Nitrite still not dropping

bombilate

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been about 4 to 5 weeks now and still nitrite issues. I had my water tested at LFS too using a different kit than mine... Ammonia 0, nitrite 4 and nitrate 40. Oh was perfect although my kit shows ph is low this is after a 25 percent water change which apparently did nothing I did another 25 percent water change 2 days ago and nitrite is still the same it's not going down I put in some seachem stability 2 weeks ago which is meant to reduce nitrite etc but nothing seems to be working. Any ideas? I only have 1 hermit crab no fish etc and the crabs new only put in last week

unclejed

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been about 4 to 5 weeks now and still nitrite issues. I had my water tested at LFS too using a different kit than mine... Ammonia 0, nitrite 4 and nitrate 40. Oh was perfect although my kit shows ph is low this is after a 25 percent water change which apparently did nothing I did another 25 percent water change 2 days ago and nitrite is still the same it's not going down I put in some seachem stability 2 weeks ago which is meant to reduce nitrite etc but nothing seems to be working. Any ideas? I only have 1 hermit crab no fish etc and the crabs new only put in last week
Are you using RO/Di or distilled water or tap water? Also, give it time, 4-5 weeks (I take it that is how long the tank has been up and running) is not a long time as far as total cycling time goes.

OP
OP
B

bombilate

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using RO/Di or distilled water or tap water? Also, give it time, 4-5 weeks (I take it that is how long the tank has been up and running) is not a long time as far as total cycling time goes.
Ro water which is spotless it's from a company who guarantee 0tds etc. I cycled using Dr Tims and ammonia but somehow it stalled by the looks of it and isn't carrying on

OP
OP
B

bombilate

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just don't understand why the nitrite isn't dropping though especially after water change I'm going to start adding a fish and soft coral it's just annoying not knowing why

chip shop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrites are a test not needed on a marine tank,if ammonia has spiked and dropped you’re good to go just take it slowly

Bruttall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With my tank, around 18 months old now,
phos is .10
Nitrate is 40
PH is 8
DKh is 10 to 12 normally
CA is around 460 to 520.

Reading 4 nitrite means there is Bacteria in there converting ammonia, having Nitrate means there is bacteria converting the nitrite, it's a 4 step process for ammonia to become nitrate gas and evaporate and the last step is the only really slow step, the gaseous conversion which is why a lot of us run a fuge or algae scrubber to remove excess nitrate. Even then that is an ambiguous term because I see nitrates above 60 and my tank does not seem to suffer. And some corals in particular love high nutrient (high nitrate and phos) systems, like Zoanthids.

Good luck

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back