Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry for the relatively newbie question but....what's your vote on phosban for a primarily zoa tank - yes/no? i am sure it will help cut down on my algae, but does it also soak up the good stuff in my water, for example the reef plus I dose? what about carbon? i've read conflicting information about this.

AS
Top Shelf Aquatics

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
before you dive into phosphate media, do you do regular water changes? use ro/di water? have good skimming abilities? what about your bioload and feeding habits?

i only see phosphate absorbing material as a last resort if none of the above work, or if you are running a mostly sps system

JGoslee

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
before you dive into phosphate media, do you do regular water changes? use ro/di water? have good skimming abilities? what about your bioload and feeding habits?

i only see phosphate absorbing material as a last resort if none of the above work, or if you are running a mostly sps system

Well said.

OP
OP
spartanfish

spartanfish

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah i should put up a tank profile soon to show people my stats, but i have a remora skimmer and a fuge already - but i feed my fish daily and do smallish, infrequent water changes. I'm going to definitly start feeding less and am trying to work out a better water change schedule. I just see everyone's impeccable tanks on here and all your zoas look so healthy, and i was wondering if running media could give my tank that extra polish on top of improving the basic habits. my zoas are alive, but they don't grow (except my PD) and don't neccesarily seem that happy. anyway i'll try to get some pics when I get home tonight. thanks for your comments everyone, i love this site :)

Corals.com

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alot of times it's not Phsphated that is the probelm when not doing enough water changes but nitrates that have been building up......You can have an algea problem and have no phosphates at all.....

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
spartanfish

spartanfish

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i really appreciate all of your insights! I'll try to get in a water change soon... i just wish i had a more efficient way then trying to haul and mix 10 gallons with only 2 buckets, lol. it especially sucks hauling 10 gallons to the store to refill every week...i really need to get an RO unit. i'm also thinking about trying some of that catalina water if i can find some, to eliminate the mixing step. what is your normal water change schedule? and the consensus seems to be no on the filter products, so i'll leave those alone for now... thanks :)

fishes2889

Aquaculturist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do water changes every week on saturdays after work. Since i work in a LFS its easy for me. I do 5gallons out of my 33g, which is a little above 15% of the total water volume. 0 Nitrates every single time i have tested my tank.......

Steve :D

surfn

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so you dont have an ro/di? did you by any chance use tap water in your tank? even once?

also, how old is this tank? reason i ask, is b/c every time i have moved my tank, or set up a new one, even with established water....i ALWAYS get some sort of algae bloom that lasts for several months. i call it the new tank "funk".

i've tried phosphate media in a canister filter during a new tank "funk", and it never helped one bit. which leads me to beleive there is a chemical with a binded phosphate (i.e. not detectable by a test kit, which only tests for free phosphates) either in the silicone, or on a thin film on the glass, eggcrate, and/or PVC or other plastics.

also, what type of lighting do you have, and what size tank?

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
spartanfish

spartanfish

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have never once ever used tap water... i did do some research before starting up :) yup thats right, i haul 12 1-gallon jugs to the store every week to get RO refills for top off :rolleyes: this is largely why i don't to wc more frequently, it's just a pain in the butt to get all that water. i'm going to try to talk myself into putting up the money for an RO unit sometime soon. it's been set up for a year and a half continuously, 37 gallons, 150 watts MH lighting (bulbs about 6 months old). most prevalent algaes are the cyano and some other green slime stuff. they are a lot less now than they used to be but still... there is a little and worst of all i just feel like my zoas aren't happy, because they don't open wide and don't grow anymore. stay tuned for my tank thread later this evening for pics... although both my tank and my photo skills are embarrassing after seeing all your tanks :)

oo ps about the zoas... i did a FW dip on one of my frags and did not notice anything come out of them, and i have not added new frags in several months, so i don't have any reason to suspect critters.

Last edited:

surfn

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
interesting...

well, first off. if you need to find a RO/DI unit on a budget, try looking on ebay. thats where i got mine almost 3 years ago, and its still kicking. i got a 5 stage, 110gph plus resevior tank for about $125.

as far as the slime algae, i havent had much experience with that. but i've heard its an indication of low flow areas.

the next thing i'd try to find is the right type of clean up crew to eat it. every species of snail/slug/crab like to eat something different. can't remember what likes slime algae, it may be ceriths.

AS
OP
OP
spartanfish

spartanfish

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah it is refills from the water machines they have at the grocery... looks like my next item to save up for will be an RO/DI, if i can get one on ebay or elsewhere for under $150 that would be sweet. I definitly need to stop hauling jugs, its no wonder i almost never do water changes doing that, lol...

ps. i am looking at the 6 stage RO/DI on ebay, looks like a pretty good unit... in my ignorance though i am wondering.. how can you tell how full the holding tank is?

Last edited:

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
RED SEA
Back