Newly cycle using red sea salt

kiyoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I got a 3 days cycled on a column 45 gallon. Im using strips for testing the water however i dont see any problems (like mostly people say nitrates or nitrites will be high) also its been 5 hours since I tried putting mollies and they’re very healthy and active. Im still confused if i should put some saltwater fish

IMG_0403.jpeg

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

First, I personally don't like those multi-test dip strips. Even if they say they are for aquariums, they are usually rebranded swimming pool or drinking water tests, and in my experience not every accurate or easy to read. I would suggest you get a decent aquarium test kit. If you're just getting started, you'll want to be able to test primarily for ammonia and secondarily for nitrate at this time. Salifert makes inexpensive, easy to use, and reliable test kits if you're looking for a suggestion. If you can only get one kit now, get the ammonia test kit.

We would need a little more information in order to help you with your new tank. Please let us know how you started your tank. Did you use dead, dry rocks and sand, or did you purchase some or all live rock from a local store? If you used dry rocks, did you add any kind of beneficial bacteria product, such as Dr. Tim's One and Only, Microbacter7 or Fritz Turbo Start to name a few? Did you add a source of ammonia, such as bottled ammonium chloride or fish food?

I assume the Mollies were acclimated to saltwater? I personally wouldn't add any more fish until you are sure your tank is fully cycled. Typically, that takes A LOT longer than 3 days, unless you use live rock, pre-cycled bio media, or a quick-start bacteria product, like the Fritz Turbo Start.

If you can post back with a little more information about your tank and how you set it up, I'm sure someone will point you in the right direction.

Best of luck with your tank!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

kiyoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

First, I personally don't like those multi-test dip strips. Even if they say they are for aquariums, they are usually rebranded swimming pool or drinking water tests, and in my experience not every accurate or easy to read. I would suggest you get a decent aquarium test kit. If you're just getting started, you'll want to be able to test primarily for ammonia and secondarily for nitrate at this time. Salifert makes inexpensive, easy to use, and reliable test kits if you're looking for a suggestion. If you can only get one kit now, get the ammonia test kit.

We would need a little more information in order to help you with your new tank. Please let us know how you started your tank. Did you use dead, dry rocks and sand, or did you purchase some or all live rock from a local store? If you used dry rocks, did you add any kind of beneficial bacteria product, such as Dr. Tim's One and Only, Microbacter7 or Fritz Turbo Start to name a few? Did you add a source of ammonia, such as bottled ammonium chloride or fish food?

I assume the Mollies were acclimated to saltwater? I personally wouldn't add any more fish until you are sure your tank is fully cycled. Typically, that takes A LOT longer than 3 days, unless you use live rock, pre-cycled bio media, or a quick-start bacteria product, like the Fritz Turbo Start.

If you can post back with a little more information about your tank and how you set it up, I'm sure someone will point you in the right direction.

Best of luck with your tank!
Yes, I bought dead dry rocks from the shop and a live sand about 10kg which they recommend also I used microbacter7 and seachem stability. I havent acclimated the mollies but theyre still healthy and active, about the ammonia i thought it comes with the beneficial bacteria products

Upvote 0

Duane family

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Kiyoy, Trevor here also from Abu Dhabi

As someone else has mentioned the test strips are not great. To be honest its about the worst you can test with. Search online for where you can get API or Salifert tests. You will find completely different results when testing with these kits. And these are also not the best but they will do just fine.

If you have read about how the cycle occurs then that's what will happen. There is nothing in a bottle or anything else that will stop this, maybe speed it up (or slow it down, another topic) but the cycle will happen.

Do not trust most of what the store sales people tell you. Rather research and read about everything online.
Do not put any other fish in your tank yet, just wait and be patient. Give it another 3 weeks then think about adding fish. In that time think about what group of fish you want to have then research/ask about which you should add first. Always have a plan which you are working towards. Never just walk into a store and choose a fish. Plan weeks ahead each time, being successful means having patients and lots of it.

Ask if you need any help
Regards Trevor

Upvote 0

Mr. Mojo Rising

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will need good quality test kits, not API, get salifert or hanna.

I don't add my first fish for 3-4 weeks, you have to be patient in this hobby.

Upvote 0

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I bought dead dry rocks from the shop and a live sand about 10kg which they recommend also I used microbacter7 and seachem stability. I havent acclimated the mollies but theyre still healthy and active, about the ammonia i thought it comes with the beneficial bacteria products
That all sounds good, I think you just need to be patient and let the cycle happen.

The ammonia does not come from the bottled bacteria products, typically you need to add bottled ammonium chloride or some fish food or a piece of shrimp from the seafood market or grocery store as a source of ammonia. In your case, your live Mollies are a source of ammonia, so I think you're good with the ammonia, I wouldn't add any more at this point.

I hope this helps, please post again if you still have questions!

Upvote 0

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back