Bicolor Blenny not eating

rattrapdotcom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i’ve had my blenny for abt 7-8 months and he used to eat like a pig (I mean that in a good, loving way).
but now I haven’t seen him eat in three days!!
i’ve moved all of my fish into a hospital tank after the first full day of him not eating, thinking it was due to illness.
i’m worried this stressed him out and he’s not eating either bc of that, or a sickness, or both ?
his other symptoms were flashing/and rapid gill movement/breathing.
about to treat for flukes bc I just got the prazi in the mail.
all of my other fish are eating fine, especially my two clowns. I ordered copper power to treat for ich/velvet in case, but have heard it decreases appetite so not sure if that’s a good idea.
he likes to hide in the pvc piping and doesn’t even come out or move to nip at the food and spit it back out anymore.
I’m really worried about my lil guy. he’s the first fish I got, and I love him dearly :(

water parameters:
PH: 8
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrites: 0 ppm
Nitrates: ~15 ppm
magnesium: 1450 ppm
Calcium: 440 ppm
Alkalinity: 3.3 meg/L / 9.0 dKH
Salinity: 35
I feed a mix of frozen (mysis/brine/spiralina algae/fish eggs/plankton), pellets, and algae wafers… he doesn’t touch any of them.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
i’ve had my blenny for abt 7-8 months and he used to eat like a pig (I mean that in a good, loving way).
but now I haven’t seen him eat in three days!!
i’ve moved all of my fish into a hospital tank after the first full day of him not eating, thinking it was due to illness.
i’m worried this stressed him out and he’s not eating either bc of that, or a sickness, or both ?
his other symptoms were flashing/and rapid gill movement/breathing.
about to treat for flukes bc I just got the prazi in the mail.
all of my other fish are eating fine, especially my two clowns. I ordered copper power to treat for ich/velvet in case, but have heard it decreases appetite so not sure if that’s a good idea.
he likes to hide in the pvc piping and doesn’t even come out or move to nip at the food and spit it back out anymore.
I’m really worried about my lil guy. he’s the first fish I got, and I love him dearly :(

water parameters:
PH: 8
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrites: 0 ppm
Nitrates: ~15 ppm
magnesium: 1450 ppm
Calcium: 440 ppm
Alkalinity: 3.3 meg/L / 9.0 dKH
Salinity: 35
I feed a mix of frozen (mysis/brine/spiralina algae/fish eggs/plankton), pellets, and algae wafers… he doesn’t touch any of them.
Please post a video UNDER WHITE LIGHT INTENSITY
The symptoms you mention point to gill flukes but not confirmed, but other signs would be flashing, darting across tank, yawning, loss of color

OP
OP
rattrapdotcom

rattrapdotcom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please post a video UNDER WHITE LIGHT INTENSITY
The symptoms you mention point to gill flukes but not confirmed, but other signs would be flashing, darting across tank, yawning, loss of color

this is the video from when he was in DT, I already posted a thread about him but stopped getting responses..
he’s now in the QT but barely moves and mostly stays in the pvc elbow. I didn’t get videos of the flashing but he was definitely doing that and would swim frantically around until I got closer to the tank. he used to come out and swim to the front when I would go towards the tank, but he started hiding or getting stressed when I get near.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0

this is the video from when he was in DT, I already posted a thread about him but stopped getting responses..
he’s now in the QT but barely moves and mostly stays in the pvc elbow. I didn’t get videos of the flashing but he was definitely doing that and would swim frantically around until I got closer to the tank. he used to come out and swim to the front when I would go towards the tank, but he started hiding or getting stressed when I get near.

Really need current, not past video to see body, weight, breathing, etc.
Flukes mat be the culprit and treatment would be PraziPro.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I just treated with the first dose of prazipro, i’ll try to upload a video of him current soon
Prazi will take 2-3 days to begin taking effect and you will want to dose at 80% of recommended and apply initial dosage known as an interval for 8 days, do a water change and do one more 8 day dose interval
Use airstone with prazi as it does reduce both oxygen and appetite. If running a skimmer, leave cup off first 24 hrs as skimmer will go nuts from the glycol solution in Prazi

OP
OP
rattrapdotcom

rattrapdotcom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prazi will take 2-3 days to begin taking effect and you will want to dose at 80% of recommended and apply initial dosage known as an interval for 8 days, do a water change and do one more 8 day dose interval
Use airstone with prazi as it does reduce both oxygen and appetite. If running a skimmer, leave cup off first 24 hrs as skimmer will go nuts from the glycol solution in Prazi
I have two bubbler filters running, is that enough air for 20 G ? and when you say as an interval for 8 days, do you mean to wait 8 days before the next dose ? the bottle say 5-7 days so I def wanna make sure i’m following what you say correctly !

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I have two bubbler filters running, is that enough air for 20 G ? and when you say as an interval for 8 days, do you mean to wait 8 days before the next dose ? the bottle say 5-7 days so I def wanna make sure i’m following what you say correctly !
8 days before next dose, yes and change water in between. Air stone is preferred for added oxygen

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back