Peacock mantis shrimp will not punch

stefangrut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone. First time posting a question on reef2reef.
I have a peacock mantis shrimp I purchased from my local fish store approximately 10 weeks ago. At the time, I was searching for a peacock mantis shrimp that still had it's clubs. Well I found one and decided to buy him. The employees told me he was rather dicile compared to previous peacocks they've had in the past.
Now here's where I get confused. He behaves completely normal. Eats from tongs from time to time. But he will not strike anything in the tank. I've provided him with porcelain crabs, emerald crabs, hermits, and even a variety of shrimp. Other livestock in the tank consist of a four-line damsels, randals goby, pair of clowns, and lawnmower blenny.
I dedicated this tank to keep a peacock mantis shrimp in. I watch all the necessary parameters for him to grow a strong exoskeleton and molt with ease. But I'm concerned that he won't punch. Has anyone ever heard of such a thing?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peacenik Mantis Shrimp?

Peace Godzilla GIF

Upvote 0

Stomatopods17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Send a pic of the setup and the mantis.

If the dactyls are damaged or seem really small they may not be suitable for hunting and require a molt or two.

I don't think it's pre-molt if its eating off tongs, but keep an eye after feeding for the leftover food cause sometimes they'll grab your offering, and a few seconds later throw it out without eating.

Upvote 0

VintageReefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
How large is the mantis? Maybe he’s a baby and your food is too large ? Could be a dumb suggestion but I can’t see what you see and want to rule it out

Upvote 0

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back