Status
Not open for further replies.

stewy14

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read that too. I have been feeding reef roids, mysis shrimp, added a bunch of pods and have dosed phytoplankton. But more recently I've backed off on the feedings because I'm getting more algae which leaves me to believe there are quite a few nutrients in the tank.
dont feed reef roids, u dont need to feed your corals in that small of a tank, even I dont feed them, u only need to feed the (plz get it out of there) fish

OP
OP
jeffmr4

jeffmr4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I've backed off on those because I think they might contribute too much to nitrate and phosphate. I know the light is enough for the corals but if there is no algae its fun to feed once in a while. Marooned has been eating well and seems excited at food time. The fish stays. ; )

stewy14

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
u
Yeah, I've backed off on those because I think they might contribute too much to nitrate and phosphate. I know the light is enough for the corals but if there is no algae its fun to feed once in a while. Marooned has been eating well and seems excited at food time. The fish stays. ; )
really do not need to feed the corals at all
and no
the fish leaves bro
that is abuse

stewy14

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are some nice pictures on your website by the way.
thanks man! really appreciate that :D
u can use code 75R2R for 75% off any order!!!!
or FREE for free shipping!! and shipping is based on what I pay to ship, the shipping there is not the actual prices :D
I do believe that u can probably keep a baby maybe in it?
@ISpeakForTheSeas am I correct, if u do know?
and sell it when it grows
then restart the cycle

Last edited:
OP
OP
jeffmr4

jeffmr4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An asterina hitchhiker I saw last week re-appeared this week. Photo on the site (check original post for link).

OP
OP
jeffmr4

jeffmr4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I discovered that the sexy shrimp were eating the anemone so I took them to the fish store. Also, the anemone began to disintegrate so I removed it from the tank. Sad, but it means I don't have to worry about the anemone stinging other corals nor the shrimp eating other corals. I did a water change today but removed the anemone later in the day. Hopefully there aren't remnants enough that anything will harm the other tank inhabitants.

stewy14

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I discovered that the sexy shrimp were eating the anemone so I took them to the fish store. Also, the anemone began to disintegrate so I removed it from the tank. Sad, but it means I don't have to worry about the anemone stinging other corals nor the shrimp eating other corals. I did a water change today but removed the anemone later in the day. Hopefully there aren't remnants enough that anything will harm the other tank inhabitants.
this is cuz it is such a small tank
plz remove the fish too plz
but thats sad :(
maybe try out a rfa in the other bigger tank

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't have an anemone in a tank that small, especially with your tank being so new. Anemones shouldn't be in any tank that is younger than six months.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As others have already said...

That clownfish is too large for that tank.

Live Aquaria and other reputable sites on fish care recommend a tank of at least 30 gallons: https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/8236/?pcatid=8236

@Jay Hemdal who is an expert on fish care recommends a calculation of (Length of tank + width of tank) / (maximum size of fish x 0.8). If resulting number is less than 8, it isn't recommended.

He has an article on Estimating the Need for Swimming Space for Aquarium Fishes here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/estimating-the-need-for-swimming-space-for-aquarium-fishes.816797/

Using Jay's ratio and assuming your pico tank is roughly 9" by 9" (it's probably a little smaller than that...maybe 8.8" x 8.8", but we'll round up just to give you a little more wiggle room) and using max size for the maroon at 6", the result for this equation is (9" + 9") / (6" x 0.8) = 18 / 4.8 = 3.75

Jay's minimum threshold is 8 or greater (he recommends 10 or greater), and your calculation comes out to 3.75.

This fish is too big for this tank, and it will not be ok to keep it there.

OP
OP
jeffmr4

jeffmr4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My purpose in sharing my experience with this tank with everyone was for their enjoyment and to learn. A lot of 'Pros' said you can't make a nano, pico, micro tank work. But they were wrong. Something is not possible until someone tries. This fish is 1/8th the size of this tank cubed. When it seems unhappy to me or I feel it is too big I will probably give it away. Nevertheless, this is my decision. There are other comments I could address but I'm not here for that. If you feel this thread is not helpful for people, you can delete it.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As others have already said...

That clownfish is too large for that tank.

Live Aquaria and other reputable sites on fish care recommend a tank of at least 30 gallons: https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/8236/?pcatid=8236

@Jay Hemdal who is an expert on fish care recommends a calculation of (Length of tank + width of tank) / (maximum size of fish x 0.8). If resulting number is less than 8, it isn't recommended.

He has an article on Estimating the Need for Swimming Space for Aquarium Fishes here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/estimating-the-need-for-swimming-space-for-aquarium-fishes.816797/

Using Jay's ratio and assuming your pico tank is roughly 9" by 9" (it's probably a little smaller than that...maybe 8.8" x 8.8", but we'll round up just to give you a little more wiggle room) and using max size for the maroon at 6", the result for this equation is (9" + 9") / (6" x 0.8) = 18 / 4.8 = 3.75

Jay's minimum threshold is 8 or greater (he recommends 10 or greater), and your calculation comes out to 3.75.

This fish is too big for this tank, and it will not be ok to keep it there.
Short term, the clown would be o.k., given its present size, I think it is right at the cut-off, but my first thought was I’d be afraid of it jumping out of a rimless tank. Not all clowns are “jumpers”, but some are (latezonatus for example) I can’t remember if maroons do or not.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello,

We're thankful you are a member here and we hope you are learning more and more about reefing. We also appreciate your willingness to share and document your journey. That being said, we can't in good conscience and in accordance with our TOS, allow this thread to continue. This thread will be locked. If you decide to re-home the fish and want to have this thread opened, please contact a moderator.

Thank you and I hope you understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back