Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been wanting to build a seahorse tank since I setup my most recent 50 gallon column tank. In fact, that tank was originally supposed to be a seahorse DT but I ended up making it our main reef DT instead. I'm starting this thread in hopes it will motivate me to move forward with this project and do it properly. I'd also like to bounce ideas off of the reefing community since I am still in that research phase.

As it stands, I don't think the saltwater tanks we have setup are quite ready for seahorses:

55 gallon column
- Stock:
clownfish pair, Lawnmower blenny, diamond goby, firefish, cleaner shrimp, pistol shrimp, 3x peppermint shrimp, Halloween hermit, scarlet leg hermit, blue leg hermit, other light CUC
- Coral: Birdsnest, Hammer, Candy cane, Firework Clove Polyp, gorgonian, GSP, various Zoa's (all corals are frag size)
- Filter: Tidal 75 HOB
- Light: Kessil A360x w/ deflector
- Flow: 2x Tunze (not sure of flow rate but will add once I check)

20230430_180855.jpg

40 Breeder "F*** around and find out" tank
- Stock:
Arrow Crab. That's it. And some bristle worms if you want to count them.
- Coral: I have thrown a couple frags in from main DT. Gorgonian included.
- Light: random T5 we found (~150W I think)
- Flow: 1x Fluval Sea CP3

20230519_171942~2.jpg

Both tanks are low flow at the moment. At least low flow in regards to coral. However, I think maybe a bit too much for seaborses. Since the column is already setup as a reef tank, I think I would need to adjust quite a bit to get this one ready for seahorses. I'd at least need to add good hitching posts and I don't think there's room for good ones.

The 40 breeder, however, could easily be adapted. I am not running filtration at the moment but can do so easily. I'd also want to add some rooted macroalgae to the sandbed and maybe some other kinds of macro as well to give a lot of good hitching posts.

Do you guys have any thoughts on converting these tanks? I'm also considering getting another 30 to 50 gallon tank and using that. But might setup one of these tanks as a sort of "wait here until actual seahorse tank is ready" tank but that's only if I can provide them with ideal living conditions for them to grow and prosper in the meantime.

Last edited:
AquaCave Logo Banner

Devaji

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice man!
my SH take us take forever.
Hopefully tomorrow I can get the cycle going…

anyway do under estimate the amount of flow they can handle.
the key is to have spots of low med and heigh flow in the tank.
they will use the flow to blast off the algae in their bodies.

I went with a 36x 26x22 tank for my set up.
altho I was thinking if file 40 br

AC1211

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will you keep some of the fish like the firefish for example?
Having one or two small passive fish might be good with the seahorses...
Let me know what you do as I am about to rebuild my 60g damsel tank and although I have some ideas I am curious as to what route you will take with your tank.

Avast
OP
OP
M

magicSmoke

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will you keep some of the fish like the firefish for example?
Having one or two small passive fish might be good with the seahorses...
Let me know what you do as I am about to rebuild my 60g damsel tank and although I have some ideas I am curious as to what route you will take with your tank.
I think I would keep all the fish if I went with the route of using that tank. Everyone is peaceful except for the clownfish. Even then, they only get aggressive towards fish or inverts that get too close to their pot. That could become an issue though since the seahorses may float into that area and not have the best defense.

AquaCave

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back