Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's that place's phosphate? Might be less about the amount of nitrate and more that your phosphate is only kinda high, not super high. Those need to be balanced.
Large percentage water changes will help. That algae reactor will also help, but its easier with reactors to already be in a good spot with nitrates and tune the lights on the reactor to maintain your good nutrient levels, rather than depending on it to drastically lower them. Reactors, Scrubbers, and Refugiums usually take a while to get fully going.
I'm gonna go with the super high nitrate
Hey !
So to my 2nd question: I've ordered a newer acan colony, cheato comes with it as a bonus, so I'll set up the reactor the day it arrives. What could I do to prevent death on my new one, where should I place it (see the picture above and as I said I'm bad with placement)?

Nutramar Foods
Avast
Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
K

Katze

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, I missed that post. You do want to not add corals to a tank with wonky parameters. Confirm that you have a correct reading, then you should be able to fix it with water changes.
What should I do with the new one ? I can get mg back on track (in the range of acan minimal preference) in 1-2 days but the acan arrives tomorrow and I can do nothing. Will it survive without any demage done to them ?

mjw011689

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should be fine as long as you can bring it up as much as possible before it arrives and you give a nice long acclimation. You could also just mix some new saltwater and acclimate it to that until you’re able to bring the mag up in the tank. Basically what coral shows do… they just put everything in freshly mixed saltwater and it’s all fine.

OP
OP
K

Katze

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should be fine as long as you can bring it up as much as possible before it arrives and you give a nice long acclimation. You could also just mix some new saltwater and acclimate it to that until you’re able to bring the mag up in the tank. Basically what coral shows do… they just put everything in freshly mixed saltwater and it’s all fine.
Genius idea ! Thank you !

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
K

Katze

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This should go without saying, but make sure you still give some flow in whatever container you keep it in, and lighting if possible, although if it’s just a few days that won’t really change much.
well according to some +100ppm / day for Mg mine is over 1100 which equals to atleast 1-2 days in container

Top Shelf Aquatics

JCM

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you verified that mg level with a second test? Why is it so low if you are doing regular water changes. Have you tested fresh saltwater to see where it's at? Rodi always used? Tds?

Nitrates are not killing it. Too much light probably isn't either. Too little light will cause it to overexpand like mentioned elsewhere.

Sounds like you were moving it frequently, dipping it frequently, and way overfeeding. These things might've culminated in its demise.

OP
OP
K

Katze

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you verified that mg level with a second test? Why is it so low if you are doing regular water changes. Have you tested fresh saltwater to see where it's at? Rodi always used? Tds?

Nitrates are not killing it. Too much light probably isn't either. Too little light will cause it to overexpand like mentioned elsewhere.

Sounds like you were moving it frequently, dipping it frequently, and way overfeeding. These things might've culminated in its demise.
TDS is perfect (0).
Mg should be 1300 according to my salt. (dupla marin)
I have no idea why Mg is low I don't keep stony corals except this. Will do the tests again tomorrow.
Thank you for the tips I'll be sure to not do the mentioned ones too often !

OP
OP
K

Katze

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That'll work fine with flow and some indirect light. Heck, it'd be okay for 1-2 days in shipping, never mind in a nice container with a little light.

So I'm gonna go with plan A (containing the coral until Mg is good) Anything to be concerned about the new one: not the best fragging, some polyps are demaged like cut into. Iodine dip? Also I usually never dip corals since I always inspect them and the place where I buy them from is very sterile in terms of pests .

OP
OP
K

Katze

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A gentle, properly diluted iodine dip (look up the right ratio, I don't recall) can be good. Other than that, set it in place and let it alone.
I remeasured Mg today and came out 1260, Salinity 1024 ( increasing to 1026) Can I just add the coral after acclimatising ?

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Legendary
Back