Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i try not to use flash on my nocturnal animals but its the only real way to get a picture :/

IMG_2319.jpg IMG_2320.jpg

OP
OP
Sean's ExoticTropics

Sean's ExoticTropics

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS

footgal

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Sean's ExoticTropics

Sean's ExoticTropics

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a cutie!!!! What species?
she is a pacific brown I have no idea how old, and i know the tank looks kinda bad but i bought a really nice thick piece of plexi and im putting that on this weekend so it makes the tank look a little better but she has no tank mates and the little floater in the background has the crabs

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Sean's ExoticTropics

Sean's ExoticTropics

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possible nursehound shark?
i would say yes with the dimensions of the egg but they have more of a mermaid purse than a shark egg, i would totally have a nursehound anyday though

footgal

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im thinking of buying a ray.. any ideas on what kind? also does anyone know if it is possible to buy skate eggs or ray eggs?
There’s a guitarfish at one of my LFS. Someone got it as a baby and gave it to them when it got too big for their tank, it’s probably pushing 3’. They get massive though, they’re my favorite at the public aquarium. I see blue spot stingrays a lot around here, those are the prettiest imo. I’ve never seen skate or ray eggs for sale

Top Shelf Aquatics

footgal

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im thinking of getting a ray OR a shark in my 240G ~80x26x26
what species are the smallest and easiest to keep
I like Wobbegong sharks, very interesting species but difficult to source. They cannot he kept with ANY tank mates, they’ll end up lunch for the shark. A more manageable species would be the Epaulette sharks. Their max size is pretty small for a shark and their natural habitat is a rocky reef environment. They do a lot of midwater swimming as well as chilling on the rocks, in caves, or burrowing. They often breed in aquariums and imo are the best for a beginner who also wants to keep some bigger fish like large tangs, triggers, or angels.

Nutramar Foods
Nutramar Foods

|Tom the Bomb|

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like Wobbegong sharks, very interesting species but difficult to source. They cannot he kept with ANY tank mates, they’ll end up lunch for the shark. A more manageable species would be the Epaulette sharks. Their max size is pretty small for a shark and their natural habitat is a rocky reef environment. They do a lot of midwater swimming as well as chilling on the rocks, in caves, or burrowing. They often breed in aquariums and imo are the best for a beginner who also wants to keep some bigger fish like large tangs, triggers, or angels.
wobbegongs are a definite NO they do get really big like multi meters so theyll need like a 1000 gal tank probably 8x8ft minimum its not as bad cuz like they are super sedentary plus they are only for expert ppl
i was leaning toward 1 of these species: coral catshark, marble catashark, speckled carpet shark, epaulette shark, gray bamboo shark and whitespotted bamboo shark they all get around the 70cm mark all benthic and less active during day eppies are the most sedenatry mostly walking but they get bigger then bamboos and cats while cats get smaller they are more active so which one would u choose
(remeber this is only a 240 gallon tank and will be housed with 3 other medium-large lionfish, 1 xanthospilos moray eel and some scorps
here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/240-gal-stocking-help.748743/

EDIT:
i did some more research and found species thatget only 50-70cm
but im now worried bout the sensitivity to water (fluctuations, parameters, tolerance of suboptimal water, water quality etc.) can someone tell me:hoe heardy they are ^^ and how well they adapt to aquarium life cuz most big sharks arent for aquariums andpoorly adapts and also how well theyaccept food or are they hard to feed and will theybe ok with the tankmates ^^

Last edited:

tvan

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Japanese wobbegong (Orectolobus japonicus) is a carpet shark in the family Orectolobidae of the wobbegong family, found in the tropical western Pacific Ocean from Japan and Korea to Viet Nam and the Philippines, between latitudes 43 and 6°N. It reaches a length of 1 m. Japanese wobbegong sharks typically remain motionless during the daytime, and are not active hunters. They use camouflage and their electroreceptor pores on their dorsal area to help them sense prey nearby.
Same size as coral cats, Mine liked live shrimp.

Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Pirates Reef Corals
Back