Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes add the new coral and continue to raise your mag and salinity. None of those low parameters will affect it for a few days or a week. Give it some time to acclimate to your tank before you start moving it all around. As stated cut way back on your feeding or don't feed at all for a few weeks. I rarely feed my acans at most every other week

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
K

Katze

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's low side of normal magnesium, so, yes, you should be fine adding the coral.
Good news for now... the old one did not have 1 bit of recesssion since the start of the week (fed 2-3 times a week apx. 2 days between feedings). The new one still not opened, added 1 day ago into the tank I find this fact weird since I received 2 montis too as a + and they were just broke off in front of me and they look lovely, but the new acan does not look as shiny as them. Never moved the acan and did not dip it yet, for now I'm waiting. Anything to be concerned about ?

World Wide Corals

Tired

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The best you can do for any coral in any circumstance is keep the water parameters good, feed infrequently if it likes feeding, and let it alone. Keep half an eye out for it shrinking down or otherwise looking odd.

OP
OP
K

Katze

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best you can do for any coral in any circumstance is keep the water parameters good, feed infrequently if it likes feeding, and let it alone. Keep half an eye out for it shrinking down or otherwise looking odd.
Shrinking ? You mean recession or not puffing up? Also today I gave 1 head 1 artemia just in case but no response.

Last edited:

Tired

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Either of those things would be bad. Lack of expansion generally means something is irritating the coral (too much light, too much flow, parameters off), shrinking means the coral's health is actively suffering. Though worth noting that new corals may not fully expand for a bit, as they have to adjust to everything.

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
K

Katze

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either of those things would be bad. Lack of expansion generally means something is irritating the coral (too much light, too much flow, parameters off), shrinking means the coral's health is actively suffering. Though worth noting that new corals may not fully expand for a bit, as they have to adjust to everything.
If the current state continues I'll upload a picture next day/2 days later. (note that I'm somewhat irritated by the fact that it was freshly fragged, a few days earlier before I bought them, according to the seller + poorly fragged)

CLICK TO VIEW
OP
OP
K

Katze

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE: I watched my tank for about an hour and I discovered a weird behaviour and I have no idea what's causing it nor the effects. So my new acan is opening and closing troughout the day just like my hawaiian ppl eater zoa.

-PO4: 0,41 yes I know that it is high, I installed a temporary refugium (is very small) until my reactor is ready.
+acan is finally feeding (not on my food that I give em)

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

Katze

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello ! I have a smaller problem now with the new one, I'm concerned that very very slowly the same is happening to this which happened to the other one. Tissue is retracting but for now only on one side (which I think has more flow)
Infos: 1 week since added, not dipped, PO4: 0,4X (the other doesn't care about this), salinity 1025, flow maybe be a tiny bit high for it's liking: I bought 3 frags of zoas (3 days ago) and used them as a flow barricade new acan opens up a bit but never fully and never puffs up (too much light? it's on the sandbed but still).

What am I planning ?: I'd like to put it next to my 1st acan (all of them are lordhowensis) but I'm not sure if I should do it because only a week passed since adding this frag.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Tired

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If it's retracting on the side with more flow, either divert the flow away from it or move it somewhere else. Not fully opening would be another indicator of too much flow- they really don't want much. It should definitely be moved now, to prevent further damage.

OP
OP
K

Katze

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pictures:
IMG_20230420_200910.jpg

IMG_20230420_201000.jpg

Tired

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I try not to move corals, but a week between moves is generally fine, provided you aren't moving at the end of every week. And that is an acan having a bad time, so you should move it now. Moving it to a different area in the tank is less stress than leaving in a place that will continue to damage it.

Matt Bravo

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I see you’re having a bit of trouble with LPS, the problem is not that the tank is young or unstable. The problem is 1) those nitrates are crazy high (IMO) and 2) LPS love higher magnesium levels. What light do you have and what intensity % are you running. It’s a lot easier to harm corals because of too much light than too little. They can’t actually be hurt from too little light. I would regiment ramping them wayyyyy down (if it’s really high) also you gotta those nitrates down bro. If your scan does not go well I would recommend to stop buying corals and fix whatever is going on in the system. There was a time where I also could not even keep softies alive. Gotta be patient or your gonna dig a really deep hole in your wallet

Matt Bravo

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I see you’re having a bit of trouble with LPS, the problem is not that the tank is young or unstable. The problem is 1) those nitrates are crazy high (IMO) and 2) LPS love higher magnesium levels. What light do you have and what intensity % are you running. It’s a lot easier to harm corals because of too much light than too little. They can’t actually be hurt from too little light. I would recommend ramping them wayyyyy down (if it’s really high) also you gotta those nitrates down bro. If your acan does not go well I would recommend to stop buying corals and fix whatever is going on in the system. There was a time where I also could not even keep softies alive. Gotta be patient or your gonna dig a really deep hole in your wallet
*fixing some type-os

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
K

Katze

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I moved the colony, my anthias bumped into one head and I could clearly tell that there is a bit of extension/puffing.
I'm thinking about iodine dip if still won't open as it has to in 2-3 days.
I'm also planning to dose NOPOX yet again, but won't they cause more infection for the acan if it is a bacterial inf. ?
Also could you compare their requirements to discosomas and zoas please ?
(NO3 is sitting about at 50-70 on a salifert test)

OP
OP
K

Katze

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just tought about something... I sometimes dose a bit of LaCl for phosphates, could that irritate them ? According to guidelines 1ml for a 100l to decrease 0,1 mg of PO4(currently 0,45). I only dose 1ml for 200l which should equal to 0,05 change - 0,02 from feeding = 0,03 change per dose. Is that too much for acans?
I read that high Ca can also cause similar issues mine is 460 which is as far as I know it is high for them. But such a tiny looking offset, still is it an issue ?
Light settings:
cool white: +60
blue: 90%
green: 10
red: 15
warm white: 20%

Last edited:
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Ultimate Corals
Back