Overgrown GSP— first post

cgoodman2003!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey yall! New to the thread, looking forward to engaging!! So as it stands, I have a 50 gal saltwater tank with the beginning to an overgrown GSP problem, as seen in the picture below. Anyone have any ideas as to how to remove it in my particular situation? Any ideas/recommendations?

My tank is roughly 4 years old, and the GSP had previously taken over the entire tank. As a result, I flipped most rocks, leaving me with the current scale. That said, the GSP is still very much alive, and I’d like to remove it before the same problem repeats itself. I’d like to add more corals but I fear the GSP will kill anything else. Let me know! Thanks!

P.s. the picture added doesn’t do full justice. If needed, I can post more pics. Lmk!

74318974430__0F84E8B8-0B6D-4CC8-AE68-6C0D7CB6F503.jpeg

OP
OP
C

cgoodman2003!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey yall! New to the thread, looking forward to engaging!! So as it stands, I have a 50 gal saltwater tank with the beginning to an overgrown GSP problem, as seen in the picture below. Anyone have any ideas as to how to remove it in my particular situation? Any ideas/recommendations?

My tank is roughly 4 years old, and the GSP had previously taken over the entire tank. As a result, I flipped most rocks, leaving me with the current scale. That said, the GSP is still very much alive, and I’d like to remove it before the same problem repeats itself. I’d like to add more corals but I fear the GSP will kill anything else. Let me know! Thanks!

P.s. the picture added doesn’t do full justice. If needed, I can post more pics. Lmk!

74318974430__0F84E8B8-0B6D-4CC8-AE68-6C0D7CB6F503.jpeg
Additional picture:

Attachments

• IMG_3249.jpeg
    IMG_3249.jpeg
    301.2 KB · Views: 57

Pod_01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I honestly don’t think you can completely remove it, but you can constantly rip it out (manual removal). Take the rock out and rip it clean.

I have GSP on its own rock:
1721878677171.jpeg

It is amazing coral but either keep it on back wall or on its own rock.

From my experience GSP grows well when parameters are great and not so well when everything else dies. So no way to really kill it, I swear it can live in toilet bowl. It will grow, envelope and suffocate every coral so manual removal is only option.
I don’t think anything eats it.

I found that Favias can keep it in check but no guarantee there.
1721879437118.jpeg

This one is right next to my GSP.

One benefit of GSP, it prevents algae from spreading. So there is that. Also when fully open like mine I know the water parameters are great.

That is all I got, good luck

eliaslikesfish

Kinda Addicted to Anemone’s and Clowns.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I honestly don’t think you can completely remove it, but you can constantly rip it out (manual removal). Take the rock out and rip it clean.

I have GSP on its own rock:
1721878677171.jpeg

It is amazing coral but either keep it on back wall or on its own rock.

From my experience GSP grows well when parameters are great and not so well when everything else dies. So no way to really kill it, I swear it can live in toilet bowl. It will grow, envelope and suffocate every coral so manual removal is only option.
I don’t think anything eats it.

I found that Favias can keep it in check but no guarantee there.
1721879437118.jpeg

This one is right next to my GSP.

One benefit of GSP, it prevents algae from spreading. So there is that. Also when fully open like mine I know the water parameters are great.

That is all I got, good luck
why not peel it off with a razor blade? that’s the easiest way to demolish it. if you want, take each piece of live rock out of the tank after removing any corals and really get every bit of the mat of the coral off.

Drewbacca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hydnophora will win.. plus likes much higher light , which gsp can survive in, but not thrive..esp while being stung. War coral also, as previously suggested. Its own rock is always best bet. Just move those gsp rocks to one side and get more rocks for the other side. Or move some down to the sump for a month..then peel off what you can. Maybe even put the rock in the sump or bucket with some of the gsp part sticking out, and keep brushing it with peroxide. ..just spitballin.. good luck! Keep us posted.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back