+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All

About 2 weeks ago I moved my 32g tank inhabitants into a 130.4g Waterbox, I moved all the rock, water and livestock but replaced the sand with new.

Not had any live stock issues and corals for the most part look good but my water chemistry is a little off. These are my results as of half hour ago
Alk: 7.2
Ph: 7.9
Nitrate: 2.5
Nitrite: 25
Phos: 0.56
Ammonia 0

I have been running Rowaphos in the sump but it's slowly going up, last record was .22, nitrates have dropped from 10 to 2.5 and my nitrites are going up from last recorded 14 to now 25. Did I cause a mini cycle? I have been using microbactor7 thinking it might help a little bit doesn't seem to.

Have several fish inc clowns, royal gramma, gobys and a bunch of lps corals and anemones. They seem ok for now. I did a 20% water change yesterday but should I hold off on more for the tank to establish, anything I can add to it that won't tip it over the edge?

Thank you

Stu

AS

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All

About 2 weeks ago I moved my 32g tank inhabitants into a 130.4g Waterbox, I moved all the rock, water and livestock but replaced the sand with new.

Not had any live stock issues and corals for the most part look good but my water chemistry is a little off. These are my results as of half hour ago
Ammonia 0

I have been running Rowaphos in the sump but it's slowly going up, last record was .22, nitrates have dropped from 10 to 2.5 and my nitrites are going up from last recorded 14 to now 25. Did I cause a mini cycle? I have been using microbactor7 thinking it might help a little bit doesn't seem to.

Have several fish inc clowns, royal gramma, gobys and a bunch of lps corals and anemones. They seem ok for now. I did a 20% water change yesterday but should I hold off on more for the tank to establish, anything I can add to it that won't tip it over the edge?

Thank you

Stu
Hi stu .
slow down on the water changes
Ive had the the same issue with my 230 when I upgraded from a 90 to the 230
I am having a very hard time keeping nitrates and rowaphos isn’t working as good as it used to for removing phosphates .
perhaps from the levels being elevated they will continue leaching from the rocks ,

taricha

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you clarify your nitrite reading? Is that like ppb on a hanna checker?

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Pistondog

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All

Ammonia 0

Thank you

Stu
Wait and let things stabilize. You dont want nitrates to drop to zero. Longer term, think do you plan on nutrient export other than water changes?

OP
OP
O

Outatime

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you clarify your nitrite reading? Is that like ppb on a hanna checker?
Hi, thank you yes sorry I was using a Hanna checker ppb.

I would welcome any advice on exporting nutrients, I only really have a skimmer, what would you recommend? Would a reef mat roller help? Or bio balls?

Thank you again, will definitely slow down water changes for now.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, thank you yes sorry I was using a Hanna checker ppb.

I would welcome any advice on exporting nutrients, I only really have a skimmer, what would you recommend? Would a reef mat roller help? Or bio balls?

Thank you again, will definitely slow down water changes for now.
A refugium is one of the best ways.

BRS

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming the values are all accurate, then to lower phosphate you either you need to

1. Use a phosphate only export method
or
2. dose nitrate (or ammonia) to boost nitrate while simultaneously using a balanced export method (such as macroalgae)

The nitrite is no concern and I'd stop measuring it.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
O

Outatime

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Randy , thank you, I am using Rowaphos, would you recommend anything different to use? If I dose Nitrate /Ammonia would that not cause problems with the inhabitants? Thanks again

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Randy , thank you, I am using Rowaphos, would you recommend anything different to use? If I dose Nitrate /Ammonia would that not cause problems with the inhabitants? Thanks again

GFO (as Rowaphos is) is a fine way to go. :)

Dosing nitrate or ammonia in appropriate amounts when it is low doesn't negatively impact organisms.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you again, once the phosphate remover has done it's job and at an acceptable level should it be removed from the tank?

If it gets used up and phosphate rises again, time to replace it. If phosphate is staying where you want it , then leaving it there to possibly absorb more in the future is fine.

OP
OP
O

Outatime

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you again, ok so did a test last night, my phos has dropped to 0.06 but my Nitrates are now only 0.9 which seems pretty low, thinking I should dose with NeoNitro?

taricha

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go easy on too many changes quickly. Having low but detectable nitrate is not a problem. If you decide later you want to bump it up if it stays like that for a couple of weeks then that is probably fine.

mark2781

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All

Ammonia 0

Thank you

Stu

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Champion Lighting & Supply
Back