Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just had our bathroom tiles re-painted with a supposed non-toxic EP-Acrylic system manufactured by Integrity Coatings. First coat was just over a month ago and I noticed my corals dying since then. I didn't put 2 and 2 together. Then on Monday (3 days ago) they finished the floor in the shower. The entire place really stunk with fumes. Since then I've lost 2 chromis, my prized powder blue tang that I've had for 8 years and my choris wrasse. All the other fish are behaving oddly (sitting still, not really swimming around). I'm not sure what to do now as I think the majority of the damage has been done. What removes the toxins from the aquarium? Is carbon the only remedy, or will some of it get removed with the air exchange? Will do a water change when I get home from work but the largest capacity I can do is 30% per day. Any advice?

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

bnord

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am so sorry and feel for you - do you have quality activated carbon and or (in the case preferably) Purit you can run in a canister
that and direct airflow out of the house and water changes on a safe but accelerated schedule - make sure water parameters are matching on the change

OP
OP
JayinToronto

JayinToronto

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am so sorry and feel for you - do you have quality activated carbon and or (in the case preferably) Purit you can run in a canister
that and direct airflow out of the house and water changes on a safe but accelerated schedule - make sure water parameters are matching on the change
Thanks. I just refreshed my carbon canister the day before. But I think I will add more (I usually only fill it 1/3 full, will top it up). Fortunately I always run my protein skimmer through a tube to outside air. Will get started on the water changes.

Top Shelf Aquatics

bnord

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I just refreshed my carbon canister the day before. But I think I will add more (I usually only fill it 1/3 full, will top it up). Fortunately I always run my protein skimmer through a tube to outside air. Will get started on the water changes.
I have been convinced by anecdotes only that Purit does a better job with chemical/volatiles but of course that could be wrong - but it can't hurt
best of luck - let us know - hate that stress for you and your critters

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Just had our bathroom tiles re-painted with a supposed non-toxic EP-Acrylic system manufactured by Integrity Coatings. First coat was just over a month ago and I noticed my corals dying since then. I didn't put 2 and 2 together. Then on Monday (3 days ago) they finished the floor in the shower. The entire place really stunk with fumes. Since then I've lost 2 chromis, my prized powder blue tang that I've had for 8 years and my choris wrasse. All the other fish are behaving oddly (sitting still, not really swimming around). I'm not sure what to do now as I think the majority of the damage has been done. What removes the toxins from the aquarium? Is carbon the only remedy, or will some of it get removed with the air exchange? Will do a water change when I get home from work but the largest capacity I can do is 30% per day. Any advice?
Unfortunately this does happen and a tarp with blankets over the tank will make a huge difference along with blowing across tank or acting as an exhaust for the room
Along with fresh Lab grade carbon, run fan across tank and do 2 gallon water changes daily for 7-10 days- will be worth the time

OP
OP
JayinToronto

JayinToronto

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just completed my second daily 30% water change. Not easy on a 1600L system. Have been running 3x my normal amount of carbon in a reactor. Some of the fish look normal and are feeding well, but my two other tangs (sailfin and purple) and my rabbit fish are still acting weird and not eating with their normal voracity. I'm not going to do anything else for a week and observe.

Does anyone have an opinion as to how often should I be changing my carbon during this time?

Avast
OP
OP
JayinToronto

JayinToronto

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as your carbon goes, if your tank is saturated with VOC's. I would change the carbon every 3 days because there is a limit on how much carbon can absorb. This would depend on may factors so that is why I would say every three until things change.
Thanks!

OP
OP
JayinToronto

JayinToronto

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update. Everything seems to have stabilized. The corals have started growing again and I haven't had any more casualties. I'll continue larger than normal weekly water changes for a few more weeks and will change the carbon now weekly. Lessons learned.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

JBJAquarium.com
Back