Maybe not the right place….hlle of yellow tang since adding ozone?

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As usual I’m confused. I have searched and found old messages from Randy stating the he stopped using ozone as he noticed hlle on specifically yellow tangs (back in 2015 or so). I also see posts from Jay that hlle due to ozone is mainly anecdotal and he doesn’t give it much weight ( not trying to put words in eithers mouths here). There’s a slew of comments either way throughout, so it’s easy to get confused. I started ozone about six months ago or so. Just today someone commented on my yellow tang having a white face and stripe. I asked them to look closely to see if there was noticeable decay or pitting to which they replied yes. I’m guessing hlle. Other tangs are perfectly normal and only the yellow is affected (I’ve had the tangs for over five years and they’ve always been healthy). I have also been dosing ammonium chloride and recently started vinegar. However, I found nothing correlating either to hlle. My best guess would be ozone. I have switched ozone off for the time being. From what I’ve been reading I guess I should get some selcon. I’m curious if there has been any definitive correlation between ozone and hlle in yellow tangs? Thoughts? I’m sure I’ll get answers going both ways (absolutely yes and absolutely no) but am curious regardless. I know it will get asked so 78 +/-1 degrees, 35ppt, 10ppm nitrate, 0.1ppm phosphate, alk is around 8.3-8.6, calcium is 380-420, magnesium is between 1250-1380, orp varies from 250-300 with ozone running for ten minutes per hour (number 2 on ozotech), roughly 160 gallons accounting for rock.

PharmrJohn

The Dude Abides
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a number of tangs develop hlle and fin rot after starting ozone along with heavy GAC to treat the ozone. The include two yellow tangs a gem tang and a Desjardini.
Oh. Perhaps I ought to rethink Ozone.......

reef_ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
in combo with GAC, I would. I subsequently used it injected in a skimmer with no additional hlle or fin rot. All of the tangs are still alive, fat and happy.

OP
OP
A_Blind_Reefer

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have run rox carbon in a reactor in the past. Just for a day or two to clear things up and never had any issues. I haven’t run in in awhile, maybe eight months ago, shortly before switching to ozone. Tomini tang is perfect, just the yellow tang is affected.

OP
OP
A_Blind_Reefer

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a number of tangs develop hlle and fin rot after starting ozone along with heavy GAC to treat the ozone. The include two yellow tangs a gem tang and a Desjardini.
Now that you mention it, they also mentioned that it looked like someone might be chewing his tail fin. I didn’t even think about fin rot until your comment. Weird as I am not running gac with ozone but there seems to be a trend with the two together.

OP
OP
A_Blind_Reefer

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully it clears up. I know it can take a bit of time and I can’t tell anything without borrowing someone else’s eyes and none that I can borrow are reefers. They tried to get a pic but he kept hiding in the rocks. I ordered some selcon, more hikari seaweed extreme, and nori. I’ve never been successful getting the tangs to eat nori though. They gobble up seaweed extreme, pe pellets, and any algae in the tank. I’ll also see if I can get someone to pick up some rods, or lrs for me if I can find a place that has it.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back