New clown not eating

Rock Pool

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

So got 2 small clowns (+-3cm) about a week ago and added to my tank (+-2 months old).

Tldr: the one clown (black one & bigger of the two) isn't eating... It did have long white poop a couple of days after adding it. Now it's looking thin and lazy - gills seem to be a bit flaired!?

It was previously showing interest in food and was nibbling at smaller pieces of mysis.
*the other clown is 100% fine, eats a lot and has lots of energy
Food: frozen mysis & AF pellets
Parameters:
Ammonia (API) - 0
Nitrite (salifert) - 0
Nitrate (salifert) < 25ppm
Salinity (tropic Marin) 35ppt

Other live stock:
The other clown
3x turbo snails
3x nassarius snails

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you please post another using white lighting and a little closer? Need to be able to see the breathing rate. Also include some clear white light photos too if you can.

What are you trying to feed? Were they quarantined?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This could be a case of aggression, leading to the different coloration and odd behavior. However, it may also be the start of a disease. As others have mentioned, a video under white light would help - does the fish have any other symptoms? heavy breathing, mucus abnormalities etc?

You could also treat your display with ruby rally pro - carefully dosing with regards to the amount of rock/water volume. If you have not done so, you could also put the fish in a separate QT tank and treat with the usual copper/prazipro protocol. Note - it's common for clowns to get a disease called brooklynella - which is not treated with the usual copper/prazipro protocol.

Additionally, white poop, especially after transfer is common (if the fish were shipped) due to the methods shippers use to ship fish.

OP
OP
Rock Pool

Rock Pool

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Pics didn't come out too great - hopefully video is better!?

I didn't QT - they come from a highend store that do a QT when they get their fish shipments in...

Feeding frozen mysis and AF pellets.

Haven't dosed anything and didn't get myself too wound up about the white poop since a bit of research showed it should clear up! More worried now as it's looking thin and lethargic

Attachments

• IMG_20240922_161156.jpg
    IMG_20240922_161156.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20240922_160856.jpg
    IMG_20240922_160856.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 14

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Hi all,

So got 2 small clowns (+-3cm) about a week ago and added to my tank (+-2 months old).

Tldr: the one clown (black one & bigger of the two) isn't eating... It did have long white poop a couple of days after adding it. Now it's looking thin and lazy - gills seem to be a bit flaired!?

It was previously showing interest in food and was nibbling at smaller pieces of mysis.
*the other clown is 100% fine, eats a lot and has lots of energy
Food: frozen mysis & AF pellets
Parameters:
Ammonia (API) - 0
Nitrite (salifert) - 0
Nitrate (salifert) < 25ppm
Salinity (tropic Marin) 35ppt

Other live stock:
The other clown
3x turbo snails
3x nassarius snails
I dont see aggression in the video but the video is extremely fuzzy. Please repost clearer viseo and a length of at least 30 seconds.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @vetteguy53081
New video posted under whiter light and I think I got some decent moments in focus!? - let me know if you need more

Did these two clowns come from the same water system at the dealer?

OP
OP
Rock Pool

Rock Pool

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did these two clowns come from the same water system at the dealer?
Pretty sure - got them a day apart and I think all their stock tanks are hooked up to the same filtration. The FS really is well kept and they do their own QT of all shipments

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm setting up a hospital tank today - recommendation from locals is prazipro and metroplex

The reason I asked is that the brownish one is pretty thin, kind of raged looking, in addition to the rapid breathing....like they came from two different stores of something....

Prazipro is effective against flukes. I don't think that's the issue here, if the fish were from the same water system, they both would have flukes. Also, flukes takes longer time to develop.

The metroplex is effective against internal flagellate protozoans. This could be that issue, but the rapid breathing doesn't quite match up. Still, I'd try that treatment.

There are some diseases that clownfish get (coccidia and some viruses) that can cause these symptoms, but really and just not treatable...

Jay

OP
OP
Rock Pool

Rock Pool

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason I asked is that the brownish one is pretty thin, kind of raged looking, in addition to the rapid breathing....like they came from two different stores of something....

Prazipro is effective against flukes. I don't think that's the issue here, if the fish were from the same water system, they both would have flukes. Also, flukes takes longer time to develop.

The metroplex is effective against internal flagellate protozoans. This could be that issue, but the rapid breathing doesn't quite match up. Still, I'd try that treatment.

There are some diseases that clownfish get (coccidia and some viruses) that can cause these symptoms, but really and just not treatable...

Jay
Thank you Jay,
I wasn't able to get the hospital tank up quick enough and after coming back from the shops I can't find it in the tank (even moved the one pile of rocks)

I don't want to move the other rocks in fear I stir something up but will test ammonia regularly and keep QT/hospital tank running incase water parameters suddently go haywire...

Thanks all for the help!

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back