Possible HLLE - Yellow Belly Blue Hippo Tang

alex37310

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sooooo first time doing a QT

I’ve been following @Jay Hemdal Quarantine Protocole and just finished the 30 days of copper and dose PraziPro yesterday.

Setup: 20g Long , pvc pipes, 1 pink cave decor, 480gph flow pump, heater, hob filter with cycled sponge, seachem badge, 1 airstone, just added an extra airstone bar with a big air pump for prazipro. Nori clip.

Fish: got a juvenile 1” yellow belly blue hippo tang form saltwaterfish.com
He’s been pretty shy, not seeing him actively eat like my clowns who throws themselves for feeding. He spends his whole time between the heater and the glass kinda like a new clownfish would host an overflow. He’s obviously eating cause he’s still alive but when I dump food he never goes for it, with or without pumps on…

Diet: I try to keep it balanced, micro pellets , nori at all time, frozen mix/frozen plankton, frozen spirulina mysis, green marine flakes, algae wafers. I’ve trying to add garlic to all this to help out with appetite

Not sure what I should do, I’ve been reading a lot and suspect HLLE but can’t find a concrete answer on cause and how to help… I need some guidance from the #fishmedics

I want#fishmedicsything I can to avoid permanent damage to my poor little guy…

I’m on first round of prazipro and was planning on 3 rounds every 7days and doing 10 days of copper before moving to DT

Please help

IMG_6417.png IMG_6414.png IMG_6421.png IMG_6422.png IMG_6456.png IMG_6457.png IMG_6458.png

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0

I’ve been following @Jay Hemdal Quarantine Protocole and just finished the 30 days of copper and dose PraziPro yesterday.

Setup: 20g Long , pvc pipes, 1 pink cave decor, 480gph flow pump, heater, hob filter with cycled sponge, seachem badge, 1 airstone, just added an extra airstone bar with a big air pump for prazipro. Nori clip.

He’s been pretty shy, not seeing him actively eat like my clowns who throws themselves for feeding. He spends his whole time between the heater and the glass kinda like a new clownfish would host an overflow. He’s obviously eating cause he’s still alive but when I dump food he never goes for it, with or without pumps on…

Diet: I try to keep it balanced, micro pellets , nori at all time, frozen mix/frozen plankton, frozen spirulina mysis, green marine flakes, algae wafers. I’ve trying to add garlic to all this to help out with appetite

Not sure what I should do, I’ve been reading a lot and suspect HLLE but can’t find a concrete answer on cause and how to help… I need some guidance from the #fishmedics

I’m on first round of prazipro and was planning on 3 rounds every 7days and doing 10 days of copper before moving to DT

Please help

IMG_6417.png IMG_6414.png IMG_6421.png IMG_6422.png IMG_6456.png IMG_6457.png IMG_6458.png
Pictures of fish out of water are near impossible to assess. As for others, while there are mild signs, the upper dorsal has some tissue loss and all may be associated with diet and vitamin deficiency. Fish is a little skinny and needs meats and fats as its not very big on algae and nori. Some recommended foods along with good water quality are:
LRS Herbivore diet, TDO pellets, Formula 2 frozen, and spirulina brine shrimp

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Please help

The white points on the dorsal fin are Lymphocystis, a viral disease that will go away on its own after a month or so (but it may get worse before it gets better).

Tiny hepatus tangs can be very difficult to keep alive. You can try feeding it live baby brine shrimp, or really small TDO larval fish pellets.

OP
OP
alex37310

alex37310

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pictures of fish out of water are near impossible to assess. As for others, while there are mild signs, the upper dorsal has some tissue loss and all may be associated with diet and vitamin deficiency. Fish is a little skinny and needs meats and fats as its not very big on algae and nori. Some recommended foods along with good water quality are:
LRS Herbivore diet, TDO pellets, Formula 2 frozen, and spirulina brine shrimp
Thank you so much @vetteguy53081 !!
What do you look at for water quality? I have 0 ammonia, temp around 79-81 (should I lower?), gravity 1.025, slowing rising from beginning of qt at 1.024 (shipping gravity). Will test nitrates when I get home. Am I missing anything?
I read about selcon but my lfs said it’s discontinued, anything I should be supplementing with? Thanks! I’ll try to find the food you listed, I already have hikari frozen spirulina brine. Should I keep soaking in garlic and if so how often. I’ve been trying to feed twice a day, morning and night to try to get this little guy in shape..

OP
OP
alex37310

alex37310

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The white points on the dorsal fin are Lymphocystis, a viral disease that will go away on its own after a month or so (but it may get worse before it gets better).

Tiny hepatus tangs can be very difficult to keep alive. You can try feeding it live baby brine shrimp, or really small TDO larval fish pellets.
Thanks for your time @Jay Hemdal !! It’s always a pleasure to read your thread and I’m always grateful for your assistance as well as @vetteguy53081 !! You guys are helping so much of us, just wanted to give you a quick shout out! #fis#fishmedics Jay, are you saying the white at the tip of the dorsal is not erosion but instead Lymphocystis ?

Is there anything should be doing, watching for to manage it, prevent it or help it?

Thanks!

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Thank you so much @vetteguy53081 !!
What do you look at for water quality? I have 0 ammonia, temp around 79-81 (should I lower?), gravity 1.025, slowing rising from beginning of qt at 1.024 (shipping gravity). Will test nitrates when I get home. Am I missing anything?
I read about selcon but my lfs said it’s discontinued, anything I should be supplementing with? Thanks! I’ll try to find the food you listed, I already have hikari frozen spirulina brine. Should I keep soaking in garlic and if so how often. I’ve been trying to feed twice a day, morning and night to try to get this little guy in shape..
Selcon should yet be available (BRS and saltwater.com) or else Boyds Vitachem also good. Add garlic only occasionally as its an immunity booster

OP
OP
alex37310

alex37310

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Selcon should yet be available (BRS and saltwater.com) or else Boyds Vitachem also good. Add garlic only occasionally as its an immunity booster
Thanks! Would it cause harm to overfeed garlic? Just trying to understand.

Also I just tested my water, and since it’s it has a cycled sponge in I haven’t been too worried about it, my seachem badge still shows safe (yellow) so I didn’t worry about nitrite but upon checking it seems to be pretty high (above 2ppm - strong purple on api) and nitrates are 0. I recently did a 75% water change with rodi saltwater and dose prazipro. Could the prazipro cause that? I will do a 30% water change tonight as prazi was dosed on 9/29 so it will probably be gone by then, and I will do an other one before dose #2.

Could high nitrite affect appetite and or the dorsal? I’m still confused after what @Jay Hemdal said on wether or not it’s erosion or Lymphocystis..

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Thanks! Would it cause harm to overfeed garlic? Just trying to understand.

Also I just tested my water, and since it’s it has a cycled sponge in I haven’t been too worried about it, my seachem badge still shows safe (yellow) so I didn’t worry about nitrite but upon checking it seems to be pretty high (above 2ppm - strong purple on api) and nitrates are 0. I recently did a 75% water change with rodi saltwater and dose prazipro. Could the prazipro cause that? I will do a 30% water change tonight as prazi was dosed on 9/29 so it will probably be gone by then, and I will do an other one before dose #2.

Could high nitrite affect appetite and or the dorsal? I’m still confused after what @Jay Hemdal said on wether or not it’s erosion or Lymphocystis..
Lympho yes and light HLLE. Garlic can change taste of food and some fish shy away from the taste of it, at times spitting the food out

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your time @Jay Hemdal !! It’s always a pleasure to read your thread and I’m always grateful for your assistance as well as @vetteguy53081 !! You guys are helping so much of us, just wanted to give you a quick shout out! #fis#fishmedics Jay, are you saying the white at the tip of the dorsal is not erosion but instead Lymphocystis ?

Is there anything should be doing, watching for to manage it, prevent it or help it?

Thanks!
Lymphocystis virus particles enter a fish through skin damage. The dorsal spines were damaged (possibly by a net) then the virus got inside the fish and began changing the skin cells to make them grow larger and gray/white in color.

OP
OP
alex37310

alex37310

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lymphocystis virus particles enter a fish through skin damage. The dorsal spines were damaged (possibly by a net) then the virus got inside the fish and began changing the skin cells to make them grow larger and gray/white in color.
Thank you for the details. I'm starting to understand now.

And so there is nothing for me to do at the moment that could help?

Start PraziPro round #2 on the 6th.

After measuring my nitrites on API test, a couple days ago, results was 5+ ppm.

I have done 3x 50% water change the past 48 hours and my nitrites are still around 5ppm...

I have read about nitrite poisoning but I've also read your threads over the past few years stating that nitrite is non toxic in SW despit being highly toxic in FW.

I just want to make sure that wouldnt harm the fish. Does high nitrite can cause any harm at all or even weakness in saltwater environment or has this been completely proven now?

Thank you @Jay Hemdal and @vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0

I have done 3x 50% water change the past 48 hours and my nitrites are still around 5ppm...

I have read about nitrite poisoning but I've also read your threads over the past few years stating that nitrite is non toxic in SW despit being highly toxic in FW.

I just want to make sure that wouldnt harm the fish. Does high nitrite can cause any harm at all or even weakness in saltwater environment or has this been completely proven now?

If you get an opportunity, confirm your readings by taking a water sample to an LFS that does not use API kits and see what results they come up with

OP
OP
alex37310

alex37310

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you get an opportunity, confirm your readings by taking a water sample to an LFS that does not use API kits and see what results they come up with
Might have to be tomorrow then, I’m working late tonight. But I did take a test of my saltwater rodi before to compare and it was 0 (clear blue) And I took it from the fish tank before and after WC and had the same dark purple result

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Nitrite is essentially non-toxic to marine fish, but in order to have high nitrites, that means you likely had high ammonia at some point, and of course that is very toxic to marine fish.

Nitrite toxicity to invertebrates is not well studied, so I don’t know if there are nitrite issues with those.

OP
OP
alex37310

alex37310

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrite is essentially non-toxic to marine fish, but in order to have high nitrites, that means you likely had high ammonia at some point, and of course that is very toxic to marine fish.

Nitrite toxicity to invertebrates is not well studied, so I don’t know if there are nitrite issues with those.
Thanks Jay! No water change on the first 30d of copper, my seachem badge didn’t detect any ammonia the whole time. I will check ammonia manually as well but I’m surprised! I finally got a reading a bit lighter, now tested for 1.5ppm. Better than the 5+ after 2 water change..

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back