Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does not hurt to tell your health care person that you keep palythoa and that if you come in unresponsive to consider palytoxin. There is a note in my medical chart in the allergy section for quick viewing.

During my next regular visit I was going to print out some literature and take her, also tell her about our recent exposure.

reeftopia_

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't ever boil rocks in water. Ever!
If cutting to make frags, use PPE (personal protective equipment)
If you need to mess with them in tank and have a cut on your arms/hands, use gloves.
what kind of gloves do you recommend? Does it matter? Latex, rubber, etc.?

Top Shelf Aquatics

reeftopia_

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and as a follow up. i will know personally that i touched them or rubbed up against them because my sense of taste will be weird, everything tastes salty and can't taste very well. This is only the case with a a couple palys i have, most palys and zoas i have, have never bothered me at all. and the only extream reaction i have had was when i got it in my eye. I had a aquaculture guy tell me he gets cold like symptoms, runy nose, feels ill when he gets into them.
Maybe my new tank doesn't need zoa's after all lol!

Dburr1014

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Joe462

Review score
+3 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Maybe my new tank doesn't need zoa's after all lol!
Just be careful. I still keep some zoas and palys and i still only have two palys that i actually worry about. Most zoas that i have don't bother me at all. Be safe, wear gloves when you mess with palys and remember to wash your hands after you have been in the tank touching the corals. and don't do anything crazy like boil reef stuff, never understood why people would do that in the first place. a lot easier and safer ways to clean/disinfect rock if you really feel that's necessary. i have never done anything harsher than soaking/rinsing in tap or RODI water and or letting them dry out in the sun.

HBtank

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just be careful handling them directly, particularly if cutting them. I am not aware of people having issues just by random contact with skin or the water they are in. It requires direct contact with a wound, cutting and getting it in eyes, or something like boiling a rock with them. And it has to be a species that has the toxin, or at least enough of it.

Always wash your hands after handling livestock or being in your tank though.

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does not hurt to tell your health care person that you keep palythoa and that if you come in unresponsive to consider palytoxin. There is a note in my medical chart in the allergy section for quick viewing.

I did a full blood work and checkup 2 weeks ago, I had a printed copy about Palytoxin and gave her the entire rundown on what happened.

Nutramar Foods
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
AquaCave Logo Banner
Back