Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, i'm on the way with this project, but, still have time to select custom drill outs of drain . The tank will be 96x30x28. The sump will likely be 72x20 or 24. The filtration will be a pair of RS Reefer Mat 1200. Return pump will likely by Abyzz A200 DC, or some x2 combo of 2 smaller pumps (maybe red dragons)
My major question:
1. SHould I plumb the tank (returns, drain , etc) based on the return pump inlet / outlet ? Or , Should 1 use one large or 2 medium for redundancy ? If I do x2 return pumps, should I create two drain holes ?

Originally my plan was to plumb the whole thing with 1 inch PVC (this is how i'm plumbing my RODI / mixing station) , but, now i'm thinking I should consider using the pump as the deciding factor ?!

I've never done a custom build and just want to make sure I don't look back and have too many "oh ****, I shoulda......"

Thanks for any input !

Last edited:
Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

StevePhx

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run one Abyzz on my system but I keep an extra smaller pump on hand for emergencies. I reduce my return pump down to 1” lines and use gate valves to control the flow to each return line.

I would plumb 1.5” drain lines so there is enough to keep up with the return pump. Are you using a commercial overflow or having on built into the tank?

John Bolden

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, i'm on the way with this project, but, still have time to select custom drill outs of drain . The tank will be 96x30x28. The sump will likely be 72x20 or 24. The filtration will be a pair of RS Reefer Mat 1200. Return pump will likely by Abyzz A200 DC, or some x2 combo of 2 smaller pumps (maybe red dragons)
My major question:
1. SHould I plumb the tank (returns, drain , etc) based on the return pump inlet / outlet ? Or , Should 1 use one large or 2 medium for redundancy ? If I do x2 return pumps, should I create two drain holes ?

Originally my plan was to plumb the whole thing with 1 inch PVC (this is how i'm plumbing my RODI / mixing station) , but, now i'm thinking I should consider using the pump as the deciding factor ?!

I've never done a custom build and just want to make sure I don't look back and have too many "oh ****, I shoulda......"

Thanks for any input !
1. Your question was I think about the drains have 2 one main and one emergency emergency is slightly higher than the main.

2. Your question about 2 drains because of 2 pumps: It wont matter because the water goes through the weir at one speed so if you have 2 super powerful pumps it will pump all the water out draining the sump and over flowing the tank.

You can do 1 pump 1 spare or 2 pumps but run them at low speeds or IMO just run one at a stronger speed and have one back up, But ALWAYS have 2 drains because its just a safety net and trust me it will get clogged at one point and you will be kicking your self if you don't add that extra drain.

1680055105929.png

OP
OP
J

jim881

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run one Abyzz on my system but I keep an extra smaller pump on hand for emergencies. I reduce my return pump down to 1” lines and use gate valves to control the flow to each return line.

I would plumb 1.5” drain lines so there is enough to keep up with the return pump. Are you using a commercial overflow or having on built into the tank?
I'm having the overflow built onto the tank...same builder for tank, overflow and sump ....so it can be made any way specified ....

OP
OP
J

jim881

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Your question was I think about the drains have 2 one main and one emergency emergency is slightly higher than the main.

2. Your question about 2 drains because of 2 pumps: It wont matter because the water goes through the weir at one speed so if you have 2 super powerful pumps it will pump all the water out draining the sump and over flowing the tank.

You can do 1 pump 1 spare or 2 pumps but run them at low speeds or IMO just run one at a stronger speed and have one back up, But ALWAYS have 2 drains because its just a safety net and trust me it will get clogged at one point and you will be kicking your self if you don't add that extra drain.

View attachment 3086049
Helpful thanks ! Why do you opt for just one running return pump ? When you say have a backup, do you mean, plumbed in and on a valve, or just have a backup on hand for an outtage that could be swapped into place ?

OP
OP
J

jim881

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having the overflow built onto the tank...same builder for tank, overflow and sump ....so it can be made any way specified ....
Also, is the reduction to a one inch line going to compromise the flow / output of the A200 ? Some say you should not reduce is avoidable...thoughts?

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
www.Riptideaquaculture.com
Back