Parameter?...More like Paramenace: How often do you check your parameters?

How often do you check your parameters? (Tell us why in the comments!)

• Daily.

Votes: 11 9.2%
  • Weekly.

Votes: 56 47.1%
  • Monthly.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I only check parameters when things start going awry.

Votes: 15 12.6%
  • I don't check parameters...ever. My tank is a self-sustaining masterpiece.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • Other (please explain!).

Votes: 10 8.4%

• Total voters

AlyciaMarie

Where's my anemone?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stability in our home reefs is one of the most important ingredients in keeping a happy, healthy aquarium. Some of you may love checking your parameters, and that's awesome for you, but do not love checking my parameters! In fact, my obsession with "perfect" parameters got me in lots of trouble not too long ago, but that's a story for another time. :winking-face:

How often do you check your parameters? And why?

206E278F-4FCC-4A01-9735-F8CE57A13176.jpeg

Photo Credit: bfazio1030

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me, it depends on what type of coral are kept and their size in comparison to tank volume. I have two sps tanks that are tested multiple times a day, as they are full of colonies and frags that use up a lot of calcium and alkalinity. My lps and softy tanks get tested once a week as they don’t swing water parameters as much. I never test my fowlr tank for anything, I just do water changes.

felda001

Getting old sucks. Beats the alternative though
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a monthly calendar reminder but if something seems off I’ll test more often

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
1-2x weekly(either sunday/wednesday, or wednesday/saturday)

also ICP test every 3-6 months either for follow up, or to test for any pollutants if tank isn't doing well. i run the reef moonshiner method, so ICP's were more frequent when the tank was newer.

bobnicaragua

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an acropora tank and have been on the Moonshiners method about 3 years. I check alk 2 or 3 times a month and do monthly ICPs.

Prior to that, I did water changes and tested alk every week or 2 two and occasionally tested phosphates and nitrates.

I ran softy tanks for maybe 20 years and never tested anything (just kept up with water changes).

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apart from Alkalinity which is auto tested 4 times a day, others (PO4, NO3, K, and Ca) are tested monthly.

I never check Magnesium .

Dburr1014

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm hit or miss on checking stuff.
I tried to check alkalinity at least once every couple weeks but sometimes I go a couple months. The same goes with nutrients unless I'm trying to deal with one particular goal in mind, like lowering phosphates, I'll check more often than normal just to make sure I'm trending in the right direction.

WalkerLovesTheOcean

I love acans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I test quite often in the beginning stages of a tank, but after the 6 month mark I start to only test when something is off. This works for me and my nano as I don't dose. In my new 120 I assume I'm going to be needing to test more often and on a schedule because I will likely need to dose.

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked “Other”.

On main system I have automated Alk test 6 times a day.

The rest is the same for both of my systems:
Alk, Ca, Mag, NO3, PO4 - Manual tests, once a week.

That being said, when I have any instability I start testing everyday, than as I gather the trends and start to stabilize I switch to once every 2 days, 3 days, and than back to once a week - but for this I only test the related group: either Alk/Ca/Mag or NO3/PO4.

JohnC86

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stability in our home reefs is one of the most important ingredients in keeping a happy, healthy aquarium. Some of you may love checking your parameters, and that's awesome for you, but do not love checking my parameters! In fact, my obsession with "perfect" parameters got me in lots of trouble not too long ago, but that's a story for another time. :winking-face:

Weekly

Dkcav59

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Having a 6 week old 55 gallon, I check 2x a week. Saturday and Wednesday. I top the water off as needed and glass clean as well. I'm now into the " ugly" stage and will be doing partial water changes 1 x week. I check EVERYDAY to make sure all of my equipment is working as it should be.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back