Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. That’s pretty quick to burn through a 1200 roll.

What length do you have the auto advance set to? I changed mine to the lowest possible setting (0.2-0.4 inches) and it definitely cut back on the usage. I’m ok with a little bit dirtier roll in exchange for increased longevity.

Agree 100% that it’s worth it.
When I was fighting the dirty phases of dinos, I tried several settings from shortest (0.2-0.4) to longest (for me) *(2.0 - 2.2). What I found was it did not matter what setting it was on, my daily useage was roughly the same - the only difference I noted was how often the wheel advanced. I currently use 3.0-3.2 as the days of heavy roll useage are gone and this setting 'lasts' about 2-3 hours before advancing. My daily average as of right now is 33.0" and am getting ~18-21 days out of a roll. This roll is likely to be longest running it was installed on 11.28.22 and is @82.4' used.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I get the advantages of a filter roll, and have been looking into getting one, but how does the spent roll smell when sitting in your sump rotting?

I mean some people think a skimmer cup stink, and they have carbon tops, etc for them. So how does the spent roll smell?

This is the only thing that concerns me with them.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

JDCagley

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I get the advantages of a filter roll, and have been looking into getting one, but how does the spent roll smell when sitting in your sump rotting?

I mean some people think a skimmer cup stink, and they have carbon tops, etc for them. So how does the spent roll smell?

There are days I open my sump and wonder what died - but I have to open the door. Is it the roll? Skimmer? Both? IDK, but I never smell it in the room space - only under tank.

Lbrdsoxfan

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Not as bad as you think. My skimmate locker is wafting more. Once the fleece dries, it ain't bad.

LPS Bum

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I can only speak to my experience (ReefMat 1200), but I have never noticed a smell from my used filter roll. To be fair I've never actually sniffed it, but I don't smell anything nasty and it's pretty dirty.

BRS

scottbapilot

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My DIY roller mat has been running for years without issue. There are only 2 moving parts, one of which is a float valve. It is equivalent in failure points to my DIY ATO. A filter roller can be completely silent if you get your down pipes submerged at the right depth (which is easy to do). For me, the filter roller moved my (filtration) maintenance to a monthly cadence which was my intended goal.

Edit: if you do go with a filter roller, strongly consider buying coolant paper as opposed to the media the manufacturer sells. precon sells custom sizes here in the US
Thank you for the coolant paper ideal, I will try it.

Top Shelf Aquatics

jim881

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like my reef mat 1200. I will say this - don't beleive the numbers they give on expected roll life. I currently average 30" per day - which is my best (lowest value ever). My tank is only 10 months old, and I went through some new-tank/dry-rock growing pains (dinos etc.) and I was burning through a roll every 4-7 days (@ now $31.99/roll). It was exhausting getting through the 'dirty' phases. I am now seeing roughly 20 days per roll. Is it worth it - I would say yes.
Quick question for you ...how big is your tank ? I have one 1200 reef mat *redsea set for a new 350 gallon build ....but, i can adjust the sump box to accomodate two if needed.....thoughts ? One or two is the big question :) thanks

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Questionfor everyone with the Reef mat. Are you seeing much detritus accumulating in the sump? I've been using the Klir DI-4. The way it's designed with water entering from the top I've noticed that water can push the fleece to the side away from the frame and go around it. I was wondering if the Reef mat did the same.

Enderg60

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two reefmat 500's on my QT systems and I love them. When cleaning or during a bacterial bloom the rolls can go pretty fast but once things settle down I get anywhere from 5-12 weeks per roll. Usually around 8 weeks. The tanks are bare bottom which does apparently use the rolls faster since there is nowhere in the tank for detritus to collect.

There is zero smell from the "used" fleece.

I only get detritus in the sump if there are large bubbles that blow water out of the roller. I added a bubble trap to the inlet and I no longer have that issue. Sump stays nice and clean.

I did have one issue where the fleece folded a little and allowed water to get by. I didnt notice for a few weeks until I realized I was only using like 1-2" a day. Once fixed it was fine again.

I also now use aftermarket fleece rolls from Precision Converting. About 30% cheaper and the rolls are longer.

If you have a large tank I do not recommend these though. They simply do not have enough flow rate. The 500 is quite literally good for no more than 500 GPH. If youre return flow is more than 1000 GPH I would look at a larger roller.

I like my rollers so much I ended up getting a MRC infiniti with a 24" roll for my new 800g system.

Yes filter floss changed every few days is just as good but I much prefer 5 minutes once every 8 weeks over 2 minutes every 2 days and having to store a large pillow of floss.

Socks are simply too much of a PINA to even consider anymore.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar
AI Hydra

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
AAF
Back