• Poll closed .

dwarfseahorse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! We have a mystery on our hands.

My Yellow Clown Goby has not been seen in 2 days. He was reported missing Sunday, last seen Friday evening. I have a 25G AIO, without a lid.

I have a decent amount of rockwork, and most of it has been visually inspected. My sand shows no signs of a recent death. I inspected all AIO compartments, though cannot inspect underneath the return pump. I have 5 red-legged hermit crabs as a CUC, with 2 clownfish as the other companions. All areas external of the tank have been checked, within reason. I only visually inspected part of underneath my bed. I have checked every crevice possible. I do not have an ammonia test to check for a spike.

Please enter your votes! I will post the results once a conclusion is reached. The Goby is either..

Hiding in rockwork, somewhere/somehow, as they do..
Died and was cleaned up by 5 hermits, with no evidence to remain.
Jumped out of the tank and hopped some distance to a remote location.
Jumped into the AIO compartment and is hiding or dead under the return pump.
There is a slim chance it's within the sections between AIO compartments, though with flow and size unlikely.

I hope he/she is ok. Here's a photo for you. This happened the day before my KrakenReef lid arrived.

View recent photos.jpeg
I have gone through the same thing with my goby but it always turns out it is deep into one of the caves that the pistol shrimp keeps digging. Since they usually are always together, I finally figured out that sometimes the goby will stay inside the caves where it can see the shrimp but does not have to actually come out of the cave unless needed. The pistol shrimp is constantly taking food into the caves so I've never had to worry about either of them not eating. Never thought a tank could have so many underground caves.

OP
OP
harlequinfanaticyert

harlequinfanaticyert

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re taking to me.. back then I had a canister filter lol, so I doubt it.
May have been me. I did not see him.

My Yellow Clown Goby has not been seen in 2 days. He was reported missing Sunday, last seen Friday evening. I have a 25G AIO, without a lid.

I have a decent amount of rockwork, and most of it has been visually inspected. My sand shows no signs of a recent death. I inspected all AIO compartments, though cannot inspect underneath the return pump. I have 5 red-legged hermit crabs as a CUC, with 2 clownfish as the other companions. All areas external of the tank have been checked, within reason. I only visually inspected part of underneath my bed. I have checked every crevice possible. I do not have an ammonia test to check for a spike.

Please enter your votes! I will post the results once a conclusion is reached. The Goby is either..

There is a slim chance it's within the sections between AIO compartments, though with flow and size unlikely.

I hope he/she is ok. Here's a photo for you. This happened the day before my KrakenReef lid arrived.

View recent photos.jpeg
UPDATE:

I have found a heavily injured gorilla crab which I have removed from my tank. I believe the gorilla and goby had a bout. A terrible ending to this story

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0

View recent photos.jpeg
Check tank overflow, sump, floor and even just hiding well

JohnC86

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

View recent photos.jpeg
My goby disappeared for a couple of weeks, I found him in my sump when I was cleaning out the filter socks. He was in the overflow area that drains into the socks.

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 green band gobies in a tank. 1 of them hides 99% of the time and I keep thinking he is dead but then he reappears one day. I have not seen him in a couple weeks; once again I am thinking he is dead but he could just be nocturnal or something....

BristleWormHater

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my first fish was a yellow clown goby, the moment he entered my tank he hid under a rock. That was the last time I saw him and that was 7 years ago. I think it’s safe to say that he’s dead.
That's what you think
luke skywalker GIF

God I hated those movies

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back