Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi i just made this account to post here im just gonna get straight to the point. I have a 140 gallon tank that im a few steps from getting fish in. Im curious to what i can mix in the tank im planning on a NONREEF tank I wanted to put a few butterflyfish, Tangs, some clownfish and large and dwarf Angelfish. I see multiple posts saying they work and dont work. Some people say its better to add fish at the same time but unsure if I can add multiple marine fish at once without messing up the water conditions. I know which fish i like and would want to have in the tank but i dont want to kill any fish from aggression i also dont know if cleaner crews will be necessary or useful for this tank. Any replies or help would be appreciated. I am not keeping the 140 gallon for more then 2 years looking to upgrade down the road.

Dbichler

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add least aggressive to most aggressive. Smallest fish first usually.Angels before tangs in a 140 max would be 3 tangs. In a 140 Lamarks angel or regal angel are the only large angels I would even consider. Add smaller dwarf angels before large. Tangs add together at once to avoid aggression. Research aggression of each fish before purchasing. Catching fish is no fun task. Don’t add more than 3 fish to start and keep adding more a month or so apart. If you add too quickly you’ll lose fish. If you overstock you’ll lose fish. Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Z

ZachDemitro

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add least aggressive to most aggressive. Smallest fish first usually.Angels before tangs in a 140 max would be 3 tangs. In a 140 Lamarks angel or regal angel are the only large angels I would even consider. Add smaller dwarf angels before large. Tangs add together at once to avoid aggression. Research aggression of each fish before purchasing. Catching fish is no fun task. Don’t add more than 3 fish to start and keep adding more a month or so apart. If you add too quickly you’ll lose fish. If you overstock you’ll lose fish. Hope this helps.
I was hoping to have something around 19 fish
3 Butterflies
2 Large angels
5 Dwarf Angels
1 Foxface
2 clownfish
And 6 tangs
Planning on upgrading the tank down the road and I want to buy them as juveniles not fully grown. The smaller fish the more space in the tank I would assume. I also am making sure none of the fish resembles another too closely color and type. Could this work for a year or two before upgrading to a 200-250 gallon also only 3 tangs in a 140 does that mean no large angels at all just tangs or? I also know it also depends on the fish personality and preferences for species

Upvote 0

Dbichler

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was hoping to have something around 19 fish
3 Butterflies
2 Large angels
5 Dwarf Angels
1 Foxface
2 clownfish
And 6 tangs
Planning on upgrading the tank down the road and I want to buy them as juveniles not fully grown. The smaller fish the more space in the tank I would assume. I also am making sure none of the fish resembles another too closely color and type. Could this work for a year or two before upgrading to a 200-250 gallon also only 3 tangs in a 140 does that mean no large angels at all just tangs or? I also know it also depends on the fish personality and preferences for species
That’s a huge stocking list for 140 gallons especially with large fish. 5 dwarfs would probably be an issue as well possibly a trio but I wouldn’t do 5. Also probably only one butterfly to start. Butterfly’s can be tricky to get eating as well.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Z

ZachDemitro

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
That’s a huge stocking list for 140 gallons especially with large fish. 5 dwarfs would probably be an issue as well possibly a trio but I wouldn’t do 5. Also probably only one butterfly to start. Butterfly’s can be tricky to get eating as well.
I will try to keep maybe 10 fish then and go with the less aggressive and just get more knowledge about what I'm doing. Any idea on having cleaner shrimp or hermit crabs to take care of fish and stuff in the tank considering it's nonreef

Upvote 0

Dbichler

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t believe cleaners shrink really do much for parasites but they are cool. If you’re going fowlr just make sure they say invert safe. Stay away from triggers and certain wrasses as they eat clean up crew. Ask fish have different upsides as well as downsides so just blend carefully. Everyone has different experiences with each fish so go with a majority of opinions rather than the one outlier.

Upvote 0

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Atlantik Icon  reef aquarium LED Bar
Back