Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, rendition number 2 of aquascape. Opened more holes, built from back to front to allow for more depth and "shelves" for corals . . . still not sure - could be more? Let me know what you think! (Also went and got the branch so I can get a better idea of what it will look like! It will go back to curing when I am done! :)
IMG_3862.JPG
IMG_3863.JPG
IMG_3864.JPG
IMG_3866.JPG
IMG_3867.JPG
IMG_3868.JPG
IMG_3869.JPG
IMG_3870.JPG
IMG_3871.JPG
IMG_3872.JPG
IMG_3873.JPG
IMG_3874.JPG

CLICK TO VIEW

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like that @Mini Coop. Make sure you take a ton of detailed photos of each placement or mark the rocks. They never seem to go back together the same way :)

I would add one piece in the front on the bottom of the right side of the cove to extend it on the front for a nice zoa colony ;)

OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like that @Mini Coop. Make sure you take a ton of detailed photos of each placement or mark the rocks. They never seem to go back together the same way :)

I would add one piece in the front on the bottom of the left side of the cove to extend it on the front for a nice zoa colony ;-)
HAHA - I am sure they will not! Going to see if I can find something at home depot today.

Avast

Ento-Reefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your build looks awesome so far. I am glad I found your thread as I am also in the beginning stages of setting up my 180. You are ahead of me as my tank isn’t plumbed yet. Hopefully it will happen tomorrow.

I like what you did with your aquascape, and I second the suggestion on having many swim throughs for the fish.

Daniel Waters

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The scape is looking good. Mine is similar, so I thought I'd post pictures in case it helps. I created a small island / pillar on my far right to house my bubble tip anemone. That was really helpful as it isolates my anemone away from all my corals. Of course, that assumes my anemone never moves, but it's been in the same spot for like a year and not moved. The middle structure is a U shape but turned sideways. I'm not sure I like that better or worse, but the openess gives more areas for the fish and flow (but I like your middle structure better I think). My purple tang pretty much has claimed the big middle area and doesn't let many fish swim through there much. besides, a lot of fish swim near the front pane because they've learned that's where feeding time is!

20171230_143113.jpg

20171230_143051.jpg

20171230_143100.jpg

20171230_143108.jpg

20171230_144422.jpg

Last edited:
AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The scape is looking good. Mine is similar, so I thought I'd post pictures in case it helps. I created a small island / pillar on my far right to house my bubble tip anemone. That was really helpful as it isolates my anemone away from all my corals. Of course, that assumes my anemone never moves, but it's been in the same spot for like a year and not moved. The middle structure is a U shape but turned sideways. I'm not sure I like that better or worse, but the openess gives more areas for the fish and flow (but I like your middle structure better I think). My purple tang pretty much has claimed the big middle area and doesn't let many fish swim through there much. besides, a lot of fish swim near the front pane because they've learned that's where feeding time is!

View attachment 642473

View attachment 642474

View attachment 642476

View attachment 642478

View attachment 642496

That looks great! Did you just stack your rock or bond it somehow? (sorry if you already answered that!)

OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

View attachment 642473

View attachment 642474

View attachment 642476

View attachment 642478

View attachment 642496
I really like all of your little tunnels and coves! Looks great! And that is why I did the island on the right - hoping for an anemone someday soon!

Nutramar Foods

Daniel Waters

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks great! Did you just stack your rock or bond it somehow? (sorry if you already answered that!)
The rock is just stacked. I have a shallow tank at only 18" height, so I basically just have big base rocks and then rocks on top of those, with maybe some flat pieces on top in some other areas. It looks like you have a lot of similar sized rocks, which I think makes it harder to do multi-level aquascaping without using some kind of bonding. Some rock stacks easier than others, also. The BRS reef saver rock I find fits together very nicely and looks like one piece. My rock is 80% Fiji rock that I got like 10+ years ago, and I have some BRS reef saver rock mixed in.

If you're going to do any type of green star polyp or pulsing xenia, I would also encourage you to have a separate island type area for those. I like green star polyp and loved my xenia when I had it, but they do spread and become more like weeds.

Philt56

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you have a really good start. I remember you were trying to really focus on the rule of 1/3 to keep the eye moving in a pleasing way. If you place your showcase/larger growing corals on your branch structure you will nail it. Imagine the rock covered in lg corals and wavy forms. Make sure the structure is more like steps than a pyramid. You need horizontal places to place the corals. It is gonna be beautiful.

Top Shelf Aquatics

MamaLovesHerReefTank

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HAHA - I am sure they will not! Going to see if I can find something at home depot today.
I used the epoxy to do my scape dry. Once I got it into the cracks and crevices using wet paper towels and rubber gloves, I sprayed it with a water bottle to start the curing process. I left it for 24 hours before even checking to see if it would hold. Held up great. Nothing moves at all. Love your second scape. It's going to look beautiful with or without corals.

OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the epoxy to do my scape dry. Once I got it into the cracks and crevices using wet paper towels and rubber gloves, I sprayed it with a water bottle to start the curing process. I left it for 24 hours before even checking to see if it would hold. Held up great. Nothing moves at all. Love your second scape. It's going to look beautiful with or without corals.
Thanks! I think I just did it wrong with the epoxy I had the first time. Hopefully I won't have to do a LOT of epoxy and most will stack nicely, but I don't want any falling either! :)

OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hit a snag last night - we successfully pumped up about 50 gallons of RODI into the main tank. I have a maxspect gyre and MP40, figured that would be plenty to mix some salt up stairs to get the sand in before the tank is full and get the rock in with some stability of the water. The gyre was BROKEN!!! I bought it on black friday from @Bulk Reef Supply, and when I went to run it, the fans wouldn't turn. Upon investigation and troubleshooting videos, the INSIDE ceramic axle (for lack of a better term) was broken!!! I am so disappointed. I ordered it a while ago, so now I will probably have to deal with the manufacturer because I just opened it last night. And everyone is closed for the holiday, so of course now I have to wait . . . (I already have low patience, HAHA). This hobby is teaching me patience for sure.

So - question: If I go ahead and mix the salt and get it where it needs to be, along with the temperature, can I can go ahead and add rock and sand with only a MP40 running until I get the gyre. (bascially go ahead and set up the whole system without it. I think it is ok - flow is mostly for corals, I know, but I don't want to do anything to mess up the cycle or kill my live sand.

Seawater is ready and mixed for the Quarantine tanks! :) They will get filled and set up today! I have sponges in my DT at my in-laws house for them as well. I might make a trip to the LFS to get nitrifying bacteria today too! :)

Top Shelf Aquatics

Daniel Waters

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So - question: If I go ahead and mix the salt and get it where it needs to set up the whole system without it. I think it is ok

Perfectly fine to run with just one pump or just the return pump for that matter.

OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
D63ED199-0220-4D44-B1EA-34D41065E238.jpeg
72AACD37-745A-4A82-B7DB-93D68A8F8B5C.jpeg
B241DCB9-9B42-4F34-80CE-6CEA163CB6DB.jpeg
29C15C83-7B00-4B7A-ACCB-9296E4416798.jpeg
98B3CD8B-593D-4AC8-B27E-2FA489545DE0.jpeg
08897C60-0303-418E-85D2-85B4DF11639D.jpeg
Great start to the new year! First rocks are in the tank! I marked the rocks, numbered them, epoxyd some of them together- and they STILL didn’t go back the same way!! Lol. I’m still very happy with how they turned out so far! 2 structures made and one large Center still to go! New Years = drink a little, play a game, rock work and repeat! Thankful for my good friend, Melanie that helped me get things where they needed to go! She was a huge help!

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see you have THE most important piece of reefing gear - the 2-step stool! Followed closely by the bucket head vacuum LOL.
I am surprised you can't get those at BRS. :D

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
NY
Back