Pump and plumbing master level 60? Look here…

AI Nero 5
OP
OP
Impetus

Impetus

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know very little about plumbing...

I understand Im trying to combine a closed and an open system. In my head it was just a matter of distribution. 90% of the circulation this way and 10% that way.

If it cant be done then its 2 pumps for return and 2 for the closed loop and 1 in spare. Its a lot of pumps! :)

Im not too worried about power outage and there will be a diesel generator as UPS. But one never knows.

Top Shelf Aquatics

SpyC

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even with a genny I wouldn't use a return pump to pump water to returns well below water level. Things can fail. A break can trip. You'd need a massive sump to ensure the draining tank doesn't overflow the sump. You also need to think about this causing rock and corals to be outside of water for an unknown period of time. Your fish also lose swimming space and the less water in the system the less oxygen then can use if power does go out.

Go with a closed loop if you want one. Do not use a return pump to rig up a system that introduces more failure points and concerns.

OP
OP
Impetus

Impetus

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it can't be done then it can't be done. End of story.

But it's a lot of pumps in order to get full redundancy.
I wish Steve Jobs was here to say: make it work with fewer pumps or find another job.

I know there is a lot of religion involved with closed loop vs powerheads. Just like light and a lot of the other subjects in this world.
At the end of the day we all make choices. I like that operation cost are lower with closed loop, the pumps can be hidden and maintained more easily. I know I lose flexibility and the upfront cost is a lot higher.

Last edited:
Nutramar Foods

BeanAnimal

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But it's a lot of pumps in order to get full redundancy.
See definition of redundancy ;)

FWIW you don’t need redundant closed loops. The ONLY reason to have 2 or more loops is for varied flow pattern options.
At the end of the day we all make choices. I like that operation cost are lower with DC pumps, the pumps can be hidden and maintained more easily. I know I lose flexibility and the upfront cost is a lot higher.
Pumps cost far more to operate per gallon of water moved than in-tank water movement devices.

OP
OP
Impetus

Impetus

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See definition of redundancy ;)

FWIW you don’t need redundant closed loops. The ONLY reason to have 2 or more loops is for varied flow pattern options.

Pumps cost far more to operate per gallon of water moved than in-tank water movement devices.

If I'm on vacation and one pump shuts down it's nice to know there is still flow in the aquarium. I wouldn't go with just 1 flow pump.

A pump submerged under water doesn't have as long life expectancy and the powerheads are more expensive than a Jecod DCP-20000.
With a closed loop 2 places I can make the water split 8 ways in total. 8 powerheads are expensive.

BeanAnimal

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I'm on vacation and one pump shuts down it's nice to know there is still flow in the aquarium. I wouldn't go with just 1 flow pump.

A pump submerged under water doesn't have as long life expectancy and the powerheads are more expensive than a Jecod DCP-20000.
With a closed loop 2 places I can make the water split 8 ways in total. 8 powerheads are expensive.
The return pump(s) generate flow that is far more important to life support than then closed loops. Again, you don’t Need two closed loops unless you are trying to create complex flow patterns by controlling the two loops individually on different patterns.

Actually submerged pumps run cooler and have a longer life expectancy compared to the same pump run externally.

You would split a loop based on pump size. There is no fixed rule for the number of suction and discharge ports.

There are several kinds of in-tank flow devices. Stream pumps and gyre pumps are far more efficient and can create more flow than loop pumps.

OP
OP
Impetus

Impetus

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The return pump(s) generate flow that is far more important to life support than then closed loops. Again, you don’t Need two closed loops unless you are trying to create complex flow patterns by controlling the two loops individually on different patterns.

It was my plan to randomize the flow and make each pump control half the aquarium. Then I could also disconnect one side at a time. But I might take your advice and just have 1 pump for the CL.
Actually submerged pumps run cooler and have a longer life expectancy compared to the same pump run externally.

This I didn't know....
You would split a loop based on pump size. There is no fixed rule for the number of suction and discharge ports.

Yes - 4 just seems like the right number for me a pump with 20.000 litres/hour. But you're right - it can be split the number of times you want to if you have enough garden hose and want to be creative :)
There are several kinds of in-tank flow devices. Stream pumps and gyre pumps are far more efficient and can create more flow than loop pumps.

Yes - but they are not as easy to hide and cleaning must be done more frequently.
Placement in the middle of the aquarium also seems like a huge advantage to me. A powerhead or gyra has to be placed on the glass and create flow from there.
At some point its not about flowrate but also placement.
It's not uncommon to see 5 internal pumps for an aquarium this size. Then it becomes a matter of watt used if you do a financial calculation.

But placement and ease are key components for me.

Last edited:
AI Nero 5

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Tropic Marin USA
Back