Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would argue the opposite. Feeding off of the main drain is going to provide maximum nutrient (before the skimmer and anything else in the sump) gets a chance to work things over and allow your Fuge to have the most nutrients possible for conversion.

Yes I would agree the fuge would be a bit messier, but it is also likely to be more effective.

In a dream world, I would want to go DT > Mesh Filter Sock for large particulate > Fuge > Skimmer > any reactors...etc. > return.

2 copper.

AquaCave Logo Banner

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Negative, it essentially should be IMO. There are obviously about a dozen different ways to get to the same endpoint, none of which are wrong. IMO though if you want to use a fuge as your primary means of nutrient removal, your dirtiest water comes right from the DT so like I said outside of maybe some mechanical filtration through a mesh sock, fuge is the ideal first stop.

FWIW it's also the same mindset the entire triton method is based on, but that is a COMPLETELY different discussion.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
Rob77

Rob77

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Negative, it essentially should be IMO. There are obviously about a dozen different ways to get to the same endpoint, none of which are wrong. IMO though if you want to use a fuge as your primary means of nutrient removal, your dirtiest water comes right from the DT so like I said outside of maybe some mechanical filtration through a mesh sock, fuge is the ideal first stop.

FWIW it's also the same mindset the entire triton method is based on, but that is a COMPLETELY different discussion.
I have looked into that alot but Im just not ready to pull that trigger yet anyway but maybe later on ........... well cool thanks for your thoughts my friend .........happy reefing !

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah man, and please make note, I was note suggesting that running your fuge like this means you should run Triton or any thing like that. All I was saying was this setup is the basis of Triton. Either way in my mind it seems to make the most sense IF you're using your fuge as your main export method.

OP
OP
Rob77

Rob77

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah man, and please make note, I was note suggesting that running your fuge like this means you should run Triton or any thing like that. All I was saying was this setup is the basis of Triton. Either way in my mind it seems to make the most sense IF you're using your fuge as your main export method.
ya I really feel the same way about that no doubt ...to me it just makes sense hahahaha but what do I know IVE learned I think I know more than I actually know in this hobby!!!

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

WestOhooligan

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I work for Manhattan Aquariums, my boss introduced Triton to the US. I am an installer, and I understand what you're trying to do. All of our Triton based systems dump directly into the refugiums of the sumps. As mentioned detritus will be a huge problem as will introducing mad air bubbles into the system if you dump directly from your display. We ball valve all of our drain lines to minimize the air flow going into the drain lines. We also run 2 drains per system in case the primary gets clogged. We also run micron socks on all of the drains to catch detritus. A clean up crew won't be able to remove the detritus. You need a mechanical means of doing it.

OP
OP
Rob77

Rob77

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I work for Manhattan Aquariums, my boss introduced Triton to the US. I am an installer, and I understand what you're trying to do. All of our Triton based systems dump directly into the refugiums of the sumps. As mentioned detritus will be a huge problem as will introducing mad air bubbles into the system if you dump directly from your display. We ball valve all of our drain lines to minimize the air flow going into the drain lines. We also run 2 drains per system in case the primary gets clogged. We also run micron socks on all of the drains to catch detritus. A clean up crew won't be able to remove the detritus. You need a mechanical means of doing it.
so a gate valve for tuning for sure .......that was my thoughts

WestOhooligan

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so a gate valve for tuning for sure .......that was my thoughts

Oops! I meant gate valve. Good catch, but yes, it's the best way to really fine tune the bubble issue. I would use a true union gate if possible, they are big and a pain, but totally worth it from a maintenance perspective.

Nutramar Foods
AI Nero 5

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back