Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So... For the past few months all of my LPS corals have been dying in two of my tanks. I cannot for the life of me figure out what is happening. I've lost thousands of dollars worth of rare hammers, torches, elegance corals, gonipora, chalices and acans. The acans have been dropping heads, the torches, hammers and elegances have gone limp and fallen off their skeleton, in some cases developing brown jelly disease after looking damaged. They will look really healthy for a good period of time then die quickly, sometimes after a week with others thriving for over a year...

It's not all at once either, it's really one at a time, almost a chain reaction style. I dip everything before it goes in the tank. It's nothing obvious like getting stung by nems. I have a six stage RO/DI filter and change my cartridges and resin on a regular basis. Have a grounding probe, so no stray voltage. Flow and turnover are good.

In my big tank I have about 15 BTAs, 1 Sebae, 2 LTAs, 1 big Ritteri a number of big soft corals, decent number of mushrooms, zoas and palys. Fish wise I have: 11 Spotcinctus Clowns, 5 PJ Cardinals, 5 Fairy Wrasses, a Powder Blue Tang, a Red Sea Sailfin Tang, a Bluejaw Trigger and a Flame Angel. 2 Cleaner Shrimp, maybe 3-4 Peppermint Shrimp, 2-3 Emerald Crabs, 2-3 small hermits... Tons of snails, but they are fine.

As far as my primary parameters go:
Salinity: 1.025 with minimal fluctuation
KH: 8.5 - 8.8 with no major fluctuations
CA: 420-425 also very stable
MG: 1335
NO: 20-30 (this has gone up over the past 3-4 months, used to be way too low like <1)
PO: 0.03-0.06
Temp: 78-80
PH: 8.2-8.4
Ammonia: Haven't tested for it in over a year, but run a seachem badge in the sump, always yellow, really doubt I've had any spikes, as the fish would let me know.

Did ICP testing with the new place in Colorado. Main things it identified:
- Elevated Aluminum 0.12
- Low Boron 2.32
- Low Chlorine 18884
- Elevated Chromium 0.02
- Low Iron 0.00
- Low Iodine 0.00
- Low Potassium 327
- Low Strontium 3.69

Basically nothing really alarming from what I can tell, just looks like I need to dose trace elements.

Media & Maintenance: 10% WC every other week, oversized skimmer, change filter socks twice a week, dosing NoPoX (half the recommended amount), 3" sand bed, tons of live rock and marinepure, Skimz macroalgae reactor, GFO and Carbon reactors changed every two weeks, CO2 scrubber, UV sterilizer

The tank is about 1.5 years old. 5-6 months ago it was running really well, my LPS was thriving, easy SPS was doing well too. I did have pretty major algae issues with bryopsis and bubble algae. After trying the Kent Tech M method with no success, I used Fluconazole to get rid of the bryopsis. I tried emerald crabs and the sailfin tang for the bubble algae (neither seem to care for it). Pulled all the male emerald crabs out after seeing them pick at corals. Had about 10 female emeralds in there, but none of them did anything about the bubble algae, so I have started removing them as I can catch them. Got some peppermint shrimp to deal with aptasia, which they haven't been that effective with.

Changes or possible culprits that could have caused the issues??
- Nitrates went from <1 to 20-30, but this was over the course of 2-3 months and I was always under the impression LPS liked high nutrients
- Flame Angel or Sailfin Tang... never seen either of them picking at corals, but have heard anecdotes of them doing so
- Hermits and Emeralds... I have witnessed these guys picking at corals and have been actively removing them from the tank... Maybe it's them, but I have my doubts, barely any left and I still have issues
- Peppermint Shrimp... These guys are my prime suspect, since I never see them, but see how my cleaners are stealing food from my nems and could envision them picking at aggressive corals like an elegance. Doing my best to catch and remove them, but they are pretty elusive.
- Changing salt... I couple months ago, I switched from Red Sea Coral Pro to Aquaforest Reef Salt. I've switched back to Red Sea in case it was the salt.
- Some sort of protozoan (i.e. brown jelly disease) attacking them one by one? Seems like it would spread faster, dipping my corals and UV would help avoid it, but who knows...

Pretty sure it's not my lighting, I run gen 4 radions at about 60% peak. PAR is measuring about 375 in the upper 3rd of the tank and around 150 in the bottom. Never placing any LPS high and think they would die a lot faster, or never even open up if I was cooking them. These will look totally fine for weeks or even months then overnight be doomed.

At this point I have basically stopped buying LPS and have resigned myself to nems and soft coral until I can figure out what is killing all my corals. On top of that, I am having very similar issues in another system with similar specs and test results.

Any ideas?

ncaldwell

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had that problem last year. Every day or 2 I would see another head completely gone. I never figured out what it was. About 50 or so different coral heads with no rhyme or reason. I ended up breaking the tank down and starting completely over. Following, I hope someone can help, good luck

MaccaPopEye

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Far out man. Pretty much identical to me. Even similar low trace elements and fluconazole dosing (I would think it was the fluconazole if my issues hadn't of started before I dosed that).
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/lps-issue-driving-me-nuts.297149/page-3
Everyone said I had too low nutrients so I raised them. Didn't help. Then people on FB all said it was heavy metals, did a triton test - nope.

I still haven't found a reason. My coral is still dying. Getting really frustrated. Following your threat too for ideas :(

pscheel2

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same problem with Euphyllias and ditched my GFO and they all came back and haven't had a problem since. Peppermints can also be the problem though.

Gil03

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If one of your LPS get's brown jelly and you obviously have flow in your tank it's possible it's been slowly seeded to your other colonies, particularly if the coral is dying and you pull it out a lot of times that slime gets blown off the most during removing. That's one possibility, the other is obviously your Flame Angel but I tend to think you should've seen him pick at coral by now.

Can I ask what your feeding habits are for your LPS? I've found that in my setup my LPS will deteriorate if I don't feed them regularly particularly my scolymias (PO4 = 0.01/Nitrates = 5). I'd say the best thing for now is to let your system be LPS free for a couple months maybe longer to be on the safe side..this is assuming all your LPS has died already, in the hopes that if it is indeed some disease it runs it's course. Then jump back into a couple LPS frags and use something like Red Seas coral products like reef energy 2 part and then feed them regularly.

pscheel2

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My phosphates are high 15 to 20 with low nitrates. I took that on advice from another reefer now everything has great growth and color. He said let the the tank balance naturally and only add alk, cal, mg as needed.
FTS.jpg
Zoa2.JPG

pscheel2

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If one of your LPS get's brown jelly and you obviously have flow in your tank it's possible it's been slowly seeded to your other colonies, particularly if the coral is dying and you pull it out a lot of times that slime gets blown off the most during removing. That's one possibility, the other is obviously your Flame Angel but I tend to think you should've seen him pick at coral by now.

Can I ask what your feeding habits are for your LPS? I've found that in my setup my LPS will deteriorate if I don't feed them regularly particularly my scolymias (PO4 = 0.01/Nitrates = 5). I'd say the best thing for now is to let your system be LPS free for a couple months maybe longer to be on the safe side..this is assuming all your LPS has died already, in the hopes that if it is indeed some disease it runs it's course. Then jump back into a couple LPS frags and use something like Red Seas coral products like reef energy 2 part and then feed them regularly.

Also do you have a quarantine tank? I would frag off the infected parts, do a dip and put them in qt to try to save what you have left.

Gil03

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also do you have a quarantine tank? I would frag off the infected parts, do a dip and put them in qt to try to save what you have left.
This is very good advice, I ALWAYS cut off any stalk immediately that I see the beginnings of deterioration on to discard and then dip the rest of the colony in an effort to save them. The idea is get the infected head out before it has time to spread to the rest of the colony or worse seed the whole tank via waterflow.

steallife904

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had/have a similar LPS issue. Out of no where my LPS some large colonies just started to recede, drop heads, stop opening... Did water changes, check levels over and over, just couldn't figure it out. Have been told its my low nutrients so started to raise the nitrate and phosphate. Well a few weeks ago while walking by the tank room I look over and see my flame angel going to town on one of my acan colonies. Since them I have seen him nip at about every coral in the tank... even on my SPS. I have tried every way to catch him with no luck. I am going to put a divider in the middle of the tank and pull out half the rock which is going to really suck but he has to go. I will never again gamble with an angelfish.

OP
OP
Elgringodiablo

Elgringodiablo

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Elgringodiablo

Elgringodiablo

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had/have a similar LPS issue. Out of no where my LPS some large colonies just started to recede, drop heads, stop opening... Did water changes, check levels over and over, just couldn't figure it out. Have been told its my low nutrients so started to raise the nitrate and phosphate. Well a few weeks ago while walking by the tank room I look over and see my flame angel going to town on one of my acan colonies. Since them I have seen him nip at about every coral in the tank... even on my SPS. I have tried every way to catch him with no luck. I am going to put a divider in the middle of the tank and pull out half the rock which is going to really suck but he has to go. I will never again gamble with an angelfish.
I've definitely seen my flame angel nip SPS, but not LPS. Try putting a trap in with a mirror in the back of it. That trick has worked for me with more aggressive/territorial fish. I had to pull all my fish out about year ago to go fallow after a velvet outbreak.

OP
OP
Elgringodiablo

Elgringodiablo

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried fragging and dipping. Even gone as far as fragging wall colonies. Done Revive dips, Iodine dips and Furan-2 dips. Usually that buys a little time, but same result in the end.

Fragzilla

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without seeing your corals and knowing more about your system I would be inclined to think your Angel is nipping your brain corals, they are really sneaky and only do it when your not watching the tank.
I'd also suspect your clowns are attempting to host your hammers or just doing the egg laying rub up the stalks, my clowns killed all my eyphyllias.
Flame angels are renowned for nipping LPS, even if they don't actually eat them them pecking stresses the coral and it can't do its functions properly. I used to have one and he would do the same, all my a and were flat and wouldn't puff up. I had to get him out with a small river fishing hook and line.
From research at the time I found out that the really pretty multi bar high colour flame Angels were more likely to nip, think that's due to where they came from, slight morphological variation but different temperament towards corals.

ALbque

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Similar occurrence happened to me. Changed to a different salt and some corals came back., unaffected coral started to thrive. I did lose approximately 5-6 TOTAL CORAL. I Believe I received a bad batch of a popular salt. I used the remainder of it to de-ice my driveway and walkways. FYI, I did a complete water change with the different salt. (Seachem Reef) It worked for me. Hope this helps.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Aqua SD
Back