Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lost my first fish yesterday, absolutely gutted as my little tailspot was a real character and the tank feels much quieter without him.

Looking for any possible advice on why he might’ve died?

The tank mates were a clown and a hectors goby, all of which he would regularly swim with and get on well with.

My tank has plenty of film algae and a tiny bit of hair algae, I added sea veggies from two little fishies that he didn’t seem particularly interested with but he would graze the rock work every day and would greedily go for frozen mysis.

He would never display his stressed white bands except for when sleeping and didn’t look underweight from what I saw?

I had him for about 2 and a half weeks.

I was away for one day and found him on the back of the power head (this never fully turns off just down at night and he was plenty strong enough to avoid it.

No nitrite or ammonia, nitrate at 10pm and phosphate at 0.2

All fish showing no signs of distress at all.

Any clues?

Thanks in advance

90144E73-EC2D-4D42-A5BD-52E9360C06FD.png D058CFF2-15A8-438B-97C3-932C1FC8617B.png

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
H

harry98

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a further update, I wonder whether there was too much mysis in his diet for a herbivore and this caused him some internal issues? If so for future how would you suggest adding more greens to a herbivorous fishes diet? He seemed completely uninterested in the clip even outside his main den whilst my goby will pick at it.

csturgis1989

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at the picture it does look a little on the thin side with its stomach recessed. Nori or hikari algae wafers work well. I don’t think it was bullied, my TSB is the aggressor even towards my clowns. Best of luck

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
H

harry98

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at the picture it does look a little on the thin side with its stomach recessed. Nori or hikari algae wafers work well. I don’t think it was bullied, my TSB is the aggressor even towards my clowns. Best of luck
Thank you for the reply, I’ll definitely make sure I get some of both to offer a variety in future

OP
OP
H

harry98

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like you mentioned before this is why you should never have your power head’s completely turn off unless supervised hahaView attachment 3010964
I had exactly the same thing haha, when I first introduced my hectors goby I’d turn off the power heads for a few hours at a time as he wasn’t the strongest in the current and it would let him get a few hours of feeding in. Did this for a few weeks manually and considered doing it on a timer until I saw the blenny hanging about in there. Lucky the goby is now happy in the flow now and out all day!

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Tenecor Aquariums
Back