Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I’m still relatively new to the hobby, even after 3 years. I have a 20G AIO tank and I’m considering an addition to the tank, but unsure of what I can actually add, or even if I should.

My current tank population includes:
1 black ocellaris clown
2 astrea snail
2 spiny trochus (was 3 but one recently died)
2 bumblebee
2 nassarius
1 cowrie
2 scarlet hermit crabs
1 purple claw hermit crab
And a freeloader bristleworm hitchhiker

Can anyone give me an idea of what the clown and each invert adds to my Bioload and what amount I have available if any? Prior to the death of my spiny trochus my corals were growing well and everyone seemed happy. Since that death, I’ve had a reddish cyano growth on my sand bed. Corals, fish and CUC still seem happy.

Phosphates/nitrates are both excellent.
Nitrates at zero, phosphate kept near zero (last test was 0.12ppm) using phosban.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
Whiteydenewf

Whiteydenewf

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how much rock is in your tank? The rock supports the bioload, more rock means more space for nitrifying bacteria to grow which means stronger biofilter.
Quite a bit actually. 2 small flat plates front and back on the sand bed. 2 much larger rocks on each side of the tank.

Nutramar Foods

LordofCinder

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t worry. 2 out of 3 ain’t bad. Honestly snails die sometimes for unknown reason, it’s not uncommon. Fish death I would worry but one out of three new snails I wouldn’t worry.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Hi all, I’m still relatively new to the hobby, even after 3 years. I have a 20G AIO tank and I’m considering an addition to the tank, but unsure of what I can actually add, or even if I should.

My current tank population includes:
1 black ocellaris clown
2 astrea snail
2 spiny trochus (was 3 but one recently died)
2 bumblebee
2 nassarius
1 cowrie
2 scarlet hermit crabs
1 purple claw hermit crab
And a freeloader bristleworm hitchhiker

Can anyone give me an idea of what the clown and each invert adds to my Bioload and what amount I have available if any? Prior to the death of my spiny trochus my corals were growing well and everyone seemed happy. Since that death, I’ve had a reddish cyano growth on my sand bed. Corals, fish and CUC still seem happy.

Phosphates/nitrates are both excellent.
Nitrates at zero, phosphate kept near zero (last test was 0.12ppm) using phosban.
Youre looking at fish compatible with the clown. Bangaii cardinal would be one

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My thought process being that outside of what we might consider crowded, as long as ammonia and nitrites are being resolved to zero or within safe levels in a quick enough fashion then the filter can handle more bio-load. This can be easily tested by increasing the feed since that's what contributes to the bio-load and not necessarily the occupants. Although more occupants means more of the input processed towards growth but I'm not crunching numbers and just take a holistic approach. Plus increasing the feed will increase the filter's capacity to process the new load before new occupants added. Why when cycling I dose beyond recommendations once cycled to condition the filter to handle more early on. Has worked for me and have never had a spike in ammonia or nitrites.

World Wide Corals
OP
OP
Whiteydenewf

Whiteydenewf

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My thought process being that outside of what we might consider crowded, as long as ammonia and nitrites are being resolved to zero or within safe levels in a quick enough fashion then the filter can handle more bio-load. This can be easily tested by increasing the feed since that's what contributes to the bio-load and not necessarily the occupants. Although more occupants means more of the input processed towards growth but I'm not crunching numbers and just take a holistic approach. Plus increasing the feed will increase the filter's capacity to process the new load before new occupants added. Why when cycling I dose beyond recommendations once cycled to condition the filter to handle more early on. Has worked for me and have never had a spike in ammonia or nitrites.
That’s helpful thanks.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Ultimate Corals
Back