+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it. And thanks for the info.
I think I'm getting some better control of the GHA than I was earlier. Had trouble keeping up with just trying to pull tufts of it during water changes. I decreased my feeding and started scrubbing the rock with a toothbrush which seemed to remove most of it. Now just have some small clumps. Will keep that up for awhile. Try to keep my parameters down (currently as of 10/30 nitrate 7.3 and phos 0.21) with water changes and less feeding. Let's see. Thanks for the input. All this advice is great food for thought and will use some as I go along.
Here's my photos/videos of the baby bottle nipple method (henceforth "BBN method"). I'd like to give credit where due, but I don't remember where on R2R I read about this. Here goes.

Start with a BBN with a narrower profile, then cut as needed--I cut the flat edges off to make it easier to target.
PXL_20221104_071123417.jpg

Push it in a bit further, and then you can lower it into the tank, keeping the air in the BBN so saltwater doesn't go inside. Place on top of a clump of GHA. You should be able to see the GHA drop down into a dark mat, since it is no longer floating in water.
PXL_20221104_071148041.jpg

Then I start to drip the H2O2 onto the GHA and let it sit there for a bit. Slowly move the BBN over a bit to get some more GHA exposed and drip a few more times. Continue like this.

video:

As you move along, you should start to see bubbles coming out of the GHA.

video:

Just keep repositioning, trying to avoid saltwater flowing into the BBN. Once you empty out the pipette, leave it be and wait to see if the GHA starts going pale the next day. If you see that the GHA is no longer bubbling after you've dropped H2O2 on it, you likely have too much saltwater in the BBN and you need to come out of the water to refill the BBN with air and start dropping again.

last video:

Hope that helps! Those areas I just showed you are turning pale today and hopefully white by tomorrow/receding.

OP
OP
C

Charlie G

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my photos/videos of the baby bottle nipple method (henceforth "BBN method"). I'd like to give credit where due, but I don't remember where on R2R I read about this. Here goes.

Start with a BBN with a narrower profile, then cut as needed--I cut the flat edges off to make it easier to target.
View attachment 2887757

Push it in a bit further, and then you can lower it into the tank, keeping the air in the BBN so saltwater doesn't go inside. Place on top of a clump of GHA. You should be able to see the GHA drop down into a dark mat, since it is no longer floating in water.
View attachment 2887759

Then I start to drip the H2O2 onto the GHA and let it sit there for a bit. Slowly move the BBN over a bit to get some more GHA exposed and drip a few more times. Continue like this.

video:

As you move along, you should start to see bubbles coming out of the GHA.

video:

Just keep repositioning, trying to avoid saltwater flowing into the BBN. Once you empty out the pipette, leave it be and wait to see if the GHA starts going pale the next day. If you see that the GHA is no longer bubbling after you've dropped H2O2 on it, you likely have too much saltwater in the BBN and you need to come out of the water to refill the BBN with air and start dropping again.

last video:

Hope that helps! Those areas I just showed you are turning pale today and hopefully white by tomorrow/receding.

Thanks for the pics and video. That makes sense now. Cool idea. I may try it. I'm assuming that the peroxide dilutes quickly and doesn't affect water parameters. Should be safe near coral? It seems like a great texhiniguento target specific areas.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Pirates Reef Corals
Back