planned power outage, 8hrs

BryanM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Main house panel getting replaced, no power for 6-8hrs.

i do have a small battery that will power the two powerheads in the tank, no idea how long that lasts (CoralVue v3 battery backup for two icecap 2k gyres).

Worried about this and my tank, inhabbitants, etc.

How long can you safely go with just the powerheads in the tank running minimally?

DaJMasta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Circulation is the most important, but temperature could be a concern if the ambient temp will be far off of the tank's normal target. Light should be no problem. If you've got circulation, temperature is reasonable, and there isn't any significant body of water gone stagnant (sump, plumbing, etc.), you should be alright.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Main house panel getting replaced, no power for 6-8hrs.

How long can you safely go with just the powerheads in the tank running minimally?
As long as it's not cold, you should ok 6-8 hours with a couple powerheads.
I would run 1 pointed at the surface of the water until it runs out of battery.
If it is cold, maybe wrap the tank in some blankets.
During night time power outages in my area, ( before I had a night time generator) I would turn of my generator from midnight until 5 am. I've had to do this 3 different times and never lost anything in my 240 and a 50.

Zerodameaon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on your location you should be good on temp.

Is this happening tomorrow? You may be able to get a USB chargeable air pump delivered by morning which will help break the surface and promote gas exchange.

Alternatively you can see if a neighbor has one of those little tailgating generators that you can borrow for the day, they are pretty quiet.

OP
OP
BryanM

BryanM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is happening next Tuesday, so I have a little time to acquire something. In a month it's a non issue as the panel installation is to support solar and a battery backup for about 1/2 the house, including the tank.

EricR

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a couple of battery powered Penn Plax air pumps with air stones in this scenario.
Also, one wavemaker on DC battery backup.

No lights, no heat.
I agree with wrap the tank in blankets if it's cold.
Summer with no home AC is bigger problem for me so then float Ziploc bags of ice as necessary.

*6-8 hours shouldn't be a huge problem,,, under reasonable temperatures

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back