Plumbing Suggestions

boyer.michael.s

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone. I was looking for some suggestions on plumbing for this fiberglass trough; specifically the drains. I have attached 2 photos for reference. I'm basically looking to see how others would plumb the internal side for these drain lines. These are 1" bulk heads. What's the best option for a tank like this that doesn't have a true overflow box?

Suggestions much appreciated.

IMG_2842.jpg IMG_2843.jpg

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not getting the whole picture. Is this an overflow? How many gallons is tank? Frag tank? Is noise an issue?

OP
OP
B

boyer.michael.s

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not getting the whole picture. Is this an overflow? How many gallons is tank? Frag tank? Is noise an issue?
This is a Pentair fiberglass trough that is 8'x3'x12" so 180 gallons. It will be used as a frag tank. The noise doesn't need to be the number 1 concern but if there is an option to keep it somewhat quiet that would be great. This is not an overflow. I just showed both ends in pictures for reference, one being the return end with the 2 return lines that will then drain on opposite side with the 3 drains.

My issue I'm having is coming up with the best way to setup the drains on the inside of the frag tank since it doesn't have a typical overflow and the drain lines go out the side of the tank rather than the bottom .

The drain holes were drill lower than I expected in the sides so just putting street elbows and strainer caps on would keep my water level lower than expected. Plumbing is not my area of expertise so I would rather see if anyone had some suggestions that may have run into setting something up like this.

As it sits the only thing I would know to do is add a 90 and put in standpipes to the height I want the water level and call it a day. I just think there is probably a better option out there.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. You could put elbows angled up and set up the entire box as an overflow box. Here is an example of an external overflow box. You’d just need to do this type plumbing inside your box attached to 90 degree elbows
IMG_7255.jpeg

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
All you need really is a set of standpipes. Come out of the bulkheads with a 90 and plumb the pipe straight up. You want the top of the pipe to be at the "power off" level so it doesn't drain below that level. Keep in mind, if that's higher than the returns on the other end, you'll want to raise the LocLine bend above the "off" level and make sure the air intake for the RFGs are slightly above the "off" level as well or you'll need to use an anti-siphon on the return line.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Since it's not in an overflow, no siphon is needed on the drain side.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Also you'd want some sort of screen or something over it to keep the snails from crawling in.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back