Offbeat rock: What is your opinion of non-traditional reef rocks?

BRS

What is your opinion of non-traditional reef rocks?

• Reef rocks should look like reef rocks.

Votes: 146 40.3%
  • I don’t care for the look of rocks that aren’t realistic.

Votes: 87 24.0%
  • Alternative rocks are a solid option if they do the job.

Votes: 114 31.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 15 4.1%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Offbeat rock: – What is your opinion of non-traditional reef rocks?

Most of us have an idea about what reef rock should look like and there is an idea that even artificial reef rock should look like the real thing. But occasionally, we see reef rock that appears to be cut flat or otherwise pre-shaped. For some some reefers this an opportunity to mix up the aquascaping and for others this just doesn’t seem right. Many times, the rocks will soon be covered with coral or other livestock so does it really matter as long as it is functionally sound? What is your opinion of non-traditional reef rocks? Do you care? Are you not a fan? Tell us how you feel about what reef rocks should look like in the following discussion.

donomite_flatrock.jpeg

Photo by @donomite

Petcrazyson

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a big fan of these. I enjoy the real rock style look and of course the jump start it gives me. Although I do like some of the aquascape styles some people do, and have used these for my Refugium. Don’t think I’ll come around to using them though, at least not in the DT.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I prefer natural rocks with pores as they are convenient for attaching plugs into the holes.

MoshJosh

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Caribsea Life Rock when possible (and when I can afford the extra cost). Especially fond of the "branch" style. I do like having the flat bottom for the rocks on the glass.

Also have used the "flats" like in the picture, in fact my 20L is exclusively this style of rock.

Last edited:

MoshJosh

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont even like it when people put decorations in like skulls and ships... but hey you pay for it, you look at it :)
Yeah I am not a fan of this either. . . though I have seem some cool stuff like an coral encrusted skull and a "sunken air plane" surrounded by corals. . . these weren't too bad.

Alfie

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I am not a fan of this either. . . though I have seem some cool stuff like an coral encrusted skull and a "sunken air plane" surrounded by corals. . . these weren't too bad.
Its one of those things, i dont mind seeing them in someone elses tank but not my own :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going for the minimalist look for my up and coming SCA150 Rimless BUILD this time around.
I added my center custom pcs from a company called [HASH=75799]#AQUAROCKS[/HASH] and the two end pcs that i got from [HASH=75801]#VIDAROCKS[/HASH].

Also, will be adding some of my old school Marshall Island live rock / & Tonga Branches that i HAVE left over from a very old build..
150 side shot.JPG

Last edited:

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think there is a place for everything. The flat rocks as in the picture I think are nice for mounting on blank back walls to give some depth and texture to them, and make them a place that don't need to be kept clean to look good. They also are nice for mounting on the bottom of the tank to build a more standard aquascape on top of.

From my experience of aquascaping several big tanks - 400, 450, 750, 900 we used to get slab rock from Tonga. These were coral based rocks that were like the size of XL, XXL, and XXXL Pizzas. Now while these aren't the traditional 'shape' of reef rock (to most people). These were fantastic pieces of rock for aquascaping large tanks that could accommodate them, because they gave you great big flat shelves for mounting corals on.

I think the bigger issue, that most people are not aware of, is where does the rock originate from.

10+ years ago from a South Pacific Island containers of what looked like reef rock was shipped into the states. It was actual coral based rock, that had been harvested from the sea decades earlier, and then used as the base for a highway. When the highway was dug up, someone got smart and bought the rock and shipped it to us hobbyists. Most of the rock was fine, but some was loaded with nasties it had collected being just underneath bad asphalt for decades. Or covered in oils and residue from the equipment that collected the rock from the highway.

One of the current rocks on the market is harvested from underneath mangrove forests. Mangroves grew on top of the base rock, and then spent eons collecting crap that sat on the rock for eons and was slowly absorbed in. Some of these rocks need a good bathing process to release some of the nasty's they have absorbed, else algae problems could plague the hobbyist for a long time.

Dave B

steveschuerger

Corals Admittedly Goni and Torch/Frogspawn nut
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely the natural look. Never been fond of oddball deco in freshwater either. Here’s both the reef and my discus tank
DDAC02DC-D8C8-4A0B-B810-129850D5FF81.jpeg
EF1AF60D-3E3A-405F-B866-DE1029938EC2.jpeg

zoomonster

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey whatever does it for someone. For me real deal or no deal. Granted I was fortunate enough to get good real rock years ago and I understand the hurdles of trying to get decent live rock these days. From what I gather all that's available these days is land mined dead rock or the same tossed into the ocean and "aquacultured". Well, there's always the purple painted "real reef" that's kind of alive (at least bacterially). Honestly if I had to start from scratch the only choice, I see is the Tampa Bay farmed stuff or similar.

threebuoys

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an aversion to paying the prices typically charged for real or artificial reef rocks these days. So, I pick up coquina off the beach. I suspect when new it is not as effective as real coral reef rock but it attracts coraline just as well, it holds bacteria just as well, and I find a lot of interesting shapes that have worked well. I haven't noticed any downside.

jft

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an aversion to paying the prices typically charged for real or artificial reef rocks these days. So, I pick up coquina off the beach. I suspect when new it is not as effective as real coral reef rock but it attracts coraline just as well, it holds bacteria just as well, and I find a lot of interesting shapes that have worked well. I haven't noticed any downside.
Thats great but NOT everyone lives near a beach or Have access to free oick up off the sand rocks, LOL.

bushdoc

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As scuba diver I attest that reefscape in nature is usually not as elaborate as many reefers are creating. Small crevices and holes are common, but elaborate arches are quite rare and usually magnet to divers exploring them.
I have seen few wrecks there covered with corals and other growth, but no castles or pineapple under the sea.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
RED SEA
Back