Need help with Concrete-glass connection.

Dule T&T

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, I've been working on some plans for a custom very large tank.
The whole idea is to build concrete tank with large glass "window".
I saw online many people already did that before. Thing is pretty much simple... build a concrete groove and place glass inside.
What I can't find anywhere is concrete information what to apply on concrete to be able to permanently silicone glass to it.

I saw some people talking that they used some "concrete epoxy primer" for that and then siliconed glass into concrete "window groove", but no one says which kind of epoxy exactly (name, brand... etc). Also I saw someone is talking about "pond shield epoxy".... but still can't find any confirmation and precise information.

So, any idea what can be applied on concrete surface to make it suitable for silicone in order to attach glass to it?

Thanks.

AquaCave Logo Banner
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

ca1ore

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I found that exact same thing and even asked question on their amazon page, but didn't get any answer.

I’ve used it on plywood and it seals glass fine, but I’ve not used it on concrete.

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, I've been working on some plans for a custom very large tank.
The whole idea is to build concrete tank with large glass "window".
I saw online many people already did that before. Thing is pretty much simple... build a concrete groove and place glass inside.
What I can't find anywhere is concrete information what to apply on concrete to be able to permanently silicone glass to it.

I saw some people talking that they used some "concrete epoxy primer" for that and then siliconed glass into concrete "window groove", but no one says which kind of epoxy exactly (name, brand... etc). Also I saw someone is talking about "pond shield epoxy".... but still can't find any confirmation and precise information.

So, any idea what can be applied on concrete surface to make it suitable for silicone in order to attach glass to it?

Thanks.

1580960407846.png

Sltloser

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Top Shelf Aquatics

AlexG

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you seal the concrete with pond armor you will be able to seal the glass to the concrete using the right silicone/RTV. One of the reasons that I used pond armor on my plywood tanks is because it can bond with silicone/RTV. I used RTV 108 for sealing my glass. The concrete will need to be acid washed before applying pond armor. I would look at the pond armor website as they have some great guides for how to apply it to different surfaces. The owner of pond armor is generally very responsive to emails if you have questions.

OP
OP
D

Dule T&T

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I found that exact same thing and even asked question on their amazon page, but didn't get any answer.

Actually they answered today:
"Thanks for your question. Yes silicone will stick to Pondarmor. I would fairly liberal with the application and use a high quality silicone for the best results. If you need more help you can call Pond & Garden Depot toll free at 1-866-305-5459 Cody H. Customer Service"

So, I guess this is the one possible way to go.

Nutramar Foods

SeaJay

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually they answered today:
"Thanks for your question. Yes silicone will stick to Pondarmor. I would fairly liberal with the application and use a high quality silicone for the best results. If you need more help you can call Pond & Garden Depot toll free at 1-866-305-5459 Cody H. Customer Service"

So, I guess this is the one possible way to go.
There are plenty of build threads of concrete and plywood aquariums where pond armor was used with consistently successful results. It's also used in a lot of koi pond and water feature applications as well as commercial aquariums and large tanks for dolphins and other large aquatic life. It'll work for you. It is slick, so anywhere you want to attach stuff later, i would surface sand it first.

ca1ore

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Dule,

I hope this helps some, it's an old thread I used to follow on a different forum, but the first page has exactly what was used for putting the glass panel in.

I remember that thread …. really amazing. Not sure, BTW, that you want to sand the pond armor. My experience is that silicone adheres far better to a mirror smooth surface.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

ca1ore

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious why concrete over plywood? I've been designing my next tank (mostly in my head) and concluded that properly braced plywood was easier than concrete and still strong enough.

Smarkow

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Dule,

I hope this helps some, it's an old thread I used to follow on a different forum, but the first page has exactly what was used for putting the glass panel in.

Wow just worked my way through this. No updates in 4 years+. Wonder if he moved to R2R or any other site?

but he does go into good detail re his concrete and glass combo, good memory you have!!

SeaJay

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember that thread …. really amazing. Not sure, BTW, that you want to sand the pond armor. My experience is that silicone adheres far better to a mirror smooth surface.
Pretty sure it’s in their instructions to scuff it with 60 grit before recoating or applying silicone unless it’s done within the first 8 hours or something like that. I could be mistaken, but I looked into it when I built my vivarium. I used pond shield to seal the whole thing, then siliconed the glass in.

CLICK TO VIEW

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Premium Algae Scrubbers from Turbo's Aquatics!
Back