Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As my dad used to say. "only the dead need sleep" No I'm not kidding. His insomnia was severe. I guess it's genetic. Mine's not as bad. Thank God. I'd die on an hour or 2 of sleep.

Dad actually had to drink tell he passed out. That was the only way it happened.

Nutramar Foods

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Fishy888

Fishy888

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kathy and I won’t be doing anything special this weekend except to relax. We may end up taking the dogs to the dog park. I may end up doing a little tank maintenance.

Nutramar Foods

tbrown3589

It's just me
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Oh yeah, I forgot... I'm cleaning my old skimmer to send to a friend that's upgrading tanks today as well. I might check the store for a Filefish or CBB (leaning more towards the Filefish) on my way home from horses too. I'm starting to see aiptasia.

tbrown3589

It's just me
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Work on the tank!
tank deal with it GIF

OP
OP
Fishy888

Fishy888

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At this late hour I’m making some RO/DI water to top off the system. Even though I’m not getting 0 TDS exactly it’s much better than the 113ish the tap is putting out tonight.

Next Tuesday or so I’ll be ordering my RO membrane. About a week from Tuesday I should have it. I’m also buying new mixed bed resin and new seals since one of them is leaky.

Next month I’ll tackle the carbon block and sediment filter. I probably won’t need the carbon block replaced immediately but the sediment filter will likely need it within the next couple of months or sooner.

There’s a high likelihood of us entering a drought soon. For all I know they might add more chemicals to our drinking water as reservoir levels drop. Even if they don’t add more chemicals I imagine I’ll be burning through sediment filters more quickly if we end up in a deep, protracted drought here, due to the decreasing water levels at the ol’ reservoir. I wouldn’t be surprised if I burned through a carbon block or two if that happens.

I’m planning on expanding my RO/DI though I’ll have to do so a little at a time. I want to create a dual DI, dual carbon block, dual RO membrane system (to go from 75 GPD to 150 GPD), and dual sediment filters.

I have other things I’ll need to do though with my reefing budget though, like to buy corals, a clam or two, a sea urchin, more peppermint shrimp, and many other neat but low bioload creatures.

Speaking of many neat creatures, remember the sponge I asked about last week give or take? Here’s what it looked like then.

1C31ABF7-BDD3-4F41-B9E9-412C2D891743.jpeg

These two images are from last night.

E6A44527-2891-4FFF-949A-513BC7364D14.jpeg

C004CF10-4F57-413C-880D-C133BF08A7DD.jpeg

I’m going to do a little more maintenance today or tomorrow. I need to get the glass cleaned again both in the DT and in the sump.

I’m going to make more RO/DI today. I want to have plenty on hand because the molly fry will be coming home either today or tomorrow. I’m going to grow them out in a 10 gallon tank. I don’t want to take any chances. Eventually I’ll have to start a 20 gallon bin once they grow larger. The fry were born in saltwater so that’ll help. I’ll keep three or four in the DT once the algae gets eaten and I’ll keep the rest in the 10 gallon, assuming they all survive.

I’m getting seven molly fry altogether. They’ll have plenty of live rock and bacteria of all kinds to eat. I’ll also pulverize a pellet or two to feed them. It should take about two months, possibly two and a half until they’re ready for the DT.

I know mollies aren’t exactly reef fish but they’ll be all over the GHA and cyano. They’ll also produce live food for the reef. Most other CUC members don’t do all that.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Fishy888

Fishy888

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday I got the molly fry and they’re doing quite well. There are eight of them. I have them in a 10 gallon tank. I’ll take pictures of them this afternoon.

Otherwise there isn’t anything major to report. All the animals are doing great. Slowly but surely the hermits are making headway. In a couple of months the mollies will eat whatever algae is left by then.

OP
OP
Fishy888

Fishy888

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered the new RO membrane, DI resin, a replacement seal for the DI canister which has a small leak, and a ball valve so I can keep moisture in the system when I have to disconnect it from the kitchen sink.

The new rock is being colonized slowly but surely. Pods and bristle worms started moving onto and into the new rock but I found a brittle star in one of the largest of the new rocks. I got to see it crawling onto it a few days ago but it was actually in the rock tonight. I snapped a picture just seconds before the lights went out.

E0197AC5-C81E-4DFC-A4D7-98C48E6DE9BE.jpeg

I may have lost a couple of my saltwater born mollies. I’ll move the rocks to see if they’re just hiding or if I really lost them. I definitely still have at least six. The six are eating and swimming well. They’re taking pulverized pellets with gusto. There are also pods in there for them to eat.

Edit:
I only have five left. The heater malfunctioned and the tank was cold to the touch. We keep our house around 68. I wouldn’t think 68 would be cold enough to kill them but who knows? Thankfully I still have five. I know that two of the ones I lost had the white, stringy “poop” thing going on when I got them. I was hoping they’d eat up and recover.

Last edited:
AquaCave

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Pacific East
Back