna do is give me $45 gift card and tell me when I’m ready to order again. Let me remind you shipping was $58.81 so I’d have to pay that again. Feel very taken advantage of cause none of this is my doing.
I feel for you. I've been stuck in that situation. Pretty much all vendors I have worked with have stated that the aren't responsible for the shipping. I am afraid something probably happened in the shipping an dit isn't their fault. They are out just as you are out. It is a loss for both. That being said, Dr Reef replaced my fish when it died after a couple of days and paid for the shipping. That was above and beyond. I did have a good experience with Biota on my yellow tang. Shipped well and is thriving. Sorry for your troubles.

AquaCave Logo Banner

areefer01

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is how I go about ordering fish online, regardless of seller. Please be aware also that I've ordered more than my fair share from Biota with a 99% success rate. The one failure was probably my fault in that I forgot to change my refugium drain (normally a slotted pvc pipe) to a strainer cap and turned off the powerhead (not needed for isolation and observation).

• Check vendor for primary purchase (coral or fish)
  • Check shipping cost
  • Check portal for anything additional I want to reach free shipping if available (note - this is what I do for all orders be it dry goods or animals)
  • Check portal or my notes after above to see if it makes sense to place the order. In short am I paying 15 dollars for a shrimp and 80 bucks for shipping that makes no sense. However if I want a coral frag, the shrimp, and a goby now it makes sense
  • Check local weather forecast
  • Check vendor weather forecast
  • Check my calendar for my availability
  • Place order
Few rules I have. I do not order any livestock between November and January. Holiday rush, weather, pressure on carriers, volume, and more make it not worth the risk. If I have to have it then I will reach out and ask them if I can order, pay extra for them to hold, and ship later. June through August months I double check weather and don't ship when the temperature exceeds 100 degrees.

Specifically from Biota to me I've placed an order for Matted Filefish, Radial Filefish, Forktail Blenny (lost, my fault), Gold Lined Rabbit, Pink Square Anthias, Links Goby, Starry Goby (which is actually a rare red line Trimma - yeah!), and a few corals. I'm a bit biased as you can see but I prefer buying direct and captive bred/raised so there is a reason. Well that and Biota is super cool.

Anyway these are my rules more or less and it has helped me reduce losses. LA/DD, Pacific East Aquaculture, Indo Pacific Sea Farms, and a few others. Long and short of it is if I'm paying shipping I'll fill the box to make it worth it. Not everyone has deals or governmental subsidies to offset shipping costs. So to me I don't worry about it but fully respect those that do.

All the best.

Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

RED SEA
Back