Help with stalled cycle.

Monad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long story short.

When I started up my tank, I added too much ammonia because I was misreading my API test kits. I have since switched to Red Sea.

Ammonia was sky high, I did about a 1/3 water change. Went away for a week. Came back, ammonia was even higher, Red Sea test came back blue, and no nitrate detected.

I did about a 60-70% water change. Now test shows ammonia at either 2.0ppm or higher, but is no longer blue.

I added some more Ocean Direct live sand and a piece of pre cycled media from my LFS that only has bacteria and maybe some diatoms.

Did a test the next day. No change in ammonia, it may have been even higher. Nitrite test came back as detected.

I’m afraid as the title says that I have may have stalled my cycle. Also scared that the nitrite only came in with the live sand and the cycle is actually still stalled.

Is there anything else I can do? I don’t want to do another water change unless I have to.

I did order some Fritz Turbostart 900 from Algae Barn because it seems to do well in high ammonia environments. Tank originally had Dr. Tim’s added two weeks ago.

Is there anything else I can do or should do that I’m not thinking of? Did I do anything I should not have done besides my original mistake of adding too much ammonia?

OP
OP
Monad

Monad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just did a new ammonia and nitrite test.
IMG_9821.jpeg
IMG_9820.jpeg

PharmrJohn

The Dude Abides
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your tank and what kind of rock did you use (Live or Dry)? The bacteria you added should be enough to start (as well as the live sand you just added). You do not need to do any water changes. Just wait it out and test every couple of days. The conversion of ammonia to nitrite is rather rapid, but nitrite to nitrate slower. And the nitrite did not come on the media you added. What you are detecting is the bacteria doing their job. And honestly, I wouldn't test for nitrite. Just ammonia and Nitrate. Since Nitrate is the end goal it's pointless to measure the intermediate step. Once you get to where you have about 20ppm Nitrate, and 2ppm of ammonia is converted to zero in a 24 hour period, you're golden.

OP
OP
Monad

Monad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your tank and what kind of rock did you use (Live or Dry)? The bacteria you added should be enough to start (as well as the live sand you just added). You do not need to do any water changes. Just wait it out and test every couple of days. The conversion of ammonia to nitrite is rather rapid, but nitrite to nitrate slower. And the nitrite did not come on the media you added. What you are detecting is the bacteria doing their job. And honestly, I wouldn't test for nitrite. Just ammonia and Nitrate. Since Nitrate is the end goal it's pointless to measure the intermediate step. Once you get to where you have about 20ppm Nitrate, and 2ppm of ammonia is converted to zero in a 24 hour period, you're golden.
90 gallon display. Tank had no nitrite in it for two weeks. Only first appeared after I did the massive water change.

It’s all dry rock, mix of dry and live sand. I have some ceramic media in the sump.

image.jpg

PharmrJohn

The Dude Abides
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it. Sorry about that. Thought you were on your way. You did a big water change. And that's OK. You brought down the ammonia level somewhat and that'll help with any bacterial inhibition that may be present. I really don't like those color tests. At this point, I think you've done what you can do. Just wait it out and see what happens.

OP
OP
Monad

Monad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it. Sorry about that. Thought you were on your way. You did a big water change. And that's OK. You brought down the ammonia level somewhat and that'll help with any bacterial inhibition that may be present. I really don't like those color tests. At this point, I think you've done what you can do. Just wait it out and see what happens.
Thanks.

Some of the dry rock was previously live and was kept in the garage of the guy I bought the tank from. I think there were some dead hitchhikers inside who started rotting once they rehydrated. That probably caused the ammonia spike along with me accidentally overdosing.

The good news is that the nitrite has a slightly deeper tint than before, about 8 hours, imo. So hopefully you’re right and I unstuck my stalled cycle.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem with really high doses of Ammonia is that, as you've discovered, they can stop the cycle.

There is simply too much, and at those levels it is toxic to the very bacteria that are needed to cycle the tank.

Eventually the ammonia will dissipate to the extent where the cycle will restart - I don't think that adding any more bacteria will help. This may take a couple of months.

Your alternative is to do a massive 90% water change to get that ammonia down to the point where the bacterial have a chance to start doing their job.

I've actually done this experiment myself a couple of times after a failed cycle many years back.

You can wait it out, or water change to kick start it again.

OP
OP
Monad

Monad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem with really high doses of Ammonia is that, as you've discovered, they can stop the cycle.

There is simply too much, and at those levels it is toxic to the very bacteria that are needed to cycle the tank.

Eventually the ammonia will dissipate to the extent where the cycle will restart - I don't think that adding any more bacteria will help. This may take a couple of months.

Your alternative is to do a massive 90% water change to get that ammonia down to the point where the bacterial have a chance to start doing there job.

I've actually down this experiment myself a couple of times after a failed cycle many years back.

You can wait it out, or water change to kick start it again.
I think the massive water change may have done it. I’ll test the nitrite again tomorrow. If it’s a slightly deeper tint, I know that I got the cycle unstuck. Hopefully then it’ll be exponential bacteria growth as the ammonia goes down.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the massive water change may have done it. I’ll test the nitrite again tomorrow. If it’s a slightly deeper tint, I know that I got the cycle unstuck. Hopefully then it’ll be exponential bacteria growth as the ammonia goes down.
You'll probably end up with a high level of Nitrate, but that is not a real concern for the fish or hardy corals you will introduce at the start.

I wouldn't be doing more water changes to bring Nitrate down once your Ammonia is zero.
You can ignore Nitrite, just check Ammonia and look for close to zero.

OP
OP
Monad

Monad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say you do not like the color tests, do you mean my results or color tests in general?

OP
OP
Monad

Monad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say you do not like the color tests, do you mean my results or color tests in general?

Edit: Internet crapped out and I accidentally posted twice.

PharmrJohn

The Dude Abides
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Edit: Internet crapped out and I accidentally posted twice.
I just suck at reading colors properly. I'm not color blind, just challenged! When my tank finally gets up and running, I'll be using Hanna Checkers where ever I can. There are a few of the Hanna Checkers that I won't get (Mg and Ca), but the rest? Sign me up and give me a number that I can read!

B&CinB.C.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the same thing with Dr. Tims ammonia. I don't Think the directions are very good as to how much ammonia to put in and as to what should happen when you put the ammonia in. Someone on here, ( I don't remember who) told me too much ammonia can stall the cycle or kill off one of the types of bacteria. I added bacteria every day and the cycle finally completed. I used polyplab genisis which only requires a few drops a day. The cycle took about ten or twelve days longer than it was supposed to but it did happen .Be patient

Jasongtr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd ignore your seachem ammonia alert too, the indication button in the middle appears to be missing

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back