New ATI Starton Pro Journey.

Trueruby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't see them. One of the reasons I chose them is that you can hide them behind the canopy.
Whats the length of your tank? I have 2 straton pro 102 on 120x75cm, and at %70-80 power I see 350-300 par below water surface. light is positioned as yours. they stay 28cm above the water surface.

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My observations so far is that they certainly grow corals. My SPS are getting close to being out of control. Tend to be a little bluer than the original Straton but have a lot of different presets to choose from. So far carefree.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My observations so far is that they certainly grow corals. My SPS are getting close to being out of control. Tend to be a little bluer than the original Straton but have a lot of different presets to choose from. So far carefree.

So the million dollar question is if the "SPS are getting close to being out of control" is due to the lighting or something else. Something else being hobbyist skill level, water chemistry, daily routine, etc.

Astatically, and output, appear to be great and you are happy. That, of course, is very important.

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO that is always the question. How do you isolate a specific cause and effect in a very complicated hobby? I can only say that I generally have parameters in line although with some large angels and a heavy bio-lode, PO4 is generally higher than ideal. I would always put water quality ahead of lighting as a priority and believe that there are many lights out there that will grow corals well if water quality is good.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO that is always the question. How do you isolate a specific cause and effect in a very complicated hobby? I can only say that I generally have parameters in line although with some large angels and a heavy bio-lode, PO4 is generally higher than ideal. I would always put water quality ahead of lighting as a priority and believe that there are many lights out there that will grow corals well if water quality is good.

Just to clarify that wasn't a challenge to you but rather a generic question to all in the hobby that is often overlooked or not asked. Doesn't matter if it is lighting, additive, other hardware, or a method. A product or hobbyist says exceptional color or growth but clarity is often missing. Market speak if you will.

We're on the same page I believe not that it matters. I personally believe that both ATI with their Straton and Phillips with their Coral Care Gen 2's set the bar higher for all other manufactures. Ignoring price their approach to thermal management is something I wish more companies would adopt. Less heat, noise, and a cleaner look. Of course this is just my opinion and I use neither (use SKY's currently).

The only thing I don't believe I cared for is the quick product change from original straton to the pro but that could be a time to market in the US vs Europe.

Again - apology if it sounded like I was challenging you as that wasn't the case. Hope your day is well.

OP
OP
moosevandyke

moosevandyke

Never a dull moment in keeping a reef tank.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@moosevandyke what's the latest feedback on the Straton ? looking at this as well as an alternative to Radions Gen6 pro
Install is next week! Tank arrived last week getting everything set. We have been playing with them and so far very impressed but that’s just using par meter and spectrum meter out of the water:) so not sure yet.. will post pic once up and running

Ridz19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Install is next week! Tank arrived last week getting everything set. We have been playing with them and so far very impressed but that’s just using par meter and spectrum meter out of the water:) so not sure yet.. will post pic once up and running
Thanks mate.. looking forward for your reviews

OlafsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am building a strictly SPS tank and all has been order and my new ATI lights arrived yesterday. The tank is being built by planet and is 60 x 36 x 30. I will be running 3 ATI Straton Pro 204. I was nervous purchasing them as there is not a lot of info on the web or reviews about the lights at all. However the ones I have read seem to be very positive.

We unbox one yesterday for a quick test. WOW they are bright and beautiful. The design is amazing and seems to be very well made. Incredible thin and no plastic to speak off. We did a quick par test attached photo and in an empty tank and the light disruption was great no disco dance party on bright white sand. The par was insane. In the photo it was 1800 but pushing 2200 and some. Obviously won't need that much but still fun.

I also wanted to document as there isn't a lot of info on these lights.

IMG_5839.jpeg
What made you decide to go with 3x 204s? According to ATi 3 102s would be recommended and have heard a few people running that on 6' tanks?

I am setting up another tank and want to try the straton pros, but have been going back and forth on if 3x 102s will do the trick.

Sounds like @Oldreefer44 had success with the 102s as prescribed by ATi

OP
OP
moosevandyke

moosevandyke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it might work but it’s an sps build. I also wanted full coverage and the look. Here is a pick we finally got water in yesterday. With this build I wanted everything to be right I can always turn down lights.

IMG_4581.jpeg IMG_4580.png IMG_4579.png

Last edited:

OlafsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it might work but it’s an sps build. I also wanted full coverage and the look. Here is a pick we finally got water in yesterday. With this build I wanted everything to be right I can always turn down lights.

No worries, I did see your tank was on the wider side. I hope it works well and as you said you can always turn things down. I was mostly worried about light spillage.

Our new build is 72x30x24 and I am leaning towards 3x 153s

OP
OP
moosevandyke

moosevandyke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my first time with these lights on. I run 6 radions xr30 with t5 on my 8 footer and I have to say the ATI pros light is amazing. It has zero disco no spillage and you can literally stare at the panel. I also hovered my hand, arm etc over each panel and there was no shadowing. Now to see if they can grow acros :)

OlafsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my first time with these lights on. I run 6 radions xr30 with t5 on my 8 footer and I have to say the ATI pros light is amazing. It has zero disco no spillage and you can literally stare at the panel. I also hovered my hand, arm etc over each panel and there was no shadowing. Now to see if they can grow acros :)
That's great news, disco balling with the removal of the diffusers and complaints of electrical hum were my only remaining concerns.

We have kessils + bars on our mixed reef and lps tanks now, but would take an insane amount of those to cover our new SPS tank. 3 power supplies and all that coverage is hard to beat. I used to grow Acros like weeds with halides, and the Stratons seems like the best LED alternative to MH/T5 right now.

Last edited:

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 3 102's give me close to 400 PAR at 75%. I have many SPS colonies growing 36 inches below the lights and in all the corners so I would suggest using the PAR measurement setting from the start so that you don't accidentally overcook anything.

OlafsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Oldreefer44 @moosevandyke Any input on electrical buzz/whine from the fixture or ballast?

Heard a few people mention this and I've been trying to track down if it was their specific settings, unit, and or home outlets or normal operation.

Ps, thanks for the input on these, hard to find much given how new they are to the US market.

OP
OP
moosevandyke

moosevandyke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t hear anything from them. Seem very quiet. I am incredibly impressed on the design, functionality etc just won’t know on acros yet. A friend has 5 over his 2500 gallon testing them against other lights and he loves them!

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back