Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pond appears to have cycled its processing ammonia fine. Dropped from 3ppm to 0 in about 30hrs. (Seachem badge gave the all clear in under 24hrs). My issue is the Nitrites. I understand nitrites is not supposed to be an issue for Marine Fish but wondering how my sharks would tolerate it. I’ve done 2 150gallon water changes and still reading over 5ppm. Really wanted to move the sharks this weekend so I’d be able to monitor there acclimation more steadily. Anyone have any experience with nitrites and sharks?

Thoughts,Opinions?

Slocke

Wrasse Nerd
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pond appears to have cycled its processing ammonia fine. Dropped from 3ppm to 0 in about 30hrs. (Seachem badge gave the all clear in under 24hrs). My issue is the Nitrites. I understand nitrites is not supposed to be an issue for Marine Fish but wondering how my sharks would tolerate it. I’ve done 2 150gallon water changes and still reading over 5ppm. Really wanted to move the sharks this weekend so I’d be able to monitor there acclimation more steadily. Anyone have any experience with nitrites and sharks?

Thoughts,Opinions?
What are you testing with? @Aspect may also be able to help?

Top Shelf Aquatics

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thoughts,Opinions?
Sharks have not shown any overt toxicity to nitrite for me, same as bony fishes.

My concern here would the ability for the pond to convert the waste produced by the sharks, because ammonia could jump.

Have you been pulsing ammonia into the pond daily? If so, what ppm? If not, and the pond just converted a standing amount of ammonia, the bacteria may not be sufficient to metabolize the continuous influx of ammonia when you add the sharks.

There is also a concern that I have never been able to work out: bony fishes produce ammonia, but sharks produce urea. I’ve never been able to figure out if that sidetracks the process, does the urea need to be converted to ammonia by bacteria?
Jay

Spare time

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sharks have not shown any overt toxicity to nitrite for me, same as bony fishes.

My concern here would the ability for the pond to convert the waste produced by the sharks, because ammonia could jump.

Have you been pulsing ammonia into the pond daily? If so, what ppm? If not, and the pond just converted a standing amount of ammonia, the bacteria may not be sufficient to metabolize the continuous influx of ammonia when you add the sharks.

There is also a concern that I have never been able to work out: bony fishes produce ammonia, but sharks produce urea. I’ve never been able to figure out if that sidetracks the process, does the urea need to be converted to ammonia by bacteria?
Jay

I wonder if purigen would be good in a shark pond. It says it removes nitrogenous wastes, and not ammonia. From my reasoning it removes urea. Might be helpful in a new shark tank?

World Wide Corals
OP
OP
S

speedjester

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
Jay. I originally cycled the tank with 2 gallons Fritz turbo start using shrimp. Two days later my ammonia arrived. I over dosed the ammonia to 3ppm. The ammonia registered 0 within 24 hrs. Wednesday I dosed Ammonia this time to close to 4ppm by Thursday late afternoon. Salifert and seachem badges showed 0 ammonia I then completed a 100 gallon water Change checked Nitrites over 5ppm. Friday completed another 150 gallon WC and I picked up another Gallon of Fritz Turbo start and added it. Last night dosed tank to 1ppm this morning showed 0 ammonia. But Nitrites are still over 5ppm.

Its only been 9 days since I started the cycle but I’ve dosed more than 4 times the recommended bacteria Rock work is minimal. A few Lg rocks total 80lbs and close to 150 lbs of oolite sand.

Do you see any issues moving the over this evening?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay. I originally cycled the tank with 2 gallons Fritz turbo start using shrimp. Two days later my ammonia arrived. I over dosed the ammonia to 3ppm. The ammonia registered 0 within 24 hrs. Wednesday I dosed Ammonia this time to close to 4ppm by Thursday late afternoon. Salifert and seachem badges showed 0 ammonia I then completed a 100 gallon water Change checked Nitrites over 5ppm. Friday completed another 150 gallon WC and I picked up another Gallon of Fritz Turbo start and added it. Last night dosed tank to 1ppm this morning showed 0 ammonia. But Nitrites are still over 5ppm.

Its only been 9 days since I started the cycle but I’ve dosed more than 4 times the recommended bacteria Rock work is minimal. A few Lg rocks total 80lbs and close to 150 lbs of oolite sand.

Do you see any issues moving the over this evening?
It sounds like it is processing ammonia well, but of course, I don’t have a clue as to the biomass/water volume your sharks will impose. For normally stocked tanks, if the bacteria can process 1 to 2 ppm ammonia in 24 hours, the tank can handle a normal fish load.
Personally, I always add some fish, then wait two days to double check for an ammonia spike before adding more.
If the ammonia goes wild on you, can you just move some of the sharks back to where they are now? Always have a plan B!

Jay

OP
OP
S

speedjester

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like it is processing ammonia well, but of course, I don’t have a clue as to the biomass/water volume your sharks will impose. For normally stocked tanks, if the bacteria can process 1 to 2 ppm ammonia in 24 hours, the tank can handle a normal fish load.
Personally, I always add some fish, then wait two days to double check for an ammonia spike before adding more.
If the ammonia goes wild on you, can you just move some of the sharks back to where they are now? Always have a plan B!

Jay
I placed a few Mollies in there last night. They appear fine. I’m close to 400 gallons. I just intend to move 2 Bamboos around 20” and a marble cat shark around 24”

I’ll also be moving another 30lbs of live rock ( There Caves) over. That should help.

World Wide Corals
OP
OP
S

speedjester

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
Thank you. I appreciate your time.

OP
OP
S

speedjester

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW you can buy some big bottles of cycling bacteria for relatively cheap. If you get worried and want a backup plan, you can always add more of that when the sharks go in.
Moved sharks over yesterday afternoon. Fed heavily last night. This morning ammonia was at 0..Nitrites still high. I’ve put 3 gallons of Fritz turbo start 900 in there already. Great stuff but expensive.

CLICK TO VIEW

Spare time

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moved sharks over yesterday afternoon. Fed heavily last night. This morning ammonia was at 0..Nitrites still high. I’ve put 3 gallons of Fritz turbo start 900 in there already. Great stuff but expensive.

Oh wow I've never heard of someone using 3 gallons of that stuf. Ammonia stands no chance haha

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Big Sale !! UP To 50% OFF !! On Fish Antibiotics
Back