Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just added a new carpet anemone and he has turned towards a rock face. Should I move him or let him work it out?

Thank you for guidance and help!

9DF7200C-7BD4-4C1F-9D4A-A3EC4CB8D6A0.jpeg

AquaCave Logo Banner
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
KeepAFish

KeepAFish

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He has turned himself away from the rock already. His mouth is out a bit. Should I be alarmed?

also, my cleaner shrimp has been hanging out with him and walking on him. Should I be worried for my shrimp?

Attachments

• 2A222FAC-A10F-4CEC-9467-AA0ACFB86AC0.jpeg
    2A222FAC-A10F-4CEC-9467-AA0ACFB86AC0.jpeg
    174.9 KB · Views: 31
  • 3E68A0BA-7219-4B6F-ADE9-D24B4A510702.jpeg
    3E68A0BA-7219-4B6F-ADE9-D24B4A510702.jpeg
    151.7 KB · Views: 35
Top Shelf Aquatics

Dbichler

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Off topic but your rock looks too clean to be established. Making it hard to keep anemones. If you’re really experienced you may have success. Don’t know your skill level but if you have questions @OrionN is your best bet.

Spare time

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He has turned himself away from the rock already. His mouth is out a bit. Should I be alarmed?

also, my cleaner shrimp has been hanging out with him and walking on him. Should I be worried for my shrimp?

I wouldn't be concered with the shrimp. I would, however, be very cautious with the fish in the tank (except the clowns) as its fair game.

OP
OP
KeepAFish

KeepAFish

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Off topic but your rock looks too clean to be established. Making it hard to keep anemones. If you’re really experienced you may have success. Don’t know your skill level but if you have questions @OrionN is your best bet.
Thank you for mentioning that. It is a newer tank and I have not had a tank for about 10 years. We are keeping a very close watch of our water parameters and my biggest fear is to add anything to the tank prematurely.

We are running a 125g with a 40g sump and monitoring parameters daily through testing and an Apex controller. So far, everything else in in the tank seems to be fairing very well. Of course most everything else is fairly hardy, so that may be a source of false confidence.

I am happy to receive any advice I can get to help this guy and his tank mates thrive. Please share any recommendations you can!

Top Shelf Aquatics

Dbichler

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for mentioning that. It is a newer tank and I have not had a tank for about 10 years. We are keeping a very close watch of our water parameters and my biggest fear is to add anything to the tank prematurely.

We are running a 125g with a 40g sump and monitoring parameters daily through testing and an Apex controller. So far, everything else in in the tank seems to be fairing very well. Of course most everything else is fairly hardy, so that may be a source of false confidence.

I am happy to receive any advice I can get to help this guy and his tank mates thrive. Please share any recommendations you can!
The only carpet one has was 15 years ago under t5 I’ve kept bta and LTA since. biggest thing is keeping salinity perfectly stable and alk in my experience. They really don’t like any change but handle those the worst and water flow after that.

OP
OP
KeepAFish

KeepAFish

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only carpet one has was 15 years ago under t5 I’ve kept bta and LTA since. biggest thing is keeping salinity perfectly stable and alk in my experience. They really don’t like any change but handle those the worst and water flow after that.
That is encouraging. Salinity, alkalinity, and all other parameters have been stable.

I have been reading differing opinions on water flow. I have some Neptune WAVs, one aimed in the general direction and about a foot away. They run at low speed that vary through the day. About 20% during the day and 5% at night on the side near the anemone and double that for the opposite end of the tank. Additionally, there is the sump return that is powered by a Vectra m2 on each side, but that is also turned down to a fraction of power. Do you think I should increase flow? It is turned down on that side primarily because the clownfish seem happiest with a more moderate flow.

I also read that lighting could be an issue. We currently have 3 Radion XR30 Pros on a 6 foot tank, but they are turned down to 50% and running in acclimate mode for 2 days after introducing the carpet anemone.

OrionN

Anemones
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You really don’t need to Acclimate the anemone to the light. I just give them full amount that I think my corals, clams or anemone need from the get go.

OP
OP
KeepAFish

KeepAFish

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keeping an eye on him. He has only been in the tank for about 8 hours, but I was hopeful that he would be more relaxed by now. He is a little swollen and I am hoping that he will be more relaxed by morning.

Is his posture normal for a newly introduced Haddoni?

Attachments

• CBC81FF1-2B1D-424F-8A4E-74033B164CFA.jpeg
    CBC81FF1-2B1D-424F-8A4E-74033B164CFA.jpeg
    197.6 KB · Views: 31
Top Shelf Aquatics

OrionN

Anemones
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haddoni anemone is a sand bed anemone. He will craw down to the sand soon. I would see if you can add a thicker sand bed, 2 inches or so for him to really be comfortable. Small Haddoni anemones may stay on the rock but as they get larger, they will move down to the sand.
He is looking better already.
Your tank is a little new for anemones, but hopefully he will be fine.
Good luck

OP
OP
KeepAFish

KeepAFish

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. I have been following my tank closely and felt good about adding him even though the tank is very new. Now I am losing sleep thinking it would have been better to wait… So far, all seems like it is going well and he may fair well after all, but it is early to draw conclusions.

It doesn’t look like it in the picture, but the sand bed is 3-4 inches. I would be surprised if he stays on the rock, but so far he has really latched on to it. The rocks there has a really deep crevice, so it may be able to stay there if it wants to.

Thank you!

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Reef Brite the professionals choice
Back