Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to have one but price does have an impact on my decision. I bought a gem tang that suddenly died while I was gone for 5 hours. I think he banged his fin and partially ripped it off!
Yes! I lost a flashing tilefish unfortunately and that left a dent on my bank and my tank. I hate when fish that add a HUGE character to the tank die because it feels like the tank is empty.

These guys are beautiful but the price will quite possibly rise now it’s been properly described.

AS

Digitalfirex

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clip from the website.

It's safe to say environmental news has been somewhat of a drag recently — between ongoing droughts, storms, and wildfires — though it's always promising to hear that a new species was discovered. Recently, in the waters surrounding the beautiful Maldives, a new fish called the rose-veiled fairy wrassewas officially discovered. Not only is it absolutely gorgeous, boasting an eye-catching array of colors, but it's also a scientific phenomenon.
Depths of 131-299. (40 to 70 meters)

thoughts?
View attachment 2584847
Sorry to sound like bad news bears but this isn't a new fish being discovered. It's already a fish that you can buy in the hobby.

To recap the news: scientists just realized it's a new species... they had previously thought it was a fish part of another species in one of the wrasse phases. Ie. Juvenile, male, supermale...

CLICK TO VIEW

Digitalfirex

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"What we previously thought was one widespread species of fish, is actually two different species, each with a potentially much more restricted distribution," says lead author and University of Sydney doctoral student Yi-Kai Tea. "This exemplifies why describing new species, and taxonomy in general, is important for conservation and biodiversity management."

Despite only just being described, the researchers say that the Rose-Veiled Fairy Wrasse is already being exploited through the aquarium hobbyist trade.

"Though the species is quite abundant and therefore not currently at a high risk of overexploitation, it's still unsettling when a fish is already being commercialized before it even has a scientific name," says senior author and Academy Curator of Ichthyology Luiz Rocha, PhD,.."

Rkdunn1

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clip from the website.

It's safe to say environmental news has been somewhat of a drag recently — between ongoing droughts, storms, and wildfires — though it's always promising to hear that a new species was discovered. Recently, in the waters surrounding the beautiful Maldives, a new fish called the rose-veiled fairy wrassewas officially discovered. Not only is it absolutely gorgeous, boasting an eye-catching array of colors, but it's also a scientific phenomenon.
Depths of 131-299. (40 to 70 meters)

thoughts?
View attachment 2584847
I want one!

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to this, it has been sold in the hobby as its relative C. rubrisquamis in the past. The price will only rise IF they’re hunted for more.

This is most likely a mature female but without knowing Actual Size I couldn’t tell you.
Yup, this fish has been available. I bought a juvenile/female from ReefPros labeled as rubrisquammis. Saw this article and messaged them about where it was collected. They responded Malé in the Maldives, which would be where C. finefinmaa is found and collected, not rubrisquammis.

And I'll add it was a lot less than $400...

received_411278080761890.jpeg

AS
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Visit Detroit Reef Club
Back