(NEED ADVICE/THOUGHTS) So I did something stupid.. Did I accidentally contaminate my tank with...

BRS

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Now take the tank outside, drain the water, set the tank on fire and then set the water you drained on fire too. After everything cools, line the charred tank bottom with Radeon XR30 pro leds and Phillips coral care fixtures, followed by a layer of Apex controllers, a layer of MP40s, a layer of ricotta and more Apex controllers. Set that on fire too. After that, buy another tank and you’ll avoid those pesky nems.

But seriously, you’re probably ok.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
odds are small,odds are big eventually will get one no matter how careful,don't we all ;) would not lose any sleep over it:)
If you know this reefer personally like I do... you would know..

HE WILL NO DOUBT LOSE SLEEP TONIGHT.. lol

giphy.gif

LRT

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang that sucks man. But you will find out soon enough. I'm trying a orange spotted filefish right now. CBB did the job I jist couldn't get the feed down or didn't have the time to feed it 6 times a day. Beautiful fish though. Orange spotted filefish was $30 at lfs. Ill let you know how it does.

OP
OP
BighohoReef

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
File fish eradicated all aptasia from my tank in a day. Good thing about them is they devour frozen my sis too, bad thing is if they’re bored they will nip coral.
That’s my second to last resort if the shrimp don’t keep them at bay or annihilate them.

BRS

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s my second to last resort if the shrimp don’t keep them at bay or annihilate them.
This was all a grand scheme for a new fish...

giphy.gif

OP
OP
BighohoReef

BighohoReef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang that sucks man. But you will find out soon enough. I'm trying a orange spotted filefish right now. CBB did the job I jist couldn't get the feed down or didn't have the time to feed it 6 times a day. Beautiful fish though. Orange spotted filefish was $30 at lfs. Ill let you know how it does.
That’s a deal! I like that’s it’s not the run of the mill filefish. I’m gonna keep my eyes peeled for one... We’ve dodged a few aptasia bullets in the past, never thought I would be the cause of letting them into the tank.

LRT

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a deal! I like that’s it’s not the run of the mill filefish. I’m gonna keep my eyes peeled for one... We’ve dodged a few aptasia bullets in the past, never thought I would be the cause of letting them into the tank.
Really cool looking fish. Long nose like the CBB. So far all its been doing is pecking at rocks. It's been almost a week. Has settled in well.

OP
OP
BighohoReef

BighohoReef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Now take the tank outside, drain the water, set the tank on fire and then set the water you drained on fire too. After everything cools, line the charred tank bottom with Radeon XR30 pro leds and Phillips coral care fixtures, followed by a layer of Apex controllers, a layer of MP40s, a layer of ricotta and more Apex controllers. Set that on fire too. After that, buy another tank and you’ll avoid those pesky nems.

But seriously, you’re probably ok.
Wait you don’t want me to sell you all my gear for a heavily discounted price? I’ll even throw in some free “nems” for you:) lol

Thanks man I do appreciate it, been one of those special reefing days

OP
OP
BighohoReef

BighohoReef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really cool looking fish. Long nose like the CBB. So far all its been doing is pecking at rocks. It's been almost a week. Has settled in well.
Send me a pic... gonna go on the hunt. I can keep the filefish in the QT, since it’s coming from you I assume it doesn’t eat shrooms :)

World Wide Corals
OP
OP
BighohoReef

BighohoReef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
next order ;)
10 peps
20 nudis
2 matted files
3cbb
2x f aipstasia
2 qt kalk
ok ..ok.. sorry:p
I love it!!! Go full nuclear on them bad boys.

LRT

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Send me a pic... gonna go on the hunt. I can keep the filefish in the QT, since it’s coming from you I assume it doesn’t eat shrooms :)
Lol man. On a serious note though thats a great question. All my fish live in my sumps so I don't have any worries like that at this point. Made best friends with my puffer right away though. Haha
This one is not mine but this is how it looks.
Oxymonacanthus_longirostris_1.jpg

OP
OP
BighohoReef

BighohoReef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals.com
OP
OP
BighohoReef

BighohoReef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol man. On a serious note though thats a great question. All my fish live in my sumps so I don't have any worries like that at this point. Made best friends with my puffer right away though. Haha
This one is not mine but this is how it looks.
View attachment 1771915
$30 is a steal for that file! It’s a great looking fish. I don’t know if I could get away with that in the sump. I’m gonna start researching. Thx @LRT!

LRT

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$30 is a steal for that file! It’s a great looking fish. I don’t know if I could get away with that in the sump. I’m gonna start researching. Thx @LRT!
For sure man. I did a little research in the interim because you got me thinking. At some point I'm trying to get them all in a DT my wife wants to build.
I found a few articles that they can be considered reef safe if you dont keep Acro Millepora. And that they have been observed to starve to death on bleaching reefs if there preffered coral wasn't available. Can be acclimated to feed mysis and other frozen foods.
Don't think I'd get one if I planned on having any Acros anytime soon.

OP
OP
BighohoReef

BighohoReef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For sure man. I did a little research in the interim because you got me thinking. At some point I'm trying to get them all in a DT my wife wants to build.
I found a few articles that they can be considered reef safe if you dont keep Acro Millepora. And that they have been observed to starve to death on bleaching reefs if there preffered coral wasn't available. Can be acclimated to feed mysis and other frozen foods.
Don't think I'd get one if I planned on having any Acros anytime soon.
Well I definitely don’t want any glass nems, and I like the look of that filefish:). I have a Valentini puffer that’s been causing some heartbreak on our Wellso and acros... I love finding nibbled bits of coral in the morning :mad:. I definitely will look into the feeding for the file, worst case I can share him out to my buddy @ReeferBlaine ;) I’ll probably have him the sump like you have. I’ll let the peppermints roam the tank... keep ya posted

BRS

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, if you don’t get them now you will at some point so don’t sweat it. It’s no worse than getting a some peppermint shrimp that’s that.
For aptasia to reach those plague like proportions there’s some serious neglect going on.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Pacific East
Back