Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My question is, does anyone use proportional thermostats? If so, which heater will accept variable voltage?
I have a Herpstat 4 and a Herpstat intro+ that can lower or raise power output voltage to a heating element to hold a very consistent temperature; problem is I don't know if any aquarium heaters will operate off of this type of power. Any ideas?

CLICK TO VIEW

Pistondog

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could use time proportioning with the correct controller.
I use this to minimize the swings inherent with most thermostat type controllers.

Inkbird Heating or Cooling PID Temperature Controller IPB-16S Pre-Wired Digital Home Brewing Controller Independent Control Pump Thermostat https://a.co/d/1Ivfg5d

It also comes with a pt100 sensor, more accurate than thermistors.

Top Shelf Aquatics

BeanAnimal

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My question is, does anyone use proportional thermostats? If so, which heater will accept variable voltage?
I have a Herpstat 4 and a Herpstat intro+ that can lower or raise power output voltage to a heating element to hold a very consistent temperature; problem is I don't know if any aquarium heaters will operate off of this type of power. Any ideas?
Any resistive heater will accept a variable voltage as long as it does not have onboard digital control.

I don't see the need for the complexity though.

Is it PID logic? If not, on something like an aquarium I assume there may be a good bit of overshoot or hunting and the temp may not be as stable as a simply hysteresis based controller or simple PID controller.

OP
OP
BruceLeyrer

BruceLeyrer

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
With the Herpstat, it tracks the temp swings and has a 100 step variable power output. It eventually dials the heat in to the perfect % of power needed to hold temp. It's pretty nifty. Problem is, I can't find any information on a heater out there that will allow itself to be partially powered.

BeanAnimal

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the Herpstat, it tracks the temp swings and has a 100 step variable power output. It eventually dials the heat in to the perfect % of power needed to hold temp. It's pretty nifty. Problem is, I can't find any information on a heater out there that will allow itself to be partially powered.
As I said, aquarium heater without a thermostat or one with a mechanical dial thermostat will,work. They are just resistive heating elements.

I understand what the herpstat does, but it may not behave as expected in the environment you wish to use it in, unless it has PID logic.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
BruceLeyrer

BruceLeyrer

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'll email the manufacturer and see if they have any information for me. I have a eheim Jager that might work for what I want. That dial is mechanical. I'll have to test this out and see how it functions.

AI Nero 5

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Cultivated Reef
Back