New Saltwater Tank BioCube 16 Gallon - Clownfish

newfishhobbiest

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

My new BioCube 16 Gallon tank is setup and I put in two clownfishes in.

One of the fish looks injured, the store I got it from told me to keep it for a week and see how it behaves and if it gets worse they would exchange it for another clown fish.

Here are the videos:

Started Tank 30 Days ago - Fully cycled with Dr. Tim's and Activate and testing for ammonica/nitrite/nitrate/PH/alkalinity and water temp to make sure everything was good before adding fish.

Did two water changes of 10% to 15% during the first 27 days

Added 2 ClownFish 3 Days ago - Floating 20 mins, drip acclimation for 40 mins

What corals would you add?
What other live stock would you add?

P.S. - Thank you to @Sharkbait19 for all his help on my other thread.

Just started a new thread to keep it clean.

kevgib67

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

One of the fish looks injured, the store I got it from told me to keep it for a week and see how it behaves and if it gets worse they would exchange it for another clown fish.

Here are the videos:

Started Tank 30 Days ago - Fully cycled with Dr. Tim's and Activate and testing for ammonica/nitrite/nitrate/PH/alkalinity and water temp to make sure everything was good before adding fish.

I love clownfish, I couldn’t imagine having a reef tank without them. Great time to start adding pods before diatoms start. Cuc should be added slowly as algae begins to appear, you don’t want them to starve. For keeping the sand turned over and clean, nassarius snails. For the rocks and glass perhaps one turbo snail, trochus and cerith snails. Dwarf red and blue legged hermits are great scavengers. I also wouldn’t have a tank without a skunk cleaner shrimp. A royal gramma would add a pop of color or a tailspot blenny, small fish with a huge personality. Here is a pic of my 32g Biocube to give you some ideas on corals. Best of luck and welcome, glad you are here!
A0AE5316-6D52-40F9-913B-E60130E09FD0.jpeg

OP
OP
N

newfishhobbiest

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love clownfish, I couldn’t imagine having a reef tank without them. Great time to start adding pods before diatoms start. Cuc should be added slowly as algae begins to appear, you don’t want them to starve. For keeping the sand turned over and clean, nassarius snails. For the rocks and glass perhaps one turbo snail, trochus and cerith snails. Dwarf red and blue legged hermits are great scavengers. I also wouldn’t have a tank without a skunk cleaner shrimp. A royal gramma would add a pop of color or a tailspot blenny, small fish with a huge personality. Here is a pic of my 32g Biocube to give you some ideas on corals. Best of luck and welcome, glad you are here!
Thank you Kev, really beautiful 32g Biocube you have there!!!

For the pods, 1 bottle of Tigger Pods should be enough for my 16g correct?

For CUC, how many would you add slowly, (1 - Nassarius Snails, 1 Turbo Snail, 1 Trochus, 1 Cerith Snails and 1 of Dwarf Red and Blue Legged Hermits, 1 Skunk Cleaner Shrimp) any specific order for the clean up crew?

Lastly maybe in few weeks I will add a royal gramma see how the tank is doing.

Once the water is stable introduce corals.

Sorry for all the questions just a newbie learning, appreciate your help!

kevgib67

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Kev, really beautiful 32g Biocube you have there!!!

For the pods, 1 bottle of Tigger Pods should be enough for my 16g correct?

For CUC, how many would you add slowly, (1 - Nassarius Snails, 1 Turbo Snail, 1 Trochus, 1 Cerith Snails and 1 of Dwarf Red and Blue Legged Hermits, 1 Skunk Cleaner Shrimp) any specific order for the clean up crew?

Lastly maybe in few weeks I will add a royal gramma see how the tank is doing.

Once the water is stable introduce corals.

Sorry for all the questions just a newbie learning, appreciate your help!
Ask away anytime! Yes one bottle would be fine. Personally I prefer a mix of multiple types like I get at Dinken’s Aquatics but many use just Tiggers. Don’t forget that you will need phytoplankton to feed them as well. The hermits and shrimp are scavengers and will eat any leftover fish food your clowns miss. That sounds like a plan with the snails but make sure there is algae in there so they don’t starve and knowing you’ll need to add more when they can’t keep up.

reinert

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 1 clown, 1 fire fish, 1 goby, 3 blue legged hermits, 2 emerald crabs, 1, turbo snail, one sand snails, 1 giant snail, and 1 shrimp. 3 zoas and 1 star polyp. My BioCube 16 is 7 months old now. Looking to add more corals and a nem... but patience is the long game. But I hope you have a successful tank and a wonderful time. Your tank is looking good. Here is a picture of mine.
17214085487283656309231970300892.jpg

OP
OP
N

newfishhobbiest

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 1 clown, 1 fire fish, 1 goby, 3 blue legged hermits, 2 emerald crabs, 1, turbo snail, one sand snails, 1 giant snail, and 1 shrimp. 3 zoas and 1 star polyp. My BioCube 16 is 7 months old now. Looking to add more corals and a nem... but patience is the long game. But I hope you have a successful tank and a wonderful time. Your tank is looking good. Here is a picture of mine.
Looks very nice! I see you have a circulation pump, would you suggest I add that later on when I introduce corals? Definitely realizing that it takes patiences :)

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Here are the videos:

For coral, you could start with zoas, mushrooms, or toadstools, to name a few.

OP
OP
N

newfishhobbiest

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ask away anytime! Yes one bottle would be fine. Personally I prefer a mix of multiple types like I get at Dinken’s Aquatics but many use just Tiggers. Don’t forget that you will need phytoplankton to feed them as well. The hermits and shrimp are scavengers and will eat any leftover fish food your clowns miss. That sounds like a plan with the snails but make sure there is algae in there so they don’t starve and knowing you’ll need to add more when they can’t keep up.
Dinken's look good might give that a try, same price point.

reinert

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks very nice! I see you have a circulation pump, would you suggest I add that later on when I introduce corals? Definitely realizing that it takes patiences :)
I added the circ pump because of the corals. I noticed this setup doesn't circulate well. The pump adds this. I do not yet feel comfortable giving advice, as this is my first tank and the second round of critters to occupy the tank. My LFS has really been my in town lifesaver and thus forum has helped with everything else. From knowledgeable members to great articles and videos, I really can only say listen to these people, well some of them, and you LFS and your tank should be successful. And with lots of patience!

OP
OP
N

newfishhobbiest

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I added .5 gram of Reef Buffer to my 16 gallon tank by mistake, there are only fishes in no corals.
PH is around 8.2 and Alk is 9, Ammonia at 0 ppm, Nitrite at 0 ppm and Nitrate .1 to .5 (it's between 0 and 5 ppm)

I forgot to mix it with RO water. Should I be okay or worried? #fishmedic #reefsquad

OP
OP
N

newfishhobbiest

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_7312.jpg

So I have lot of brown algae what should I do?
I have added copepods to the tank. I have 3 turbo snails and 2 hermit crabs for CUC.

I need to add a skunk cleaner shrimp and nassarius snails, the place near me didnt have it in stock so waiting on it. @Sharkbait19

#fishmedic #reefsquad

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are diatoms - they are a normal part of a new reef tank as the nutrients fluctuate. A good clean up crew will help keep it down, but it will get worse before it gets better.

OP
OP
N

newfishhobbiest

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are diatoms - they are a normal part of a new reef tank as the nutrients fluctuate. A good clean up crew will help keep it down, but it will get worse before it gets better.
yes I am gonna get some more CUC, and have done weekly water changes and testing water, bi-weekly changing filter/media and to make sure it's good. Fishes, Snails and Corals doing good.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have lot of brown algae what should I do?
I have added copepods to the tank. I have 3 turbo snails and 2 hermit crabs for CUC.

I need to add a skunk cleaner shrimp and nassarius snails, the place near me didnt have it in stock so waiting on it.
Diatoms...don't worry about them, they will go away on their own eventually. Some CUC will supposedly eat them, but I haven't had any luck with that when I first started. Just ride them out like many other "uglies" that are on their way!

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back