Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
first all, the fact that it went for it is a good sign. You can try the smaller ones, maybe soak them in Selcon. I am trying to find the link for the link for the live ones. I always soak any food in selcon.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
Sakosreef

Sakosreef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
first all, the fact that it went for it is a good sign. You can try the smaller ones, maybe soak them in Selcon. I am trying to find the link for the link for the live ones. I always soak any food in selcon.
So far I tried the jumbo ones, spit it out. I tried spirulina brine and it wasn't interested at all. I have one cube of mysis and the smaller bloodworms soaking in selcon and garlic, meanwhile its still picking at the purple seaweed and actually eating it. Ill try to order some live bloodworms today and give that a shot!

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is were you can get live bloodworms

OP
OP
Sakosreef

Sakosreef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is were you can get live bloodworms

I don't see live bloodworms on the site, are blackworms and bloodworms the same?

Billldg

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again though, and Jay may end up hating me for tagging him so many times, but @Jay Hemdal is the disease man, so please don't just focus on me, listen to him as well as it may be something else. I say this because I love the Naso genus of the tang.

Billldg

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stand by, I also see the same, I may have named the wrong type of worm, it has been a while since I researched them, sorry. ;Facepalm

OP
OP
Sakosreef

Sakosreef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again though, and Jay may end up hating me for tagging him so many times, but @Jay Hemdal is the disease man, so please don't just focus on me, listen to him as well as it may be something else. I say this because I love the Naso genus of the tang.
I would love to hear Jay's take, I fed the mix of mysis and bloodworms but this time no interest. Very frustrating
I would love to hear Jay's take. I fed the mysis and bloodworm mix but no response this time. Very frustrating to see but he is eating seaweed so I guess ill feed more of that for now while I can get it on to frozen foods as well, I'm thinking of buying live black worms and live brine shrimp from my LFS to see if I can get a response from that. Any other foods you would suggest?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I believe OP stated they just got tang. Did the fish have this pre-existing ? A sudden outbreak is concerning.
Ive seen this at least twice and have reason to believe these whitish blobs are almost certainly neuromast destruction - the mucus filled pit organs of the principal lateralis line of the head. Note how they're bilaterally symmetrical. The cause can be blue/green Algae Toxicity, system and water quality and/or diet.
This may be not your tank water quality but that of the LFS it was purchased from. I would focus on water quality as well as diet. Some suggestions were made. I ALWAYS recommend certain foods for tangs who are herbivores and must meet the demands/requirements of herbivore diets.
These foods are :
-Spirulina brine shrimp
- LRS Herbivore diet
- mysis shrimp
- small plankton
- Nori seaweed basted with garlic extract
- Hikari Marine cuisine
- Formula 2 flake and frozen
- Hikari veggie marine

Add selcon vitamins to the foods 2-3X per week and on alternating days, garlic extract for stamina and immunity health

Billldg

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to hear Jay's take, I fed the mix of mysis and bloodworms but this time no interest. Very frustrating

I would love to hear Jay's take. I fed the mysis and bloodworm mix but no response this time. Very frustrating to see but he is eating seaweed so I guess ill feed more of that for now while I can get it on to frozen foods as well, I'm thinking of buying live black worms and live brine shrimp from my LFS to see if I can get a response from that. Any other foods you would suggest?
I will let you know on the worms, again, I may have miss stated. As soon as I hear something I will let you know. We, sorry, I know its your fish, got to get it eating.

OP
OP
Sakosreef

Sakosreef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe OP stated they just got tang. Did the fish have this pre-existing ? A sudden outbreak is concerning.
Ive seen this at least twice and have reason to believe these whitish blobs are almost certainly neuromast destruction - the mucus filled pit organs of the principal lateralis line of the head. Note how they're bilaterally symmetrical. The cause can be blue/green Algae Toxicity, system and water quality and/or diet.
This may be not your tank water quality but that of the LFS it was purchased from. I would focus on water quality as well as diet. Some suggestions were made. I ALWAYS recommend certain foods for tangs who are herbivores and must meet the demands/requirements of herbivore diets.
These foods are :
-Spirulina brine shrimp
- LRS Herbivore diet
- mysis shrimp
- small plankton
- Nori seaweed basted with garlic extract
- Hikari Marine cuisine
- Formula 2 flake and frozen
- Hikari veggie marine

Add selcon vitamins to the foods 2-3X per week and on alternating days, garlic extract for stamina and immunity health
When I saw it in the LFS, it had no physical markings on its head like it does now. When I observed it in the bag, he had all the marks on his head prior to being introduced to the qt. I have other fish in qt with it and I don't see signs of poor water quality in my qt but Ill do a water change and I've been running carbon as well. Not sure what else to do other than that but I will try everything I've got to get it feeding, so far hes eating seaweed soaked in garlic and selcon.

OP
OP
Sakosreef

Sakosreef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will let you know on the worms, again, I may have miss stated. As soon as I hear something I will let you know. We, sorry, I know its your fish, got to get it eating.
No worries, I know fish disease can be tricky but I need him to eat so ill try everything.

Corals.com

Billldg

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries, I know fish disease can be tricky but I need him to eat so ill try everything.
It is blackworms, not bloodworms, so my bad. I would get them from the place I recommended as they are the only place to get them from anyway, lol. All other vendors get them from there.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fed mega marine algae yesterday, didn’t eat that but this morning I fed some selcon and garlic soaked green seaweed as well as purple, it picked at the green one but was spitting it back out, I put some purple on the clip and came back a few hours later and some of it is gone but can’t see it floating around the tank so I think I he might have ate it or it made it’s way down into the sump.
You need to give it some protein as well, try mysids, gel diet, even pellets.
Jay
You can get live Bloodworms from California Blackworms, they are legit.
Don't forget - a suprising number of people are highly allergic to bloodworms!

jay

Billldg

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay

jay
I meant blackworms.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Sakosreef

Sakosreef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay

jay
@Billldg hi guys, I’m sorry for bugging you but I wanted to give an update and wanted to see if there’s anything else you recommend I do to get this guy eating, I’ve dosed prazi and I raised copper levels to above 1.25, should be at 2.25 in a few days. Still hasn’t eaten anything and I’ve tried everything I have including live blackworms and live brine shrimp. He only eats purple seaweed for now but not aggressively at all. Should I do a ruby reef rally bath?

Attachments

• 63222F34-B19E-4E44-B8B5-7939D9ADD620.jpeg
    63222F34-B19E-4E44-B8B5-7939D9ADD620.jpeg
    153.5 KB · Views: 19
  • 4DF401CE-889A-4B62-AE6D-7ED238B84330.jpeg
    4DF401CE-889A-4B62-AE6D-7ED238B84330.jpeg
    151.5 KB · Views: 20
  • AB063736-81F0-44C0-80F1-335EC856058E.jpeg
    AB063736-81F0-44C0-80F1-335EC856058E.jpeg
    151.7 KB · Views: 21
  • C9843EC5-BA19-4D72-90EB-46CFE9839A96.jpeg
    C9843EC5-BA19-4D72-90EB-46CFE9839A96.jpeg
    154 KB · Views: 22

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Billldg hi guys, I’m sorry for bugging you but I wanted to give an update and wanted to see if there’s anything else you recommend I do to get this guy eating, I’ve dosed prazi and I raised copper levels to above 1.25, should be at 2.25 in a few days. Still hasn’t eaten anything and I’ve tried everything I have including live blackworms and live brine shrimp. He only eats purple seaweed for now but not aggressively at all. Should I do a ruby reef rally bath?
Oh - you need to get your copper up to a full dose in 12 hours or so. I don't know where this "take five days to raise the copper" idea comes form, but it's wrong and I see way too many fish die during a slow ramp up. I often add fish right into full copper and never have an issue. Think about all the dealers that do that as well.

That said the lesions in these pictures look different than what I saw initially. I now can't rule out Brooklynella. Copper won't fix that. A Ruby Reef Rally bath would be a good idea.

Jay

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
Sakosreef

Sakosreef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh - you need to get your copper up to a full dose in 12 hours or so. I don't know where this "take five days to raise the copper" idea comes form, but it's wrong and I see way too many fish die during a slow ramp up. I often add fish right into full copper and never have an issue. Think about all the dealers that do that as well.

That said the lesions in these pictures look different than what I saw initially. I now can't rule out Brooklynella. Copper won't fix that. A Ruby Reef Rally bath would be a good idea.

Jay
Thanks Jay, will raise copper immediately. Will also give him a ruby reef rally bathe today and take it from there.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Copepods
Back