Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice. I have not heard much about live phyto. Is there any downside to nutrient parameters or livestock?
Not that I have heard of, I have never had any bad experiences with it aside from the fact that some times it has a really strong odor.

Top Shelf Aquatics

JoJosReef

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have an active conch. Will it clean the sand Ed as well if any detritus? Does it help keep nutrients down?
What kind do you suggest? I have a 32g Biocube. Is there a size requirement for the tank? My other concern is do they push around rock? Any downside with them?
I consider them an integral part of the CUC. I have 2 in my 13.5g, but by accident since I thought the first one was dead. They come in different sizes, so make sure to get one of the smaller ones, e.g. bear conch or strawberry/tiger conch. Reefcleaners links below. I understand the fighting conches will get bigger.

The small ones don't push around rocks, but they can upend frags on plugs if you put them in the sand bed. They keep the sand clean. Can also be supplemental fed nori or flake. I have one that will extend its trunk and munch on nori that I hold in front of it. Mine also eat algae tabs, which I occasionally give as a treat.

Here is one of mine hard at work:

OP
OP
C

Charlie G

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I consider them an integral part of the CUC. I have 2 in my 13.5g, but by accident since I thought the first one was dead. They come in different sizes, so make sure to get one of the smaller ones, e.g. bear conch or strawberry/tiger conch. Reefcleaners links below. I understand the fighting conches will get bigger.

The small ones don't push around rocks, but they can upend frags on plugs if you put them in the sand bed. They keep the sand clean. Can also be supplemental fed nori or flake. I have one that will extend its trunk and munch on nori that I hold in front of it. Mine also eat algae tabs, which I occasionally give as a treat.

Here is one of mine hard at work:
View attachment 2886848

Thank you.

Will look into the live phyto.

As for the conch does it just clean the sand bed or GHA on rock?
Video didn't come through. If you don't mind please send again.

JoJosReef

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you.

Will look into the live phyto.

As for the conch does it just clean the sand bed or GHA on rock?
Video didn't come through. If you don't mind please send again.
Here's a google photos link:

It mostly cleans the sand bed and only cleans the rocks as high as it can prop itself and reach with it's trunk, just like in the video. I'm still working on a solution for the GHA on the upper rocks, but the lower rocks are super clean. Bought a pencil urchin, but it isn't interested in GHA. Grows too fast for the trochus/astraea snails. Looking into a turbo and/or tuxedo urchin.

But that conch works wonders on my zoas and mushrooms when the GHA gets on them. I just take them off the rocks and leave them on the sand bed for a couple of days.

I've also used hydrogen peroxide on zoas, and it works, but they are unhappy for a few days. I've never had one melt, though. Just dab it with a saturated Q-tip until it bubbles a lot, best if the zoas are already closed up.

For GHA on your rocks, in absence of an effective CUC, I'll copy to you what I just wrote to someone else:
I've been using a feeding pipette and a baby bottle nipple cut with an opening at the tip just large enough to push the pipette through and using this in the tank to dispense hydrogen peroxide onto the GHA in patches. If you keep the air in the nipple, press it on top of the GHA and then slowly drip the peroxide onto the GHA, you basically get a full blast of peroxide on the GHA that you can let sit for a few minutes. Afterwards, the patch goes white in a day and completely clears in a few days. Do this every day or two and you'll slowly clear off all the rocks--I don't do more than one or two patches a day so as not to put too much h2o2 in the tank.

Hope that helps!

JoJosReef

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Thank you. The tank is about 10 months old. A have a couple of Astrosnails. A trochus and Nerite. They don't seem to do much as far as the gha. I did earlier on have Mexican turbos (before my GHA bloom) and they seems pretty effective for overall cleaning. They eventually died. I hesitated putting them in again because I am concerned they can push around some rock that is not secured. Not sure if that would be an issue. I also avoided urchins for similar reasons. Btw this is a 32g Biocube.
Off-topic, but since your tank looks young with dry rocks, you could consider adding a real ocean rock or two and maybe some miracle mud or gulf sand to speed up the maturation process. Nothing beats the added biodiversity.

OP
OP
C

Charlie G

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a google photos link:

It mostly cleans the sand bed and only cleans the rocks as high as it can prop itself and reach with it's trunk, just like in the video. I'm still working on a solution for the GHA on the upper rocks, but the lower rocks are super clean. Bought a pencil urchin, but it isn't interested in GHA. Grows too fast for the trochus/astraea snails. Looking into a turbo and/or tuxedo urchin.

But that conch works wonders on my zoas and mushrooms when the GHA gets on them. I just take them off the rocks and leave them on the sand bed for a couple of days.

I've also used hydrogen peroxide on zoas, and it works, but they are unhappy for a few days. I've never had one melt, though. Just dab it with a saturated Q-tip until it bubbles a lot, best if the zoas are already closed up.

For GHA on your rocks, in absence of an effective CUC, I'll copy to you what I just wrote to someone else:
I've been using a feeding pipette and a baby bottle nipple cut with an opening at the tip just large enough to push the pipette through and using this in the tank to dispense hydrogen peroxide onto the GHA in patches. If you keep the air in the nipple, press it on top of the GHA and then slowly drip the peroxide onto the GHA, you basically get a full blast of peroxide on the GHA that you can let sit for a few minutes. Afterwards, the patch goes white in a day and completely clears in a few days. Do this every day or two and you'll slowly clear off all the rocks--I don't do more than one or two patches a day so as not to put too much h2o2 in the tank.

Hope that helps!

Thanks for the video. That may be helpful to my lower rock and a zoa thatbi have on a rock in the sandbed.

For the upper rock I have been scrubbing with a toothbrush when doing water changes. The larger GHA comes off easily. The smaller ones/newer more adherent.

I think turbo snails may do a good job but worried about them pushing some of my rock as it isn't all glued together and my royal gramma uses the caves for shelter. I wouldn't want an accident. That's what I think happened to my firefish goby early on. Then at some point either the turbo snails died of starvation or my hermits killed them (which is what I think happened-I hate those guys).

Having a hard time visualizing what you mean about keeping the air in the baby nipple. If you have the time would appreciate a pic or video demonstration.

I'm assuming small amounts of h2o2 of for the aquarium?

Corals.com
OP
OP
C

Charlie G

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Off-topic, but since your tank looks young with dry rocks, you could consider adding a real ocean rock or two and maybe some miracle mud or gulf sand to speed up the maturation process. Nothing beats the added biodiversity.
No worries about being off topic. I appreciate the conversation and suggestions. I do have corraline algae on some of the rocks (not shown in the pic) and on my back wall and glass, etc). How do you now when mature enough?

Also not sure if I have room for more rock. I could probably put some small rock I have in the back into my chambers (back of tank).

For the miracle mud? Just add some to my sandbed?

I am all for biodiversity and fascinated by this ecological environment in saltwater aquariums.

OP
OP
C

Charlie G

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the video. That may be helpful to my lower rock and a zoa thatbi have on a rock in the sandbed.

For the upper rock I have been scrubbing with a toothbrush when doing water changes. The larger GHA comes off easily. The smaller ones/newer more adherent.

I think turbo snails may do a good job but worried about them pushing some of my rock as it isn't all glued together and my royal gramma uses the caves for shelter. I wouldn't want an accident. That's what I think happened to my firefish goby early on. Then at some point either the turbo snails died of starvation or my hermits killed them (which is what I think happened-I hate those guys).

Having a hard time visualizing what you mean about keeping the air in the baby nipple. If you have the time would appreciate a pic or video demonstration.

I'm assuming small amounts of h2o2 ok for the aquarium?

OP
OP
C

Charlie G

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries about being off topic. I appreciate the conversation and suggestions. I do have corraline algae on some of the rocks (not shown in the pic) and on my back wall and glass, etc). How do you now when mature enough?

Also not sure if I have room for more rock. I could probably put some small rock I have in the back into my chambers (back of tank).

I am all for biodiversity and fascinated by this ecological environment in saltwater aquariums.

Attachments

• 4D31170E-D9B9-42E6-B30B-59CDA2C3906F.jpeg
    4D31170E-D9B9-42E6-B30B-59CDA2C3906F.jpeg
    308.7 KB · Views: 19
AS

JoJosReef

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm assuming small amounts of h2o2 of for the aquarium?
I'll do a video tonight. I need to anyway! Reason the GHA is still around is laziness!

JoJosReef

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes, I'd add it to the sandbed and mix a bit during a water change. I have two nano tanks: 1) 100% gulf rock and 100% gulf sand; 2) Dry rock and "live" sand at start with gulf rocks and gulf sand added later.

The latter had horrible GHA problems (still does). Adding the gulf sand seemed to help get the GHA off the sand bed, which was growing in clumps. I think it also helped stave off dinos, which I had twice. Adding the gulf rock also seemed to help clear up the GHA on the other rocks somehow--I simultaneously added more snails, though. But, had a period of neglect and even the gulf rocks couldn't hold off the GHA when I wasn't paying attention. So combined approach plus a steady vigilance must be the ticket!

kevgib67

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used hydrogen peroxide 1/3 with tank water, worked great with my zoa plug without any ill affect to my zoa. I have a royal blue tuxedo urchin in my 32g Biocube, it’s an algae eating machine. Never knocks any thing over. Draw backs, eats coralline algae and any frag plug not glued down it wears it like a hat and takes it for a ride around the tank. Pluses greatly outweigh the negatives.
A6BDA0BA-AE6C-4B35-9C97-FF783F0E27F2.jpeg

OP
OP
C

Charlie G

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I'd add it to the sandbed and mix a bit during a water change. I have two nano tanks: 1) 100% gulf rock and 100% gulf sand; 2) Dry rock and "live" sand at start with gulf rocks and gulf sand added later.

The latter had horrible GHA problems (still does). Adding the gulf sand seemed to help get the GHA off the sand bed, which was growing in clumps. I think it also helped stave off dinos, which I had twice. Adding the gulf rock also seemed to help clear up the GHA on the other rocks somehow--I simultaneously added more snails, though. But, had a period of neglect and even the gulf rocks couldn't hold off the GHA when I wasn't paying attention. So combined approach plus a steady vigilance must be the ticket!
Got it. And thanks for the info.
I think I'm getting some better control of the GHA than I was earlier. Had trouble keeping up with just trying to pull tufts of it during water changes. I decreased my feeding and started scrubbing the rock with a toothbrush which seemed to remove most of it. Now just have some small clumps. Will keep that up for awhile. Try to keep my parameters down (currently as of 10/30 nitrate 7.3 and phos 0.21) with water changes and less feeding. Let's see. Thanks for the input. All this advice is great food for thought and will use some as I go along.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Hello. I have a red people eater zoa frag on a rack that I purchased in July. Was doing well until about 1 week ago. I noticed one of the polyps not opening well. In fact the tentacles and oral disc started drooping downward instead of upward like the other polyp. I took a closer look the other night and did notice a buble algae on it which I removed. Because it was out of the tank it was hard to discern anything else on it. I thought that would help it. It's still turned downward (I will post pics of what it looked like before and now). Tonight when I came home and my white lights were on I noticed that the polyp is surrounded by GHA. Could that affect the zoa in that way?

I am concerned that I may damage the polyp if I try to pick it off with tweezers. Any recommendation regarding the best way to deal with this? Pick it off with tweezers or maybe peroxide? If peroxide can anyone recommend a safe technique. Thanks.

View attachment 2886012 View attachment 2886014
Emerald crab or a few tiny carribean blue leg hermits will clean this up or with a pipette squirt the roots with 3% peroxide from store

OP
OP
C

Charlie G

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used hydrogen peroxide 1/3 with tank water, worked great with my zoa plug without any ill affect to my zoa. I have a royal blue tuxedo urchin in my 32g Biocube, it’s an algae eating machine. Never knocks any thing over. Draw backs, eats coralline algae and any frag plug not glued down it wears it like a hat and takes it for a ride around the tank. Pluses greatly outweigh the negatives.View attachment 2886945
Yeah. That's what I've heard. Very effective. I plan on gluing all my frags at some
Point. Just trying to figure out where they will finally be placed. Then may pull the trigger and consider. Yours looks really nice. That or maybe the conch. Or both. The urchin could get the higher rocks. Again concerned about pushing some
Of the rock. May not be an issue though.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

kevgib67

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. That's what I've heard. Very effective. I plan on gluing all my frags at some
Point. Just trying to figure out where they will finally be placed. Then may pull the trigger and consider. Yours looks really nice. That or maybe the conch. Or both. The urchin could get the higher rocks. Again concerned about pushing some
Of the rock. May not be an issue though.
I have both and a crystal clear sand bed
0AC78F09-29FD-444A-81D2-F9FC69EDACA4.jpeg

OP
OP
C

Charlie G

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
C

Charlie G

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Off topic from my original discussion but would a tuxedo urchin get to the corals on the rack I have suspended by magnets?
FYI-I did a 50/50 peroxide dip for 2 minutes and scrubbed the plug with a toothbrush. I know it may take a few days to see if it worked but these are the pics as of now.

Attachments

• 6A80A61A-2651-481A-8961-148E95780384.jpeg
    6A80A61A-2651-481A-8961-148E95780384.jpeg
    151.8 KB · Views: 6
  • B8D948F9-7148-4D28-8CCD-549C5C2C2C9C.jpeg
    B8D948F9-7148-4D28-8CCD-549C5C2C2C9C.jpeg
    198.4 KB · Views: 15

kevgib67

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Off topic from my original discussion but would a tuxedo urchin get to the corals on the rack I have suspended by magnets?
If there is algae on it possibly, mine has never been on my frag rack. Because I keep my glass clean the urchin never goes on my glass just the back wall (I don’t clean) and rocks.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
AVAST
Back