Need help with my SPS.. Can't figure it out.

TCK Corals

Max93

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your PAR? I find that I’m only successful with acros when I run T5s or halides with LED as supplements. Anytime I run just LEDs I need more par by either adding more LED fixtures or switching to halides.
I had this same issue as you for a while - perfectly stable parameters. Turns out my par was 120 at the top with my AIs at 100%. So I got halides and reefbrites instead now I have 800’par and no more problems.

just a thought, measure your par.

Corals.com

Shevlin77

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your PAR? I find that I’m only successful with acros when I run T5s or halides with LED as supplements. Anytime I run just LEDs I need more par by either adding more LED fixtures or switching to halides.
I had this same issue as you for a while - perfectly stable parameters. Turns out my par was 120 at the top with my AIs at 100%. So I got halides and reefbrites instead now I have 800’par and no more problems.

just a thought, measure your par.

I agree, think that at 85% of schedule and 60% intensity par with LED’s is probably low and needs to be tested.

But wanted to add that you be successful with just LED’s but may not get the same growth as combo lighting. .

Max93

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, think that at 85% of schedule and 60% intensity par with LED’s is probably low and needs to be tested.

But wanted to add that you be successful with just LED’s but may not get the same growth as combo lighting. .
Completely agree. You can definitely be successful with just LEDs but I feel that you spend more money on trying to get the same power as one halide or a few T5s. Yeah gotta switch bulbs but in comparison to how many acros I’ve killed over low par… just my experience though but I completely agree that you can be successful with just LED.

measure par!

Dorsetsteve

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are enough tanks and coral aquaculture facilities growing SPS for us to say that LED can grow corals. There may be better options but it does work. Let’s just put that “problem” to bed and stop chasing an expensive solution to a problem that isn’t. By all means get a PAR meter and test it and make some adjustments if required but adding a different light isn’t going to stop corals dying.
My tanks a bit smaller than yours, and I have strong growth of Acros with a single Gen4 Radion at 60% running AB+.

The corals your purchased, are these still receding or now happy?
Can share your ICP?
Is your Alkalinity stable?
Can you provide some clear photos?

SamMule

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I have had better luck with SPS running ALK in the 7-8dkh range. SPS seems to be much more forgiving at lower alk. Every time I've tried to push it up to around 9+, I have had issues with my acros burning.
Maybe try switching to RS blue bucket.

SillyReef

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no3/po4 seem low I find new tanks like to be higher. Have to find coral that will live and then try to improve health. Numbers can be tricky, the stage the systems at and what’s all been introduced.
I run 20no3
0.4po4
I dose lamthum to keep it down po4.
Skimmer drops no3 right to zero so not using.
I just like to feed frozen and reef roids.

Maxcmo

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with lowering your ALK a bit for now maybe 8 or just under or raising up your nutrients but the actual frags can also be the issue if they go thru a traumatic shipping to get to you. I would recommend buying only frags that have at least encrusted a bit on the plug these always seem to do better and are more hard for me.

World Wide Corals
TCK Corals

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Gluemasters - your best choice for CA super glue
Back