Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know what he is doing just got him 1 hour ago just moving tail while against glass also shake head fastly from side to side creating sand dust everywhere

Not normal at all.

What is the salinity and temp? What do you use for filtration?

What are the other inhabitants in the tank?

How did you acclimate the shark?

Ashab Rahim

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do we want to harm the animals or do our part to do what's right?
Anyone with common sense knows this is not right in this day and age. Sorry it bothers me.

Condoning this behavior is morally wrong and bad for the hobby most of us love...
Totally agree with u . But spreading negativity to new people within the hobby makes people resent it, and would most probably push them away from forums like this that support alot of knowledge that hobbiests need when getting into the hobby

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personal attacks will not be tolerated and will result in either a thread ban or a temp ban from R2R, you are all adults so please act like it. Lets try and get the thread back on topic so I do not have to lock it.

200.gif
This is a lost cause. +1 to @fishguy242
Disappointing.
Even if we disagree with OP, attacking and belittling is only going to drive him away. How will he ever learn constructively if the best source of information just ran him off?

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bamboo shark digging through the substrate by thrashing its head around is probably just looking for goodies in the sand. But like everyone else said that shark gets 4 feet long it will need a massive home eventually. What all do you have for filtration other than the water agitation? I would overskim that tank with a massive skimmer because you'll be dealing with alot of waste. Also do you know about grounding the tank? Sharks do not do well with trace electricity in the tank.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tip for sharks in rectangle tanks.

Place rocks in the corners and build a little pile up in the corner. Round out the pile when placing them. This is only a temporary fix, but works great when moving, fixing something on a tub they usually reside in and is great for newly hatched sharks that may need observation and to be kept away from other critters.

Also, if rocks are sump based or no extra available, rounded Tupperware tubs with holes drilled in them will work. I have even used 2 liter soda bottles filled with water to round out the corners for a shark to have a temporary home in a rectangle tank.

End of day, 800 gallon tub with 100 gallon tub for sump/filtration is best for them. Setting up a tub can be done for about 1k if one is thrifty and can find used skimmer and such. Sharks do not need massive amounts of lights, so a few light bulbs above the tank is plenty. Rock should be laid out so the shark has a cave to hide in and water should swirl the tub to not allow detritus to settle.

BRS

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bamboo shark digging through the substrate by thrashing its head around is probably just looking for goodies in the sand. But like everyone else said that shark gets 4 feet long it will need a massive home eventually. What all do you have for filtration other than the water agitation? I would overskim that tank with a massive skimmer because you'll be dealing with alot of waste. Also do you know about grounding the tank? Sharks do not do well with trace electricity in the tank.
+1 on all this. Plus, if I'm not mistaken, that second pic looked like you have a Cobalt heater. Those things, at least in my experience, are horrendous about leaking electricity into tanks (and you!). If you have a multimeter laying around, I'd suggest you check for voltage in the water especially if you have a cobalt heater. Even a cheap aqueon heater would be much better. Just my two cents

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow..

This thread is a clinic on how group think and mob mentality come together to both be unhelpful to the person and the animal.

Welcoming a new member with questions, like that will make them disappear. The righteous soapboxing does nothing to help the animal in that case because op has no reason to listen after person attacks.

Gotta do better.

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow..

This thread is a clinic on how group think and mob mentality come together to both be unhelpful to the person and the animal.

Welcoming a new member with questions, like that will make them disappear. The righteous soapboxing does nothing to help the animal in that case because op has no reason to listen after person attacks.

Gotta do better.
I keep seeing people say this, but you obviously missed the part where they weren't listening saying "the shark is doing fine". In a thread they opened because said shark wasn't doing fine.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
J

Jordan1050064

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don’t need test kits to know your salinity and temp.

9/10 ppl on here who tested their parameters in the past week or two could rattle off their primary figures in a heart beat, by memory alone.
1.024 is salinity and temp is 75 degrees

fishguy242

Cronies
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I keep seeing people say this, but you obviously missed the part where they weren't listening saying "the shark is doing fine". In a thread they opened because said shark wasn't doing fine.
obviously was seeking help ,in panic, my first thought would be ,slow down ,shark is making "bed" only in x hrs in. go from there .HELP,being key word.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

fishguy242

Cronies
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP
OP
J

Jordan1050064

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on all this. Plus, if I'm not mistaken, that second pic looked like you have a Cobalt heater. Those things, at least in my experience, are horrendous about leaking electricity into tanks (and you!). If you have a multimeter laying around, I'd suggest you check for voltage in the water especially if you have a cobalt heater. Even a cheap aqueon heater would be much better. Just my two cents
No that wasn’t a heater it was a green machine takes diatoms away they heat I have using is long and skinny with a red light on top

Top Shelf Aquatics

fishguy242

Cronies
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
On the practical side of things, I think someone’s suggestion to go buy a Walmart kiddie pool is a good one— gives you time to come up with a Plan B to continue to own a shark.
agree 20$ buy two larger ones and keep stacked together.

AS

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
agree 20$ buy two larger ones and keep stacked together.
What about reaching out to a Tractor Supply or Ag supply type place. Don't they have big troughs for horses and such? I've seen them - long ovals. The ones I saw were metal but maybe they have plastic???

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't miss that. I also see it a few times a day in "what's wrong with my corals" threads. Poster says params are "fine". Nobody calls them an idiots.

I did miss the "educated people" trying to be helpful to the human, for the sake of the animal, for two whole pages.

OP made an inadvisable decision which was piled on by person attacks. They came here to try to do better, not be lectured.

Most Google searches come back to here. I believe it's the single best source for SW fish and coral husbandry that exists. Future owners of a bamboo shark searching for information will find this link. We had the opportunity to help all of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
AAF
Back