Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been dealing with high phosphate recently, I've been running a rowaphos reactor to try and bring the levels down but I just tested my fresh saltwater for phosphate and it says that the water has .08 phosphate in it. Where would this come from? My ro water is testing 0 tds and I am using tropic Marin pro reef salt. Test was done with the redsea pro phosphate kit. I'm left at a dead end, any advice?

Nutramar Foods

UCF Alum

Stick addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
99% of phosphate in your tank comes from the foods you feed your fish.

edit- Nevermind. You said it was in your freshly mixed salt water. Have your local fish store check it. I’m betting on test kit error. Check the Tropic Marin site to see if you can check the batch number for the ICP test. I highly doubt it’s your salt though. Are you storing it in a mixing container? It’s possible that it could be leaching phosphates

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been dealing with high phosphate recently, I've been running a rowaphos reactor to try and bring the levels down but I just tested my fresh saltwater for phosphate and it says that the water has .08 phosphate in it. Where would this come from? My ro water is testing 0 tds and I am using tropic Marin pro reef salt. Test was done with the redsea pro phosphate kit. I'm left at a dead end, any advice?

Are you running a RO / DI unit?

Or buy a new tds meter

FWIW:
Liking the new Hanna phosphate ULR ppm checker

Top Shelf Aquatics

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
LxHowler

LxHowler

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you running a RO / DI unit?

Or buy a new tds meter

FWIW:
Liking the new Hanna phosphate ULR ppm checker

Yes I am running rodi, I have borrowed a friend's tds meter aswell to check mine is working properly, both read 0. I havent used the Hannah checker but the test kit was my next thing to check just wanted to check if anything else could be causing it first

OP
OP
LxHowler

LxHowler

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
99% of phosphate in your tank comes from the foods you feed your fish.

edit- Nevermind. You said it was in your freshly mixed salt water. Have your local fish store check it. I’m betting on test kit error. Check the Tropic Marin site to see if you can check the batch number for the ICP test. I highly doubt it’s your salt though. Are you storing it in a mixing container? It’s possible that it could be leaching phosphates
I will get my fish store to check it when they reopen. They have shut as the UK is in lockdown. I am not storing the water, it is getting mixed and going straight into a water change, I use the plastic Jerry cans that most people use to transport water to mix my salt. I am looking at getting a Hannah checker as I can still get one of those with the shop being shut. Thanks for the icp idea I will try to find that

Top Shelf Aquatics

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I am running rodi, I have borrowed a friend's tds meter aswell to check mine is working properly, both read 0. I havent used the Hannah checker but the test kit was my next thing to check just wanted to check if anything else could be causing it first

I'd buy the Salifert freshwater phosphate kit, to test your RO/DI water.

If it's at zero, then mix a fresh batch of TM Pro and re-test the new batch for phosphates with your marine kit, to rule out the salt mix.

@UCF Alum is on the right track.

OP
OP
LxHowler

LxHowler

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd buy the Salifert freshwater phosphate kit, to test your RO/DI water.

If it's at zero, then mix a fresh batch of TM Pro and re-test the new batch for phosphates with your marine kit, to rule out the salt mix.

@UCF Alum is on the right track.
Never thought of using a freshwater test kit. I already have one from my turtles I will test and see what that says. Tanks for the idea

Uncle99

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphate in city water is quite common, it’s used to mitigate corrosion in delivery pipes.
While I understand your concern of the 0.08ppm in your water, this is not a bad reading, actually it’s not a bad trace amount that corals need to survive.

When you say your dealing with high phosphate in your tank, what is the reading from the DT.

Just want to ensure what we are actually going to fix and that it needs fixing.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
LxHowler

LxHowler

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphate in city water is quite common, it’s used to mitigate corrosion in delivery pipes.
While I understand your concern of the 0.08ppm in your water, this is not a bad reading, actually it’s not a bad trace amount that corals need to survive.

When you say your dealing with high phosphate in your tank, what is the reading?
Before I started running the reactor it hit .68 but I know what caused this, I had a auto feeder break and dump all of the food into the tank, it just kept spinning all day whilst nobody was home. I got most of it out but it still elevated my phosphate and nitrate. They are starting to come under control again now after a few weeks of constant maintenance. but I tested my water to see if that was affecting how fast they are coming down as in doing 2 water changes a week at the minute. It is now down to .12 which is why I checked the water to see if that was slowing it down.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
AAF
Back