Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put some more nitrobacter into the aquarium. The bacteria that converted your ammonia to nitrite was nitrosomas, not nitrobacter. You need more nitrobacter to get from nitrite to nitrate. So add some nitrobacter to speed things up.

Most of these bacterial supplements have insufficient nitrobacter and more than enough nitrosomas. That’s why you get the unbalanced cycle.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
M

Mrdbzking

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put some more nitrobacter into the aquarium. The bacteria that converted your ammonia to nitrite was nitrosomas, not nitrobacter. You need more nitrobacter to get from nitrite to nitrate. So add some nitrobacter to speed things up.

Most of these bacterial supplements have insufficient nitrobacter and more than enough nitrosomas. That’s why you get the unbalanced cycle.
Yeah I actually added microbacter 7 a time after ammonia dropped to 0

OP
OP
M

Mrdbzking

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So another update. Nitrites reading about 2.5 now, while nitrates skyrocketed to around 70ppm. I increased my feedings from 1 a day to 3 times a day for the clowns as of last Thursday. Nitrites are reading about the same but nitrate readings went up to around 70ppm in the last two days. I'm going to assume that the cycle is very close to completing if not already. I have also had no increase in ammonia during all my tests.

Corals.com

bruno3047

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So another update. Nitrites reading about 2.5 now, while nitrates skyrocketed to around 70ppm. I increased my feedings from 1 a day to 3 times a day for the clowns as of last Thursday. Nitrites are reading about the same but nitrate readings went up to around 70ppm in the last two days. I'm going to assume that the cycle is very close to completing if not already. I have also had no increase in ammonia during all my tests.
If nitrates went that high, then nitrites also went that high at some point if you were testing daily. You have to remember, we’re dealing in molecule for molecule here. Each ammonia molecule yields one nitrite molecule which yields one nitrate molecule. You should be OK now because nitrobacter has a 13 hour duplication rate and if you were at 70 ppm nitrite, you should be in good shape. Obviously check it over the next few days to be sure. I agree with Tony. A large water change is necessary at this point.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If nitrates went that high, then nitrites also went that high at some point if you were testing daily. You have to remember, we’re dealing in molecule for molecule here. Each ammonia molecule yields one nitrite molecule which yields one nitrate molecule. You should be OK now because nitrobacter has a 13 hour duplication rate and if you were at 70 ppm nitrite, you should be in good shape. Obviously check it over the next few days to be sure. I agree with Tony. A large water change is necessary at this point.

Nitrates at x does not mean that at some point nitrites were at x. A reef aquarium(especially a new one) is much more efficient at converting nitrite to nitrate than it is at eliminating those nitrates. Theoretically you can end up with 200 nitrates and nitrites never having went above 1. Realistically it is quite normal in new tanks to reach nitrate levels much higher than the peak nitrite value ever was.

In any case it is mostly irrelevant. His tank has been processing ammonia fine for awhile and aquarium is and has been safe for livestock (though i would do large WC to lower nitrates).

Corals.com

bruno3047

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrates at x does not mean that at some point nitrites were at x. A reef aquarium(especially a new one) is much more efficient at converting nitrite to nitrate than it is at eliminating those nitrates. Theoretically you can end up with 200 nitrates and nitrites never having went above 1. Realistically it is quite normal in new tanks to reach nitrate levels much higher than the peak nitrite value ever was.

In any case it is mostly irrelevant. His tank has been processing ammonia fine for awhile and aquarium is and has been safe for livestock (though i would do large WC to lower nitrates

bruno3047

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I meant to say was that if he has 70 PPM NO3 then he had to produce at least 70 PPM NO2 to get to the 70 PPM NO3. You make a valid point that the NO2 was probably not all present at the same time. I used this assumption to draw the conclusion that he had established a solid nitrobacter base since those bacteria double every 13 to 15 hours. Taking this into consideration he probably peaked NO2 at about 25 PPM. So I suggested a large water change and continued testing. I would never suggest that the OP add expensive animals to an environment where N02 was still present. As far as your statement “In any case it is mostly irrelevant. His tank has been processing ammonia fine for awhile”, the bacteria cultures required for converting ammonia are completely different than the bacteria required for converting nitrite. Nitrosonomas are required for converting ammonia while nitrobacter are required for converting nitrite, so to draw any conclusions regarding his nitrite conversion from his ammonia conversion would be flawed.

Last edited:
Top Shelf Aquatics

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so to draw any conclusions regarding his nitrite conversion from his ammonia conversion would be flawed.

I drew no conclusions at all about nitrite conversion. I did not need to because it is is irrelevant from a perspective of the health of livestock. Unless he has done something like pour nitrites into his tank they wont get to a level that makes them harmful in a saltwater aquarium.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you guys are missing the multiplication factor in false nitrate reads due to the presence of nitrite.

Right.

The OP may have 0 nitrate. no way to know based on these tests.

CLICK TO VIEW

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I meant to say was that if he has 70 PPM NO3 then he had to produce at least 70 PPM NO2 to get to the 70 PPM NO3. You make a valid point that the NO2 was probably not all present at the same time.

He may have 0 nitrate now, and have always had zero. No way to know if nitrite is actually 2.5 ppm.

The whole 70 ppm nitrate would be pure interference with 0.7 ppm nitrite using some kits.

bruno3047

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He may have 0 nitrate now, and have always had zero. No way to know if nitrite is actually 2.5 ppm.

The whole 70 ppm nitrate would be pure interference with 0.7 ppm nitrite using some kits.
That’s disappointing to find out that product is being sold under false pretenses. Like “nitrifying bacteria-infused dry manufactured painted rock”. Do the manufacturers of these flawed tests know that their product is useless?

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s disappointing to find out that product is being sold under false pretenses. Like “nitrifying bacteria-infused dry manufactured painted rock”.

Some make it clear. Tropic Marin, for example:

Note: Nitrite concentrations affect the nitrate measurement. Therefore, the nitrite concentration should also be measured and, if required, the nitrate results should be corrected in relation to the table below before carrying out the nitrate measurement.

1644261317403.png

World Wide Corals

bruno3047

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Note: Nitrite concentrations affect the nitrate measurement. Therefore, the nitrite concentration should also be measured and, if required, the nitrate results should be corrected in relation to the table below before carrying out the nitrate measurement.

View attachment 2540702
That’s interesting. I wonder how much of the aquarium testing market Tropic Marin holds on a percentage basis. I guess if you’re not using Tropic Marin testing equipment, you might as well flush your money down the toilet.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s interesting. I wonder how much of the aquarium testing market Tropic Marin holds on a percentage basis. I guess if you’re not using Tropic Marin testing equipment, you might as well flush your money down the toilet.

LOL I been flushing a lot of money down the toilet then, but at least it works for me!

bruno3047

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

View attachment 2540702
Wow. A little research and you see how screwed these test kits actually are. Tropic Marin a.k.a. Velocity International is not even among the top manufacturers in aquarium test kits.
LOL I been flushing a lot of money down the toilet then, but at least it works for me!
That makes no sense. But whatever floats your boat.

bruno3047

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

View attachment 2540702

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back