Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been running filter rollers for years now. The earlier models had issues and people 'shun' technology. I've had a 1st gen Klir which was trash, and I currently have 3 different bubble magus filter rollers in service currently. Using coolant filter paper to save a few bucks on rolls versus the bubble magus brand stuff. I'm more than happy with them and will never go back to socks. With the filter rollers, I can easily go 14+ days between touching my systems for anything. My rolls typically last 8-10 weeks on average.

AquaCave Logo Banner

vpierce3

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Gen 2 Bubble Magus. It works flawlessly and is dead silent. I get about 5 weeks out of a role. My suggestion is to buy an oversized model so that the role lasts longer. You’ll only spend a couple bucks more per role but it will be more cost effective.
Also wait for filter roles to go on sale and buy in bulk. I recently did this and got my roles for $18 each.
Filter socks suck and I hope I never see one again.
Also if your nutrients are high, try to keep your sump/fuge clean. Blow your rocks down. Be careful with biopellets….once they start to work, they can tank your nutrients and then comes the dinos (that happened to me 7 yrs ago).

hart24601

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been running a reefmat 1200 since they came out without any issues at all. I have been pleased and would get it again. I previously ran socks for over a decade, the same ones, so they are cost effective but I got tired of changing them.

on my IM150 attached to a downstairs 150g Rubbermaid sump I have been averaging 40” a day over the past couple months. So I get about 35 days from a roll. I feed very heavily with around 30 dartfish in the display and hundreds of crabs and snails.

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
nldemo

nldemo

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also if your nutrients are high, try to keep your sump/fuge clean. Blow your rocks down. Be careful with biopellets….once they start to work, they can tank your nutrients and then comes the dinos (that happened to me 7 yrs ago).
My nutrients tanking would be a godsend. I run a FOWLR and they currently test off the charts :/

Lbrdsoxfan

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any strategies for if you're going on vacation and the roll will run out while you're gone? or just let it be?
If it runs out, I don't worry about it. Just will swap the roll when I get back.

Nutramar Foods

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have considered using one of these, but to me I am thinking it's really something else to maintain. I run a Triton sump with no socks mud in the bottom of my fuge, I cut a bit of Cheto back now and then. I do not dose Triton though. I do run a Deltec skimmer and an Avast Marine Ozone reactor, one of the best purchases I have made. Would really like to know why run a roller mat?

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently run 3 Clarisea filters and love them. Had multiple issues with a Gen 1 but they sorted all of that out and even sent me parts for free more than once. I’d like to try the reef mat next but will need to wait until one of these breaks down. Never going back to socks!

srit1

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
coolant ? is that the brand?
No, its just what I've called it, not really sure why. https://preconfilter.com/products this is where I get mine from, but I email them and order a custom size. The most recent time I asked for this:
"10 rolls, 9" x 100 yds. 80 micron, 2" ID core, rayon/polyester roll"

One of the nice things about this route is the options you have with the micron sizing.

CLICK TO VIEW

haitian_reefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have considered using one of these, but to me I am thinking it's really something else to maintain. I run a Triton sump with no socks mud in the bottom of my fuge, I cut a bit of Cheto back now and then. I do not dose Triton though. I do run a Deltec skimmer and an Avast Marine Ozone reactor, one of the best purchases I have made. Would really like to know why run a roller mat?
I predict down the road you’ll make the switch and wish you did it sooner

hart24601

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If you are happy with your system and how it’s working with no mechanical filtration then there is no need to add one. For me I tried without anything as well but had particulates in the water and a lot of sump detritus I cleaned out every month or two. If that isn’t an issue for you, or reducing nutrients via mechanical export then no reason to buy. Like all equipment in the hobby they have their use but are not mandatory for all systems.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are happy with your system and how it’s working with no mechanical filtration then there is no need to add one. For me I tried without anything as well but had particulates in the water and a lot of sump detritus I cleaned out every month or two. If that isn’t an issue for you, or reducing nutrients via mechanical export then no reason to buy. Like all equipment in the hobby they have their use but are not mandatory for all systems.
At first I did have particles in the water, but I don't now water is Cristal clear, maybe due to the mud cheato and pods. Not really sure where it all goes but it is digested by the tank, it's 5 years or so old I have never touched the sump for cleaning just to cut back cheato.

LPS Bum

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the bio load. I set mine to 2.0-2.2" a week ago but wasn't happy with the consumption rate, so I've adjusted it back down to 1.0-1.2". This is for a 200-gallon system with 50 fish and 250+ inverts, mind you.

View attachment 2943442
That makes sense then. At 2 inches you're advancing a ton of roll each time it gets dirty. Even at an inch it'll go through the rolls pretty quickly.

But if that works for you, then that's great. I agree that you have a high bio load. My reef is 164 gallons but only has 13 fish in it, so I can afford to advance a lot less roll at a time.

CLICK TO VIEW

hart24601

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At first I did have particles in the water, but I don't now water is Cristal clear, maybe due to the mud cheato and pods. Not really sure where it all goes but it is digested by the tank, it's 5 years or so old I have never touched the sump for cleaning just to cut back cheato.
So in this situation I wouldn’t add a roller mat despite liking mine. Doesn’t seem you would gain anything. Every system varies so much.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
nldemo

nldemo

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a rollermat is just another option, but it sounds like you're covered already with mud and a fuge. A lot of sumps don't have space for both a fuge and a skimmer. So you have that going for you :)

I don't see any reason to add a mat unless you had stuff getting into your sump that you don't want, as previously mentioned.

AI Hydra

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Back